276 replies to this topic

#141 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,469 posts

Posted September 30, 2013 - 08:21 PM

how many of you agree with this?

http://www.youtube.c...oDNOpeWWo#t=120

personally, i like the parliament and city scenes but i agree with the gritty and non-cute stuff

bw1wOGf.png

#142 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,008 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 30, 2013 - 08:34 PM

sounds like someone that's just trying to hate on the prequels

Pau Gasol is GONE

#143 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 30, 2013 - 09:29 PM

Not hard to hate the prequels, since they are undoubtedly inferior films in every respect.

#144 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,008 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 05:51 PM

There's not a slightest bit of truth in that, but ok.

Sincerely Truman is an ad agency that's trying to force their opinion(s) on people. Apparently unbeknownst to them...there ARE people who like the prequels.  

a publicity stunt for Sincerely Truman

Rule 1: The setting is the frontier

Well look, parts of the story took place "in the city" and "in parliament" because of the timeline. The story wouldn't have the same "deception" without illustrating Palpatine/Sidious maniacal brilliance in that setting. Of course the originals happened "away from civilization"...the Jedi were pretty much extinct and the Sith (Sidious/Vader) ruled the galaxy. Set in the frontier? I like how the vid shows Luke standing out in the desert of Tatooine; guess what? Jinn found Anakin there...IN EPISODE ONE.

Rule 2: The future is old  

So there's a problem with the J-type 327 Nubian Royal Starship being "clean" and "new"? I mean, I guess if it was stationed in the desert world of Tatooine, it'd be "gritty" then.  :judge:  Look, Han Solo wasn't around at the time so there was no way we were going to see him or the Millennium Falcon. Again...TIMELINE.

Rule 3: The force is mysterious

There really wasn't too many "explanations" in the prequels. You'd really have to get into the novels for that. Yeh, Yoda used the Force to lift Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp on Dagobah without much of an explanation but the same thing happened in EP2 when he saved Anakin/Obi-Wan from being squashed by Dooku. Did you get any explanation as to how Sidious combined lightsaber skills + mastery of the dark side of the force to defeat four Jedi Masters at once? No, you didn't. There's some mystery for your ass.

Rule 4: Star Wars isn't cute

Really? Then how do you explain those ugly ass over-grown teddy bear Ewoks in the originals?

star-wars-ewok.gif

Edited by Windu, October 01, 2013 - 05:56 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#145 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,008 posts

Posted October 01, 2013 - 06:34 PM

good read

http://whatculture.c...-evaluation.php

Pau Gasol is GONE

#146 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,290 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted October 01, 2013 - 10:23 PM

Interesting read

But i can't agree with the point of anakin fall was great, that sucked we saw from a mile away.
Yoda's advice as anything he said can be interpreted in many ways. In my opinion when he said he had to let go anything he fears losing, I usterstood that he need to realize that it will eventually happen, he will lose the people he care for anyway, due to age or tragedy and he needed to understand... That people die and you got to deal witj that
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

#147 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,008 posts

Posted October 02, 2013 - 07:54 AM

Interesting read

But i can't agree with the point of anakin fall was great, that sucked we saw from a mile away.
Yoda's advice as anything he said can be interpreted in many ways. In my opinion when he said he had to let go anything he fears losing, I usterstood that he need to realize that it will eventually happen, he will lose the people he care for anyway, due to age or tragedy and he needed to understand... That people die and you got to deal witj that

Well, let's look at what the article said:

Equally for all its flaws the tragedy in the prequels ultimately ends up largely well handled. Anakin’s fall is a far more interesting story than what a lesser, more ‘Hollywood’, mind could have conjured as through out the trilogy Lucas laid increasingly significant reasons for why this hero may fall; the loss of his mother, his inability to conform to the Jedi way of life, his friendship to the corrupting Palpatine, his increasing suspicion of the Jedi Council, the duality of both his love and resentment for Obi Wan, his marriage to Padme and his fear of her death. Unfortunately the moment of his transformation, after saving Palpatine from Windu, is a little rushed and it was not good writing to have his first act after his baptism as Darth Vader be the slaughter of Jedi younglings, particularly given it was primarily his love of Padme, who would have been rightly horrified at his actions, that lead to this moment (though I’m sure in a few releases Lucas will correct this and make the youngling strike first!)  However the groundwork is all there for the transformation and provided a much richer, though certainly not as well told, story than the original series.

It didn't say Anakin's fall was great...just that it was interesting:

- The loss of his mother 

- Inability to conform to the Jedi way of life

- Friendship with Palpatine/Sidious

- Suspicion of the Jedi Council

- Duality of his love/resentment for his master and friend Obi-Wan

- Marriage to Padme and fear of her death

I do agree that things were rushed after Anakin's transformation. On the other hand, Anakin is so hell-bent on saving Padme that he was willing to do ANYTHING...including slaughtering younglings.

Anakin wasn't interested in hearing anything that didn't help him further his goal of saving Padme. When I read the novel of Episode III, I remember the meeting between Yoda and Anakin when Yoda told him:

Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.

Well, Anakin wasn't interested in hearing that. Anakin wanted information on how to save Padme. In fact, iirc...in the novelization, after the meeting, Anakin scoffed at Yoda's advice. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,373 posts

Posted October 15, 2013 - 01:24 AM

Star Wars - General John Madden

jedi.gif

yo.

