14 replies to this topic

#1 jse7en

jse7en

Off The Bench

• 1,541 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:magic, kobe

Posted August 27, 2010 - 08:38 AM

So I know its well known that when you get a new phone you should charge the battery for at least 12 or 24 hours depending on who you talk to. And i know some people think that you don't have to do that with newer batteries but I don't want to debate that here.

Anyway, I just got a new laptop. Do I also have to apply the same rule where I should charge the battery for at least a certain number of hours? The manual doesn't say anything about it.

#2 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 22,317 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted August 27, 2010 - 10:33 AM

what kind did you get(laptop)?

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#3 jse7en

jse7en

Off The Bench

• 1,541 posts

Posted August 27, 2010 - 02:01 PM

the asus ul30a-x5

#4 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,169 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Goku

Posted August 27, 2010 - 07:11 PM

yeah its always recommended to let it fully charge.

you should also calibrate your laptop once every month or so. if you dont know how to calibrate:

you let your laptop charged 100% w/ the plug still in it for a good 2 hours or so. then you use your laptop till its dead. meaning your laptop will shut itself off because it has no more battery. after that leave it as it is for a good 5 hours + or overnight.

why would you want to do this? get a better battery reading and to use your battery to its fullest with the most accurate reading IE how many hours you got left on it

Edited by vong, August 27, 2010 - 07:13 PM.

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#5 jse7en

jse7en

Off The Bench

• 1,541 posts

Posted August 27, 2010 - 09:25 PM

you should also calibrate your laptop once every month or so. if you dont know how to calibrate:

you let your laptop charged 100% w/ the plug still in it for a good 2 hours or so. then you use your laptop till its dead. meaning your laptop will shut itself off because it has no more battery. after that leave it as it is for a good 5 hours + or overnight.

why would you want to do this? get a better battery reading and to use your battery to its fullest with the most accurate reading IE how many hours you got left on it

i never knew about that! thanks!

#6 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 27, 2010 - 09:58 PM

No No No No. Never let the battery die. :nah: :nah: :nah: Worst thing u can do to ur battery. Let it get to about ~5-1% then charge it all the way.

Posted Image

#7 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,084 posts

Posted August 27, 2010 - 09:59 PM

No No No No. Never let the battery die. :nah: :nah: :nah: Worst thing u can do to ur battery. Let it get to about ~5-1% then charge it all the way.

I know... that's what I thought :blink: That's what I do; if it's realllll low on battery then I charge it right away. Or if a charger isn't available near me then I just shut it down and charge it later. My laptop gets a bit stupid if I let the battery die (done it a few times before).

#8 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts

Posted August 27, 2010 - 10:10 PM

I know... that's what I thought :blink: That's what I do; if it's realllll low on battery then I charge it right away. Or if a charger isn't available near me then I just shut it down and charge it later. My laptop gets a bit stupid if I let the battery die (done it a few times before).

Yea. Letting the battery die kills the battery cells inside much like brain cells of a human.

Posted Image

#9 jse7en

jse7en

Off The Bench

• 1,541 posts

Posted August 28, 2010 - 06:19 AM

lol. ok. majority wins. i guess i should stop letting my cell phone battery die. i keep using it to the point of exhaustion. :nervous: not on purpose though

Edited by jse7en, August 28, 2010 - 06:19 AM.

#10 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 22,317 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted August 28, 2010 - 09:07 AM

I agree with this. :yes:

I always(most things) use batteries till they die. Let cool then recharge.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#11 jse7en

jse7en

Off The Bench

• 1,541 posts

Posted August 29, 2010 - 06:34 AM

lol. ok. majority wins. i guess i should stop letting my cell phone battery die. i keep using it to the point of exhaustion. :nervous: not on purpose though

score is 2 to 2 :laughing:
now what :help:

#12 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,084 posts

Posted August 29, 2010 - 06:45 AM

Wait - what's the issue right now exactly?

#13 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts

Posted August 29, 2010 - 09:44 AM

What do u mean the score is 2 to 2? I told u to never let the battery die. If u think I am not trustworthy, fine.

Posted Image

#14 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,169 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Goku

Posted August 29, 2010 - 12:08 PM

if you have Lithium-ion Batteries in your laptop then yeah you should. i have a macbook pro and everyone on macrumors say you should calibrate it; to get the most out of it.

*depends on how frequently you using your laptop. if you use it as your main computer now they recommend at least once a month.*

Summary
You can calibrate your iBook, PowerBook, MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro computer's lithium ion battery for best performance.

The battery has an internal microprocessor that provides an estimate of the amount of energy in the battery as it charges and discharges. The battery needs to be recalibrated from time to time to keep the onscreen battery time and percent display accurate and to keep the battery operating at maximum efficiency. You should perform this procedure when you first use your computer and then every few months after that. If you normally leave your Apple portable computer connected to AC power and very rarely use it on battery power you may want to perform this process once a month. The website www.apple.com/batteries has more helpful information regarding batteries and offers an iCal calendar to remind you to calibrate your battery.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

Edited by vong, August 29, 2010 - 01:20 PM.

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#15 jse7en

jse7en

Off The Bench

• 1,541 posts

Posted August 30, 2010 - 09:39 AM

Wait - what's the issue right now exactly?

no issue

What do u mean the score is 2 to 2? I told u to never let the battery die. If u think I am not trustworthy, fine.

lol. y so serious? i didn't let the battery die. no worries. thank you for your input. i plugged it in at like 4%.

if you have Lithium-ion Batteries in your laptop then yeah you should. i have a macbook pro and everyone on macrumors say you should calibrate it; to get the most out of it.

*depends on how frequently you using your laptop. if you use it as your main computer now they recommend at least once a month.*

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1490

i'll read more about "calibrating" the battery every month or so. thanks for your input as well. +1'd everyone who contributed. thanks. topic closed [from my end anyway]

:hi: everyone

Edited by jse7en, August 30, 2010 - 09:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users