General Boxing Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
999 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted July 28, 2008 - 12:48 PM

When does Kelly Pavlik fight & is it official yet that he will be fighting Arthur Abraham?

What the heck ever happened to Mayorga? If I'm not mistaken, his last fight was still the Vargas one right? Did he retire or something? I hope not cuz although he's a stupid boxer most of the time, I can't deny I just love watching his style & entertainment value.

How legit are the Pacquaio DLH rumors & how did the Margorito Cotto recent fight & outcome affect that, if at all?

#2 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted July 28, 2008 - 12:55 PM

I wasn't expecting Cotto to lose the fight, but Margarito had a great game plan for the fight. I want to see Margarito fight Mayweather soon. :rock:

#3 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 28, 2008 - 01:07 PM

When does Kelly Pavlik fight & is it official yet that he will be fighting Arthur Abraham?

What the heck ever happened to Mayorga? If I'm not mistaken, his last fight was still the Vargas one right? Did he retire or something? I hope not cuz although he's a stupid boxer most of the time, I can't deny I just love watching his style & entertainment value.

How legit are the Pacquaio DLH rumors & how did the Margorito Cotto recent fight & outcome affect that, if at all?

Pavlik-Abraham has been scrapped…it is now Pavlik-Hopkins @ 170 in a couple of months

Mayorga is fighting Shane Mosely

As for Cotto-Margarito outcome affecting DLH, the impact is HUGE….check this out; with Cotto-Margarito, you had TWO fighters under the Top Rank banner (Arum) in a potential FOY battle (and it was) with a possible historic trilogy waiting…however, Arum did NOT include an immediate rematch clause…what was puzzling at first became conventional thinking as the 3-1 odds for Cotto were set…Arum thought that Cotto would win and that would set up a DLH-Cotto farewell fight…well, the TJ Tornado f’d all that up by being a monster on Saturday…so now, there wont be a Cotto-DLH bout and im sure as hell that DLH does NOT want any of Margarito…this leads us to DLH vs the much smaller Pacquiao as the only marquee matchup
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#4 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted July 28, 2008 - 01:17 PM

Hmm... very interesting on all accounts.

Firstly, so Pavlik will be facing Hopkins. Well wow, that should be a snoozer, especially if Hopkins fights similarly to his last fight with Calzaghe, what an embarassment. When is that fight by the way?

Secondly, Mayorga & Mosely eh? That's a nice matchup. I'd watch. I think Mosely would win. Anytime Mayorga's fighting, if both the fighters are close in skill and or power, you have to take the smarter boxer & by far, that'd have to ideally be Mosely without a doubt. Also would like to know when this one is as well.

Lastly, now on to the DLH, Margorito, & Pacquiao discussion. Well, I could very well see DLH as well like yourself NOT wanting any part of Margorito, especially after seeing him take down Cotto the way he did. He's obviously been known as one of the most avoided fighters of all time. If I'm not mistaken, both Mayweather & Cotto had already turned him down at least once or twice before & for good reason I suppose now especially.

Either way, whomever DLH ultimately fights whether it be Pacquiao or Margorito, it's gonna' be awesome. Personally, I would rather see him face Pacquiao & if Pacquiao beats him, yet another Mexican, & a pretty good one at that, then on to Margorito & if he beats him, well g'damn, there's seemingly just no stopping him unless wussy arse Mayweather comes outta' his alleged retirement & mans up & at least accepts the challenge.

#5 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted July 28, 2008 - 01:36 PM

Hmm... very interesting on all accounts.

Firstly, so Pavlik will be facing Hopkins. Well wow, that should be a snoozer, especially if Hopkins fights similarly to his last fight with Calzaghe, what an embarassment. When is that fight by the way?

Secondly, Mayorga & Mosely eh? That's a nice matchup. I'd watch. I think Mosely would win. Anytime Mayorga's fighting, if both the fighters are close in skill and or power, you have to take the smarter boxer & by far, that'd have to ideally be Mosely without a doubt. Also would like to know when this one is as well.