#149 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,753 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted October 15, 2013 - 03:55 AM

There's not a slightest bit of truth in that, but ok.

:laughing: 

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#150 flota

flota

• 2,290 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:19 PM

@windu

Thats the main problem, the jedi were too casual with anakin.
They disregarded millenia of upholding the code for that boy
Last time that happened we got exar kun and queldroma affair, a jedi vs sith war and a intergalactic war.
Obi wan was to attached to the boy that he trained him as his.

That was the point yoda tried to make to him
The more you try to keep something the faster you lose it
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

#151 flota

flota

• 2,290 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 07:21 PM

Anyway thanks for the debate
First time in years I enter into a discussion about star wars
Imposible is nothing.

#152 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,008 posts

Posted October 20, 2013 - 08:57 PM

They didn't really have a choice since most of them believed Anakin was the Chosen One. He took a bit of a "detour" (lol) but he really was the Chosen One. 

I think the Jedi's main problem was Sidious/Palpatine. How he molded and shaped the galaxy like he wanted and destroyed the Jedi Council was just masterful. Virtually everything that was going on, Sidious had a hand in. 

I'm always up for Star Wars debate. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#153 flota

flota

• 2,290 posts

Posted October 21, 2013 - 09:08 PM

I always thought that luke was the chosen one :P at least that's how i see it.

Sidius was a master planner, but some things were really random events.
Anakin was one of them, but he knew how to build from the unexpected.
The jedi killed themselves, they should have checked every data from the kaminoans about the clone army.

The complacency of thousands of years without a fight got the better of jedi order.
With all the records they keep, they should have been able to see that they always lose the first fight and win in the counterattack
Imposible is nothing.

#154 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,008 posts

Posted October 22, 2013 - 08:32 AM

I always thought that luke was the chosen one :P at least that's how i see it.

Sidius was a master planner, but some things were really random events.
Anakin was one of them, but he knew how to build from the unexpected.
The jedi killed themselves, they should have checked every data from the kaminoans about the clone army.

The complacency of thousands of years without a fight got the better of jedi order.
With all the records they keep, they should have been able to see that they always lose the first fight and win in the counterattack

In novelization, Luke Skywalker restored the Jedi Order. Anakin Skywalker restored balance to the Force (by tossing Sidious). 

In a way, the Sith committed suicide.

The Grand Experiment was conceived by the Sith Lord Darth Plagueis's desire to create a life form by gaining control of the midi-chlorians, the sentient microscopic organisms that enabled certain beings to wield the power of the Force. Not only did the Dark Lord deem the project a failure, his efforts ultimately backfired and caused the midi-chlorians to create Anakin Skywalker, the prophesied Chosen One of Jedi legend who was destined to restore balance to the Force by destroying the Sith.

I said it before, but the Darth Plagueis novel is a really good read.

Edited by Windu, October 22, 2013 - 08:32 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#155 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted October 24, 2013 - 04:34 PM

http://insidemovies....nplay-breaking/

I imagine they'll be tweaking this until the 11th hour.

With Kasdan more involved in the writing it makes me wonder if he's finally going to get his wish of killing off Han Solo early in the film.  it certainly would be a great rallying point for other characters.

• 40,373 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Found: Old LaserDisc with new 'Star Wars' footage

A LaserDisc that has apparently been in limbo for 30 years has been recovered, and it contains never-before-seen behind-the-scenes footage of "Star Wars Episode IV: Return of the Jedi."

A Facebook group calling itself Return of the Jedi long lost Edit Droid Laserdisc Discovered found the LaserDisc on eBay for $699. It contains 50 raw, unedited takes of the scenes on Dagobah starring Luke Skywalker and Yoda.

SW_610x280.jpg

FULL ARTICLE inside link.

yo.

#157 fido

fido

• 10,829 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 07:22 PM

Very cool.

#158 flota

flota

• 2,290 posts

Posted October 26, 2013 - 09:14 PM

I really dont see the throwing of sidius as restoring the balance to the force, if we look at the EU sidius make it to another clone...
In the EU we got jedi/sith with godlike powers and the movies don't show this
Yoda and sidius could have leveled the entire senate just with their warmup
Imposible is nothing.

#159 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,008 posts

Posted October 27, 2013 - 12:30 PM

I really dont see the throwing of sidius as restoring the balance to the force, if we look at the EU sidius make it to another clone...
In the EU we got jedi/sith with godlike powers and the movies don't show this
Yoda and sidius could have leveled the entire senate just with their warmup

Remember, "balance to the force" is a Jedi axiom...so to speak. In other words, from the Jedi's point of view, as long as there aren't Sith manipulating the force for evil intents, then the force has balance. All you have to do is look at the contrast between the Jedi Code and the Sith Code.

There couldn't possibly be any balance with someone as powerful as Sidious ruling the galaxy. That's one of the reasons I enjoy the novelizations: The power of the force is illustrated so much better. 

Pau Gasol is GONE

#160 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,109 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted October 27, 2013 - 07:55 PM

img-bb_bw_classic_jedi_sample.jpg

uUcblFp.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users