fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,871 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 25, 2014 - 07:01 PM

Haha!

Why you hold onto this so adamantly is funny. They said the story isn't based on any previously published EU stuff, that's what I've been saying and what the article said.

Lucas said the story ended after ROTJ when everyone was asking him to the next trilogy, before he sold it to Disney. Everything has changed now. It's connected to the original trilogy whether you like it or not.

The reason all of the EU exists and why Lucas approved it is two fold. It kept the pressure of making more movies while he pursued other projects on other's shoulders. Two, it turned a buck when Star Wars was a quiet property. That's no longer true. They said they're now monitoring it all closer and making it a cohesive story throughout since Star Wars flicks will be arriving with much more regularity.

Access to the EU means they can draw names or characters from there if they wish. They will now and then to make some fans happy, but mostly it won't happen often with story, maybe with characters and locations.

Like it or not its tied to the original trilogy you so callously called "amateur hour". And that's the way it should be.

#242 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted April 25, 2014 - 07:12 PM

What is this?

I've cited words directly from "the horse's mouth" in Kennedy and, in the past, from Lucas himself (who has a habit of changing his mind/contradicting himself). 

Regarding the EU:

it is not being discarded

Straightforward.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#243 fido

fido

• 11,871 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 07:47 PM

Yeah dude, you're not reading the whole thing from anyone. You're taking what you want and trying to prove a point I'm not fighting.

Not being discarded means drawing character names, locations or something from it. But story elements, the most important thing next to characters you care about are new and original.

The Lucas words are from when it was still his property and he isn't want to go back into making a new trilogy. Meanwhile you're ignoring the story from today stating that its an original story.

You're picking a fight that doesn't exist because of this love of professional fan fiction.

#244 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 07:49 PM

I know what discarded means. 

I've read more than enough articles on this to form MY own opinion. 

No one is picking a fight. You just hate all things post ROTJ.

Edited by Windu, April 25, 2014 - 07:49 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#245 fido

fido

• 11,871 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 07:56 PM

No I don't. As with all your arguments. You argue primarily from emotion and assumption, not advisable.

I don't hate all things post ROTJ, you're making that up in order to throw me off track and grant an empty validity to your end of a non-existent debate. May work against kids and those who don't have a strong stance, but it ain't working with me - ever.

However, you have stated previously that the original trilogy is "inferior" and "amateurish". Both statements I, and millions of others, find equally short-sighted and disrespectful coming from an obviously passionate fan

Your opinions are definitely your own. That's an island you've set sail for by yourself. I have never said such definite words. Attaching words or thoughts to someone in order to bolster your side of a debate is ridiculous. If you wish to be taken seriously in any debate I suggest you never do that again either online or in life. It's going to get you into trouble.

What I'm telling you is you don't write a highly secretive story and base it on stories that people already know. That's inane, and Abrams and Kennedy know that through and through.

Not discarded, in no way, means, based on. They have "access to it" is a friendly way of placating fans like yourself from not freaking out that what they've read an enjoyed is otherwise meaningless.

I'm sure there will be character names and more used, but to insist otherwise simply isn't true base on the story printed today in Variety.

Respond, assume and lash out with accusations all you want now. My point has been proven yet again, have fun.

#246 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 08:12 PM

Yes you do. Every time someone brings up anything regarding the Expanded Universe, you get all worked up. As if it's a crime to like what I like. The thread history is proof enough. Emotion? You mean like your unwarranted hate for all things post-ROTJ?

What do I have to throw you off track of? What you like about Star Wars has no bearing on what I like about it. The problem arises when you feel the need to try to ridicule what someone else likes. If you didn't want anyone to talk about the EU here, then I guess you should have made that point on page one.

If you're going to quote me, quote me in context. I said what I said because AnnoyingCustomer felt the need to start dogging the prequels, so I highlighted some things that I did not like about the originals. What I actually said was:

the originals felt like amateur hour sometimes

I posted reasons as to why I feel that way and that's an opinion I'll take to my grave. You really think I care what "millions" of others think about my opinion? I like what I like...you like what you like.

I'm not going to debate with anyone about what I like. I can give reasons as to why I enjoy certain things but I'm not going to debate you on whether or not I can have an opinion. Taken seriously? lol right.

Nothing I've posted recently is the gospel. I posted quotes from the "powers-that-be".

Pau Gasol is GONE

#247 fido

fido

• 11,871 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 08:27 PM

Assumptions again. LISTEN TO WHAT I'M SAYING!

You are supporting your arguments through assumption! Stop it! If anything is amateurish it's that. NEVER have I said I hate everything post ROTJ. I've read an enjoyed plenty of EU stuff, enjoy the Clone Wars show and more. For you to say this is absolute and unadulterated ignorance. You have no idea what I enjoy outside of what you have assumed on your own. If you want to know ask. If you don't, don't you dare assume you know who I am and what I like.