Lastly, now on to the DLH, Margorito, & Pacquiao discussion. Well, I could very well see DLH as well like yourself NOT wanting any part of Margorito, especially after seeing him take down Cotto the way he did. He's obviously been known as one of the most avoided fighters of all time. If I'm not mistaken, both Mayweather & Cotto had already turned him down at least once or twice before & for good reason I suppose now especially.

Either way, whomever DLH ultimately fights whether it be Pacquiao or Margorito, it's gonna' be awesome. Personally, I would rather see him face Pacquiao & if Pacquiao beats him, yet another Mexican, & a pretty good one at that, then on to Margorito & if he beats him, well g'damn, there's seemingly just no stopping him unless wussy arse Mayweather comes outta' his alleged retirement & mans up & at least accepts the challenge.

Hopkins-Pavlik is slated for October 18th in Atlantic City…I share the same concerns about this fight being an absolute snoozer as Hopkins will do whatever he can to ‘dirty’ up and slow this fight down to a HW pace…hopefully Pavlik forces the old man to fight

Mosley-Mayorga is slated for September 27th at Staples Center ( I just might have to make it out for that one)…this one provides a little bit of intrigue as the Vernon Forrest factors in the equation: Mayorga beat up Forrest twice while Forrest beat up Shane…as for the skill department, its Shane hands down…hand speed, footwork, fundamentals…but with Mayorga, anytime you have that free swinging, reckless streetfighter in the ring, it will always add up to some entertainment…I’ll go with Shane on a UD

As for PAC-DLH, as much as I would love to see what would happen if one of Manny’ straight lefts sneaks in there, I think this is a bit too ambitious for PAC…DLH can end this fight with one left hook and it would make Manny’s move to 147 basically meaningless as this would probably a one and done deal…what Manny needs to do is clean up 135 and then go after Hatton at 140…but I guess the lure of possibly $20mil would make any sane man do stupid [expletive]
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")
One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore

#6 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted July 28, 2008 - 01:38 PM

^ I'd REALLY hate to see Pacquiao fight Hatton. It'd be pointless imo. I just feel he'd absolutely KILL Hatton, although that wouldn't be bad to see, but really, Hatton is severely overrated in my opinion & is nowhere close to the level Pacman is at right now.

#7 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted July 28, 2008 - 01:43 PM

^ I'd REALLY hate to see Pacquiao fight Hatton. It'd be pointless imo. I just feel he'd absolutely KILL Hatton, although that wouldn't be bad to see, but really, Hatton is severely overrated in my opinion & is nowhere close to the level Pacman is at right now.

i can picture PAC walking into a packed Machester Stadium and shutting up 40thousand brits after a few rounds...lol
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#8 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted July 28, 2008 - 01:54 PM

^ HEII YEAH! :D

#9 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 9,697 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Adam Morrison

Posted July 29, 2008 - 12:06 PM

manny pacquiao vs mayweather

it will happen

#10 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted July 29, 2008 - 01:05 PM

^ Only if Mayweather stops being a wuss.

#11 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 9,697 posts

Posted July 29, 2008 - 01:25 PM

^ Only if Mayweather stops being a wuss.

haha yeah

#12 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted July 29, 2008 - 01:37 PM

The Church Of Floyd is closed my friends..if DLH cant get him the money to fight, noone can
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#13 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted July 31, 2008 - 02:39 PM

^ Unfortunate, but probably true.

#14 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 9,697 posts

Posted August 01, 2008 - 09:14 PM

Manny Pacquiao Is the best fighter right now

even if you hate him you gotta admit hes good.

#15 purple_and_gold_fever

purple_and_gold_fever

Sixth Man

• 3,794 posts

Posted August 01, 2008 - 09:37 PM

Manny's next fight is in November right?

#16 Rinnegato

Rinnegato

Rookie

• 150 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, and Chick

Posted August 01, 2008 - 10:10 PM

Freddie Roach (Pacquiao's trainer) has said that he would like for Manny to retire in a couple of years. So a big money fight with DLH would be pretty good. I just don't want Manny getting hurt bad... but if the money is too good to pass up, then hey- No shame in losing to DLH or even beating him :rock: Manny deserves a HUGE payday.
"This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!" -Chick Hearn

#17 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 9,697 posts

Posted August 01, 2008 - 10:42 PM

Manny's next fight is in November right?

yeah

#18 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted August 02, 2008 - 10:16 PM

I didn't see the Judah fight, but thankfully my Father recorded it on the DVR so I WILL be seeing it later as well as the Cotto Margorito fight yet again. I was so happy to get it recorded & saved on my DVR in HD. Ahhh.. beautiful.

