pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 20, 2009 - 11:19 AM

Kelly Pavlic & Cotto tomorrow!! :rock:

and next week is the big one...marquez-diaz :rock:
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#103 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,987 posts

Posted February 22, 2009 - 06:27 PM

THANK YOU!!! your probaly the only real boxing fan who posts in this thread, I can't belive some of tese paople, I bet they don't even know who Marquez is

Edited by fsedifkkh, February 22, 2009 - 06:27 PM.

#104 Guest_Spooky_*

Guest_Spooky_*

Posted February 22, 2009 - 10:14 PM

Hopefully JMM can tame the babybull!! :rock:

#105 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted February 23, 2009 - 10:23 AM

THANK YOU!!! your probaly the only real boxing fan who posts in this thread, I can't belive some of tese paople, I bet they don't even know who Marquez is

dont forget the undercard: rocky juarez vs chris john.....and to make it even better, its all FREE

dude, i was gonna order the Cotto-Jennings/Pavlik-Rubio card but i couldnt believe they wanted $50 for that
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#106 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted February 27, 2009 - 12:51 PM

PRE-FIGHT REPORT CARD

By Cliff Rold

Every once in a while, a fight comes along with so many possibilities, it makes picking a winner hard to determine. It doesn’t mean fans and pundits don’t do it anyways. With chewed fingernails, they push the button for one side or the other and then hope the fight was worth the wonder.

There will be thousands on hand Saturday night at the Houston, Texas Toyota Center and most will have made their choice with less trepidation. They’ll be in the house to cheer on the hometown favorite on the biggest night of his career. One fight removed from his lone loss, “The Baby Bull” steps in for the first time with a bona fide modern great.

In March 2008, he found out it doesn’t take a great fighter to beat him. Yet, this weekend, he steps in with advantages in speed, youth, and natural bulk for the chance to declare himself the best Lightweight in the World.

Across the ring, his elder will look to follow up what might have been even with an even split of victory and defeat his finest year. After years of toil, his craft is fully appreciated and his Hall of Fame ticket is all but stamped. Still, the shadows of bigger names loom over him. On hostile turf, he gets his latest chance to work from beneath them.

This is the best of championship pugilism.

Let’s go to report card.

The Ledgers

Juan Manuel Marquez
Title: World Lightweight (Lineal/Ring, 2008-Present); Attempting 1st Defense
Height: 5’7
Hails from: Mexico City, Mexico
Record: 49-4-1, 36 KO
Record in Title Fights: 9-3-1, 2 KO
Previous Titles: IBF Featherweight (2003, 2 Defenses); WBA/IBF (2004-05, 3 Defenses); WBO (2006, 1 Defense); WBC Jr. Lightweight (2007-08, 1 Defense); World Lightweight (2007-Present)
Current/Former World Champions/Titlists Defeated: 6 (Agapito Sanchez, Robbie Peden, Manuel Medina, Derrick Gainer, Marco Antonio Barrera, Joel Casamayor)
Current/Former World Champions/Titlists Faced in Defeat: 3 (Freddie Norwood, Chris John, Manny Pacquiao)

Vs.

Juan Diaz
Title: None
BoxingScene Rating: #3 (http://www.boxingsce...=boxing-ratings)
Height: 5’6
Hails from: Houston, Texas
Record: 34-1, 17 KO
Record in Title Fights: 8-1, 4 KO
Previous Titles: WBA (2004-07, 6 Defenses); WBA/WBO (2007, 1 Defense); WBA/WBO/IBF (2007-08, 0 Defenses)
Current/Former World Champions/Titlists Defeated/No Contested: 4 (Lakva Sim, Julien Lorcy, Acelino Freitas, Julio Diaz)
Current/Former World Champions/Titlists Faced in Defeat: 1 (Nate Campbell)

Battle Breakdown Grades

Speed: Marquez B; Diaz B+
Power: Marquez B; Diaz C+
Defense: Marquez B+; Diaz B
Intangibles: Marquez A; Diaz B+

Live at 10:00 PM EST/7:00 PST on HBO, Marquez will bring an advantage of some seven years of professional experience into the ring for his first defense of the World Lightweight title. His stoppage of Cuba’s Joel Casamayor last September, though seen by too few, was a gem between older fighters with enough pride to find youth inside them. Now, Marquez has to counter almost a full decade of youth with recent history boding well for him. Outcomes like Bernard Hopkins over Kelly Pavlik and Joe Calzaghe over Mikkel Kessler in recent vintage show that in an era where there were just enough fights to give seasoning without the maximum amount of wear, older fighters can endure in a way not often seen in previous generations.

He’ll need the savvy because he starts off with a critical deficit in the fight. Diaz is faster than Marquez, and it matters because he remains one of the game’s most relentless pressure fighters, rattling off multi-punch combinations with abandon. Marquez fell behind Casamayor early, and struggled with both Pacquiao and Norwood, because they could get off first. In Marquez’s favor, Diaz doesn’t have the lightning speed of Pacquiao and, against Campbell, Diaz showed vulnerability.

For all of his grunting fusillades, Diaz doesn’t appear to have one-punch power. His knockouts come through will-breaking attrition. Campbell showed that, with patience and deliberation, Diaz’s aggression can be turned against him with intelligent body work and even a willingness to stay inside. Campbell came over the rushes with right hands and then was able to force Diaz back with timed combinations. A warmed up Marquez has some of the best timing in Boxing and with a little space can land a bevy of different shots. His uppercuts, from either hand, are precision, and his right hand off the jab is surgeon like in its precision. Like Diaz, Marquez isn’t a brutal puncher but he’s shown more dangerous against a tough range of opponents.