Even calling hem amateurish "sometimes" is astoundingly short-sighted. It seems to me, and I could be wrong (but based on your previous statements I'm fairly sure) you look at the original trilogy through the eyes of effects and action rather story and character. Both things are what good storytelling is above all.

You are ignoring facts that don't work for you. It's standard fare for you and frankly it makes your arguments seem silly.

For your own physical and mental health, putting words in people's mouths is a bad and dangerous habit to get into - knock it off.

And yes your opinions are your own, that's great, congratulations. But realize that your opinions sometimes aren't what others think. That's fine, I support that, but do NOT assume things about people or opinions because they don't line up wih what you think.

You can like the prequels all you want, have at it. I truly dont care or mind. However supporting your argument by putting down the other side is mudslinging, schoolyard stuff.

You're smarter than that.

#248 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,176 posts

Posted April 25, 2014 - 08:52 PM

What the President of Lucasfilm said is not an assumption. I quoted her word-for-word.

I can easily go back through this thread and cite everything you said. No assumptions anywhere with regards to that.

Who cares what you think??? I can call something amateurish if I so please. Why is that a problem for you??? Things that you like I can easily consider garbage but you don't see me jumping down your throat about it.

Your second paragraph is further proof you're making stuff up as I've ALWAYS maintained that the originals had better storytelling.

I don't have to put words in your mouth; you've done that yourself:

Anything involving midi-chlorians immediately loses all credibility with me.

Reeks of negativity towards prequels.

they're poor films on several levels

That's YOUR opinion. MINE is different.

Windu, sometimes its hilarious how completely off-base you are - but to each their own I guess.

So, I'm "off-base" for enjoying the prequels? If it truly is "to each their own" then leave me to my opinion and I'll leave you to yours.

I like how you're trying the 'ol switcheroo as if you're the one being attacked for having a opinion. It's obvious who's the aggressor here.

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,548 posts

Posted April 29, 2014 - 01:09 AM

meg-pics-19.jpg?w=1840&h=2760

meg-pics-20.jpg?w=1840&h=2760

yo.

#250 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,293 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted May 01, 2014 - 08:05 AM

61KIZH4.jpg

EyMlHkX.jpg

#251 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,293 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 09:05 PM

Some more art on the cancelled game 1313...

e37vfc0mmjgfnqugzmmm.jpg

ixas5aremj7hzjahkvkz.jpg

hdrra6rrkhxaym3s1tjb.jpg

vo2hs3tdwetybapbtyn5.jpg

lxto5backlabnfkju1ua.jpg

twgbjt50dlp6clo8figr.jpg

qq13b8hkuy6pdyyrtqbk.jpg

EyMlHkX.jpg

#252 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,026 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 01, 2014 - 09:10 PM

Some more art on the cancelled game 1313...

e37vfc0mmjgfnqugzmmm.jpg

ixas5aremj7hzjahkvkz.jpg

hdrra6rrkhxaym3s1tjb.jpg

vo2hs3tdwetybapbtyn5.jpg

lxto5backlabnfkju1ua.jpg

twgbjt50dlp6clo8figr.jpg

qq13b8hkuy6pdyyrtqbk.jpg

Didn't they uncancel it? 

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#253 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,293 posts

Posted May 01, 2014 - 09:15 PM

Didn't they uncancel it? 

Not that I know of

EyMlHkX.jpg

#254 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,769 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted May 02, 2014 - 04:48 AM

Funny, Sheldon would probably agree with me on this one...

Turns out I was right...

Quoted from last night's "Star Wars Day" episode of The Big Bang Theory:

Sheldon: "I'm working on the Star Wars Day schedule...Now, I have a window built in after Phantom Menace for complaining.  BUT, I'm worried an hour won't be enough time..."

:laughing: 

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

• 40,548 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 02:54 PM

This is simply awesome.

Star Wars Cantina Band Auditions

We partnered with Lucasfilm and YouTube on a trip back to Tatooine's favorite hive of scum and villainy. Featuring in order Chris Daughtry, Ben Folds, Liz Phair, Reggie Watts, Mark McGrath, Jordin Sparks, Rick Springfield, Weird Al, Lisa Loeb, and mc chris.

yo.

#256 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,561 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 07:33 PM

reggie watts is the man!

bw1wOGf.png

• 40,548 posts

Posted May 02, 2014 - 07:34 PM

Jordin Sparks. :blush:

Wish she would've worn something tight and shown off that fantastic booty.

yo.

#258 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,769 posts

Posted May 04, 2014 - 12:13 PM

May the 4th be with you, Happy Star Wars Day nerds...

2zi2dsm.jpg

#259 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,805 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 04, 2014 - 01:22 PM

just beware of the revenge of the fifth...

Posted Image

#260 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,769 posts

Posted May 05, 2014 - 03:58 AM

So is that live action Star Wars TV series ever going to come about?  Or are they hoping we forget about it with this new animated series and Episode VII next year?

I don't see why they couldn't do it now that Disney owns it all....

2zi2dsm.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users