#19 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted August 07, 2008 - 11:48 AM

Golden Boy, Top Rank reps formally open negotiations
By Dan Rafael
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: August 6, 2008, 11:38 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer and Top Rank's Bob Arum met Wednesday and formally opened negotiations for a Dec. 6 megafight between Oscar De La Hoya, boxing's biggest star, and pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao.

Chris Cozzone/Getty Images

Manny Pacquiao has moved up through the weight classes through the years, including winning a championship in his fifth division June 28.

Schaefer hosted Arum for more than two hours at the Golden Boy offices in Los Angeles to talk over a host of issues related to a fight that would take place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas and certainly be the year's biggest fight if it is made.

"We met and there are some issues, but it was a good meeting," Schaefer told ESPN.com on Wednesday night. "I think what it will take is for Manny to give and for Oscar to give to get a deal done. That's pretty much what it is. But the fact that we had a two hour-plus meeting is obviously a good sign. If it had been a five-minute meeting it would indicate the gaps are too big.

"What Bob needs to do is talk to Manny and I need to talk to Oscar. I'm going to talk to Oscar face to face when he comes to Los Angeles next week. But this was a good first step. We had a very good, a very cordial meeting. We talked about a lot of things," Schaefer said.

Arum told ESPN.com, "We had a nice meeting, a very productive meeting. Richard is going to talk further with Oscar next week. Manny is going to Beijing for [some of] the Olympics and I will talk to him soon. Richard and I can make a deal, but we are not the guys doing the fighting. It's going to be up to the fighters. There will have to be movement on both sides. Hopefully, there will be movement. We want to make a deal, Richard and I. Whether it can be made or not, I don't know. It will take give and take on both sides, like in any negotiation."

Although there are issues on the table such as the precise weight limit and brand of gloves the fighters would wear, Schaefer and Arum agreed those would be easily solved. The crux of the negotiation will come down to the percentage split of the revenue.

"I can say without any question none of that will be a problem, weight or gloves," Arum said. "We are working essentially on the split."

"If both guys are willing to give, Bob and I have laid the foundation and the groundwork under which a deal can be done," Schaefer said.

Harry How/Getty Images

Oscar De La Hoya weighs 150 pounds, but for the fight he might come down to the welterweight limit of 147.

De La Hoya (39-5, 30 KOs), who easily outpointed Steve Forbes on May 3 but took a lot of flush punches from the smaller man, weighed 150 pounds. Pacquiao and trainer Freddie Roach want him to come down to the welterweight limit of 147 pounds.

Pacquiao (47-3-2, 35 KOs), who began his career at 106 pounds, has steadily moved up through the weight classes through the years, including winning a championship in his fifth division June 28 when he wiped out David Diaz in nine brutally one-sided rounds to win a lightweight belt and cement his place as the pound-for-pound No. 1 fighter in the sport.

Arum said that the possibility of welterweight champion Antonio Margarito facing De La Hoya also came up in the meeting as an alternative plan. Margarito ruined Miguel Cotto's chance to face De La Hoya when he stopped him July 26. Now, Margarito wants his shot at De La Hoya.

"Antonio is still out there and hasn't been totally rejected by the De La Hoya people," Arum said. "It came up, but Richard has to sit with Oscar and see what he wants to do."

Schaefer was not as upbeat about a fight with Margarito.

"I think Margarito has some other things planned," he said. "I think he should go fight [a rematch with] Paul Williams."

Dan Rafael is ESPN.com's boxing writer.
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

#20 pound4pound

pound4pound

High Life

• 1,478 posts

Posted August 07, 2008 - 11:49 AM

i cant believe they're actually going thru with this crap :rock:
QUOTE ("Jerry Buss")

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users