Marquez though has never appeared as comfortable just fighting at close quarters as Campbell did. He likes distance and is most comfortable when in control of geography. If he can time Diaz coming in with sweeping lead hooks, as he did last year against Pacquiao, he’ll have success in stunting the incoming but Diaz is tricky to catch coming in. He blocks well with his gloves and when he gets hit, it’s not often clean. His rushes and close quarters comfort smother the offense of opponents. Marquez’s mastery of distance and head movement will make him a tough target so when Diaz can land, he’ll have to make it count.

In terms of the unmeasurables, things like guts and desire, both are proven in different ways. Marquez’s off the floor thrice rally in the 2004 first bout with Pacquiao, where he earned a draw, was gutsy stuff. To be here, still, at 35 after suffering years of missed opportunities speaks to how badly Marquez wants it. Diaz has never shrunk from the limelight. In his three biggest fights, against Sim, Freitas, and Julio Diaz, he responded with dominance. In his lone loss, he responded by refusing to quit, taking his lumps like a man. Now we find out how much he learned from defeat.

The Pick: The deck appears sort of stacked here. Diaz has the hometown and, regardless of recent fare, age matters. In a fight where neither man is likely to land a lightning bolt for a ten-count, Diaz’s ability to pressure and push the aging legs of Marquez will count for a lot. Of course, there is every chance Marquez just goes maestro and hands out a boxing lesson, but he’s still fairly unproven at Lightweight. The Casamayor win was solid, but the Cuban was only one fight removed from a career worst performance and noticeably faded late on 37 year old stems. Diaz turned pro at Jr. Welterweight and is comfortable at 135. It says here Diaz will endure some rough moments in the first eight rounds but down the stretch be too active and punishing en route to a narrow, maybe even controversial, decision.

Pre-Fight Report Card Winning Picks in 2009: 3-1
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#107 Guest_Spooky_*

Guest_Spooky_*

Posted February 27, 2009 - 05:26 PM

Posted Image

chris john looks hilarious :lol: :lol:

Edited by Spooky, February 27, 2009 - 05:28 PM.

#108 xplayforrealx

xplayforrealx

Rookie

• 350 posts
  • Fan Since:2002
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant and Sasha Vujacic

Posted February 28, 2009 - 09:29 PM

Good fight. Marquez KO's Diaz in the 9th round. Both showed heart.
Mike Breen: Walton can tip it. Bryant with the save.
Hubie Brown: Oh you gotta get a shot here
Mike Breen: Final Seconds.. Bryant for the win, BANG!

Your signature violates forum guidelines.

#109 Guest_Spooky_*

Guest_Spooky_*

Posted February 28, 2009 - 09:36 PM

EPIC FIGHT!!!

MARQUEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ :rock: :rock: :rock:

def. Needs to be in the P4P discussion

Edited by Spooky, February 28, 2009 - 09:43 PM.

#110 Smart Alex

Smart Alex

Most Obsessed Megan Fox

• 5,451 posts
  • Name:Alex.
  • Fan Since:Strawberry Fields Forever
  • Fav. Laker:Pau Gasol

Posted March 01, 2009 - 03:17 PM

^^Not a big boxing fan but that was a great fight.

"The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure.
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences,
and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon,
for each day to have a new and different sun."

#111 Guest_Spooky_*

Guest_Spooky_*

Posted March 01, 2009 - 06:58 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Spooky, March 01, 2009 - 10:44 PM.

#112 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,520 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted March 06, 2009 - 01:00 PM

Dang Diaz got took. And then in his hometown. Max Kellerman was a complete azz in the post fight interview with him. Is he the new Larry Merchant?
The 50-50 comment by Marquez was just stupid...

Edited by MAMBA24ILL, March 06, 2009 - 01:02 PM.

2hf753r.jpg

#113 Guest_Spooky_*

Guest_Spooky_*

Posted March 06, 2009 - 09:43 PM

victor ortiz is fighting tomorrow :rock:

#114 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted March 06, 2009 - 10:31 PM

Victor Ortiz is from my hometown of Oxnard. Same city where that punk boxer Fernando Vargas is from.

#115 kobethetruemvp

kobethetruemvp

Rookie

• 129 posts
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 08, 2009 - 11:54 AM

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=uFbLeRgQ0ok
Ortiz is the real deal.

#116 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted March 08, 2009 - 07:47 PM

Ortiz is the truth

i wanna see him move up to 47 and fight Berto

also, i would love to see Angulo-Kirkland...that one would be a brawl :rock:
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#117 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,520 posts

Posted March 09, 2009 - 07:05 AM

I really wish De La Hoya would fight Chavez Jr.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by MAMBA24ILL, March 09, 2009 - 11:20 AM.

2hf753r.jpg

#118 TheAssassin611

TheAssassin611

"The Young Assassin"

• 892 posts
  • Name:Mohammad Abdulrauf L. Lauban
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 10, 2009 - 04:28 AM

De La Hoya is the Man.
Its the Golden Boy Baby!

#119 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,520 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:09 AM

De La Hoya is the Man.
Its the Golden Boy Baby!

WAS the man homie. Not sure what dude's got left.

2hf753r.jpg

#120 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted March 10, 2009 - 08:50 AM

I really wish De La Hoya would fight Chavez Jr.

Posted Image

Posted Image

i'd love for Jr to whoop de la fishnets

in Azteca Stadium :rock:
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users