Photo

Shaq Rested and Ready

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,558 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted September 30, 2008 - 01:04 AM

Posted Image

He described head coach Terry Porter as "a nice guy," and jokingly recalled that when he faced off with assistant coach Bill Cartwright more than a decade ago, "I used to kill him, too."

But when Shaquille O'Neal was quizzed on how the new coaching staff and changes in style will affect the Phoenix Suns and his pursuit of another championship in his career's twilight years - well, your guess is as good as his for right now.

"Training camp starts (today)," O'Neal said. "(Porter is) the newly appointed president of the team, and as vice president/general manager of the team, whatever orders come down from the Pentagon ... I haven't seen the new orders yet, but I'll have my eyes and ears open and we'll see what's going on."

From their end, the Suns were happy to see the 36-year-old O'Neal come back for his first full season with them in good shape and, by his own estimate, at the same weight (between 330 and 335) he was at when he led the Lakers to the first of three straight championships. And while he was disappointed that his first run with the Suns ended in April, the extra time for recuperation might help him avoid adding heavily to the 221 games he's lost to injury over his 16-year career - 86 of those in the last three years.

The Suns trainers made a few trips to his home in Florida during the summer, and he returned the favor with a handful of stops in Phoenix for workouts and treatment on his problematic left hip. He also worked out 4-5 days a week with Ultimate Fighting Championship legend turned gym owner Royce Gracie, making for a trim figure as he posed for pictures in his home white uniform Monday.

Suns management expected a little more after he vowed a strict offseason regimen in the Valley, but felt he not only passed the eye test, but also looked good in recent workouts and medical testing.

"I look great and I feel great and I feel ready to go because of all the rest I got with the longer summer," he said. "All I've really ever had in my career are knick-knack injuries, which are something you can't prevent - like the weather. I don't miss games on purpose; things happen.

"In Miami, I had (trainers) who weren't familiar with my injuries, but the staff here can fix all the knick-knack stuff. I'll be tired and sore after two days or camp, but that's normal and I'll get past it."

General manager Steve Kerr looks at the double-double Shaq produced in 28 minutes a night (12.9 points, 10.6 rebounds, 61 percent shooting from the floor) over 28 games with the Suns, and couldn't be more pleased with the output. Fouls and free-throw shooting were issues in the playoffs, as was trying to immerse the big man into the team on the run.

"A full camp and preseason and the opportunity to be on the same page from the outset will mean a lot," Kerr said. "And we also plan to do more things that will play to his strengths."

On offense, Porter sees more set plays and longer possessions, resulting in more touches. On defense, it means pushing the ball toward the sidelines instead of funneling it to the middle and leaving O'Neal or other post players to be the last line of defense.

But instead of trying to integrate Shaq on the run, something that proved too daunting last year, the Suns will be adjusting together.

"It would have been a Cinderella story for us to come together in 30 games and get it done. But when it comes to championships, it really doesn't work like that," Shaq said. "What Boston (winning the title) showed last year is that if you put a talented group together and go through the whole year uninterrupted, anything is possible. We're starting from scratch. Hopefully I'll stay injury free and we can take it from there."

http://www.nba.com/s...haq_080929.html

#2 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted September 30, 2008 - 01:10 AM

Shaq, still one never afraid to talk and manages to get in yet another cheap shot at Miami, at least not us again I suppose. :lol:

#3 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 03:12 AM

I honestly am starting to believe that Chad Johnson is more intelligent than Shaq.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#4 Domo

Domo

Based

• 998 posts

Posted September 30, 2008 - 05:54 AM

He played pretty good with the Suns, and his massive frame ain't going anywhere even if he's close to retirement, he's always going to have a big presence.

#5 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 30, 2008 - 10:08 AM

Interesting...

It's going to be fun to watch us dominate the Suns. For those two years of hell they're sure going to pay for it... over and over and over again.

PS:

Posted Image

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#6 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted September 30, 2008 - 11:08 AM

Shaq's godzilla roar is still...funny -.-"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users