Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 24, 2010 - 06:41 PM

Posted Image
Reports: White Sox to claim Manny off waivers

Reports are surfacing that the Chicago White Sox plan to claim slugger Manny Ramirez off waivers from the Los Angeles Dodgers.

FOXSports.com was the first to report that the White Sox, who trail the AL Central leader Minnesota by 4 1/2 games entering play today, would pick up Ramirez once he is made available.

Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun Times, citing a major league source, tweets that GM Ken Williams is "pushing in all his chips on getting Manny Ramirez."

Based on winning percentage, the White Sox are the first AL contending team which could claim Ramirez if he makes it past all NL clubs unclaimed.

Ramirez, 38, was activated from his third trip to the disabled list this season on Saturday. He is batting .312 and has eight home runs and 39 RBI in 189 at-bats.

---
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/13813486/reports-white-sox-to-claim-manny-off-waivers

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#2 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted August 26, 2010 - 05:12 AM

If the Dodgers get a deal done, I hope the White Sox give us either Dayan Viciedo or Brent Morel. We need a future third baseman.

#3 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 6,001 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted August 27, 2010 - 10:48 AM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5503956

Source: White Sox claim Manny Ramirez

The Chicago White Sox on Friday were awarded the claim on Manny Ramirez, according to a source monitoring the waiver wire.

The Dodgers have the option of pulling Ramirez back and keeping him, working out a trade with the White Sox, or just let him go via the waiver claim. The Dodgers could pick up some of Ramirez's money to work out a trade with the White Sox, or they could let Ramirez go and leave the White Sox responsible for all of his remaining contract.

Edited by TheBigFish, August 27, 2010 - 10:49 AM.

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

• 40,603 posts

Posted August 27, 2010 - 10:53 AM

^ Thanks for the update. That's crazy. Should be interesting to see where the Dodgers go with this.

yo.

#5 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,616 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted August 27, 2010 - 01:27 PM

Dam i was hoping the Rangers got him.

2hf753r.jpg

#6 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 6,001 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted August 29, 2010 - 05:20 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5510704

Source: Manny Ramirez to Chicago

Los Angeles Dodgers left fielder Manny Ramirez is headed to the Chicago White Sox on Monday is what is looking like a straight waiver claim, a league source with knowledge of the situation said Sunday on condition of anonymity.

The source said there was still some chance the two clubs will work out a trade that presumably would involve a mid-level prospect going from the White Sox to the Dodgers, a development that probably would mean the Dodgers would pay a small percentage of the $3.825 million remaining on Ramirez's two-year, $45 million contract.

Another league source, also speaking on the condition of anonymity, said the Dodgers' preference at this point is to simply allow Ramirez to go to the White Sox as a waiver claim, in which case the White Sox would be responsible for the entire $3.825 million. The Dodgers have had that option available to them ever since the White Sox secured waiver rights to Ramirez on Friday.

It is the White Sox, the second source said, who want the Dodgers to take a prospect in exchange for cash to cover a percentage of the money still owed Ramirez. The source either wouldn't or couldn't identify the prospect in question.

With the Dodgers slipping further out of contention for a playoff spot after losing two of three to the Colorado Rockies this weekend, club officials apparently decided to go ahead and part ways with Ramirez at a point when it still will save them a considerable amount of money.

Edited by TheBigFish, August 29, 2010 - 05:20 PM.

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#7 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted August 29, 2010 - 05:49 PM

The dude that resurrected Dodger baseball is now gone...sad.
Posted Image
R.I.P. to my grandmother, 4/17/07 : (

#8 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted August 29, 2010 - 07:14 PM

The dude that resurrected Dodger baseball is now gone...sad.

Resurrected? Not really.

Put us over the top? Definitely.

Bittersweet to see Manny go as he was a big reason for us getting to the NLCS the last couple of seasons, plus the development of some of the younger players like Ethier and Kemp. But its time to move forward. Dodger fans knew he was gone after this season. I am grateful to have had him on the Dodgers despite the PED's incident and countless injuries. It was fun times in Mannywood, but now its time to look toward the future. How the Dodgers perform in the seasons ahead is not based off Manny leaving, its based off our management doing what is necessary to put a winning team on the field. Which means not bringing in cheap options, but spending some money on some pitching and a solid hitter or two.

#9 El Diablo

El Diablo

U Mad?

• 5,232 posts
  • Name:El Diablo
  • Fan Since:Birth aka 1990
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson and Kobe Bryant

Posted August 29, 2010 - 07:43 PM

Resurrected? Not really.

Put us over the top? Definitely.

Bittersweet to see Manny go as he was a big reason for us getting to the NLCS the last couple of seasons, plus the development of some of the younger players like Ethier and Kemp. But its time to move forward. Dodger fans knew he was gone after this season. I am grateful to have had him on the Dodgers despite the PED's incident and countless injuries. It was fun times in Mannywood, but now its time to look toward the future. How the Dodgers perform in the seasons ahead is not based off Manny leaving, its based off our management doing what is necessary to put a winning team on the field. Which means not bringing in cheap options, but spending some money on some pitching and a solid hitter or two.

Well said +1

Posted Image

#10 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted August 29, 2010 - 07:47 PM

keep this thread alive guys

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#11 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 29, 2010 - 09:58 PM

How can you say that getting Manny put the Dodgers over the top?

The team still has not won a championship in my lifetime.

Getting Many was the right move.
When the dodgers failed to trade for Roy Halladay, that was the moment the Dodgers lost their chance to win it all.

I say good bye to manny.
He was an intresting exbition.

But now he is gone, and i hope that the Dodgers get back some young talent.

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted August 30, 2010 - 08:40 AM

How can you say that getting Manny put the Dodgers over the top?

The team still has not won a championship in my lifetime.

Getting Many was the right move.
When the dodgers failed to trade for Roy Halladay, that was the moment the Dodgers lost their chance to win it all.

I say good bye to manny.
He was an intresting exbition.

But now he is gone, and i hope that the Dodgers get back some young talent.

When I say put the Dodgers over the top, I mean over the top of being a playoff team who had not won a playoff series in years. His first year with the Dodgers was when I was most confident about a possible WS win. But I still had my doubts because of the pitching and my doubts grew larger every year due to the lack of pitching upgrades.

Dodgers either will get back a mid-level type prospect or the Dodgers will just get the money (which will help in free agency).

#13 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts

Posted August 30, 2010 - 02:11 PM

Having the Dodgers get to the playoffs was fun for sure. And in that sense, Manny was a success, and took the team where it had not been in decades.

When he was aquired mid-season, I thought the Dodgers had a chance, but, their Starting Pitchers came up short...
The Next season, after Mannys 50 game suspension for whatever, the dodgers were doing well again, but still lacked pitching.

Roy Halladay became avalible...
And the Dodgers did not get him.

It was that moment when the Dodgers window closed...

Meanwhile...
Dodger get nothing back for manny...
Nothing...
No player to be named later
No random pitcher from low A ball

NOTHING...

I guess the Dodgers are trying to save money cause their draft pick signed with them instead of going to college...

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted August 30, 2010 - 04:39 PM

Having the Dodgers get to the playoffs was fun for sure. And in that sense, Manny was a success, and took the team where it had not been in decades.

When he was aquired mid-season, I thought the Dodgers had a chance, but, their Starting Pitchers came up short...
The Next season, after Mannys 50 game suspension for whatever, the dodgers were doing well again, but still lacked pitching.

Roy Halladay became avalible...
And the Dodgers did not get him.

It was that moment when the Dodgers window closed...

Meanwhile...
Dodger get nothing back for manny...
Nothing...
No player to be named later
No random pitcher from low A ball

NOTHING...

I guess the Dodgers are trying to save money cause their draft pick signed with them instead of going to college...

Well personally, I thought the Dodgers should have traded Manny at the deadline in which they would have gotten good prospects back. The Dodgers didnt get nothing, they got money which is what they need at this point. Sure we could have got a mid level prospect, but unless it was a top prospect, we are better off getting money and using it in the offseason.

The Dodgers aren't trying to save money because of their draft pick, his contract is deferred over the next few years so it didnt hit the Dodgers financially hard.

#15 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts

Posted August 30, 2010 - 08:43 PM

Getting money means the least in Baseball.
This is not the NBA where contract numbers mean something...

What this did is give the McCourts some more money to use on lawyers to sue each other.

I hope that Mark Cuban buys the Dodgers...

Quick...
Name the Dodgers big Free Agent pickup this past offseason....

This ownership is not looking to invest in building a championship team.

#16 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted August 31, 2010 - 05:38 AM

Getting money means the least in Baseball.
This is not the NBA where contract numbers mean something...

What this did is give the McCourts some more money to use on lawyers to sue each other.

I hope that Mark Cuban buys the Dodgers...

Quick...
Name the Dodgers big Free Agent pickup this past offseason....

This ownership is not looking to invest in building a championship team.

What's funny is that I am not going to argue this, because I shared these same sentiments on the Dodgers.com message boards a few days ago. The only reason the money matters RIGHT NOW, is because of what the Dodgers are going through at the moment.

And I said on dodgers.com that the biggest moves this team has made the last 3 years has been: acquiring Manny and re-signing Manny. Other than that, the Dodgers have not spent money.

I also want Cuban to buy the team. That would be awesome.

#17 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts

Posted September 04, 2010 - 04:45 AM

I also want Cuban to buy the team. That would be awesome.

It does not even have to be Cuban...
But someone with the mindset as Cuban...

Someone who has got the will to want to win it all, and the money to back it up...

The young talent that we had is getting old... Kemp and Either are still strong... What about Loney and Russell Martin?
And we have had no young players come up since those 4 that one year... ALL those years ago...

I guess we are just spoiled with the Lakers...
This is got to be what Cubs or Pirates fans feel...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users