21 replies to this topic

#1 Rubynator

Rubynator

Best closer in the game

• 2,608 posts
  • Fan Since:5
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic,West,Bynum

Posted August 23, 2010 - 01:46 AM

Ball and I are thinking of starting a new sim league.

But we need sufficient amount of feed back from people. And people who can also help make the file and probably a back up simmer. What do you guys think?
QUOTE "I was just letting the shots fly. You know, I don't leave any bullets in the chamber." - Kobe Bryant

Posted Image

what Chick Hearn was to the "ear" of the fans, I want to be to the "eye" of the fans

-LD2K aka Chris

#2 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted August 23, 2010 - 01:58 AM

I'm down to be a backup simmer. But this better be active unlike the past 2 leagues. You guys haaaaaaaaave to step it up or else its going to die once more.

Edited by LaLa, August 23, 2010 - 02:03 AM.

Posted Image
R.I.P. to my grandmother, 4/17/07 : (

#3 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,856 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted August 23, 2010 - 02:10 AM

ill join

#4 Rubynator

Rubynator

Best closer in the game

• 2,608 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 02:16 AM

The last one was pretty active and chaotic. We need to recruit more. And early on it was pretty active
QUOTE "I was just letting the shots fly. You know, I don't leave any bullets in the chamber." - Kobe Bryant

Posted Image

what Chick Hearn was to the "ear" of the fans, I want to be to the "eye" of the fans

-LD2K aka Chris

#5 lakerball4life

lakerball4life

Off The Bench

• 1,700 posts
  • Fav. Laker:The Machine

Posted August 23, 2010 - 04:15 AM

FYI, ide be looking to have this running by around the start of the regular season. Its too dead here in the off season and it will just fail. Will give us time to get everything sorted out, and have a good accurate file to work with. If we get enough interest, i will start working on a file. Might look at starting after the lebron draft. People go too crazy trying to tank for lebron other wise.
Posted Image

#6 Rubynator

Rubynator

Best closer in the game

• 2,608 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 04:57 AM

Then they'd tank for d12

I got dibs on LA btw

Posted Image

-LD2K aka Chris

#7 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,892 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted August 23, 2010 - 05:09 AM

I'm down but would suggest starting the league in correlation to this coming season. You can run it for a good period of time, then reset (it will be a continuous cycle I guess).
iyjywo.jpg

#8 Rubynator

Rubynator

Best closer in the game

• 2,608 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 05:26 AM

Meaning if the season starts so will the SL and when the season ends so will the SL?

Posted Image

-LD2K aka Chris

#9 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,892 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted August 23, 2010 - 05:45 AM

No, just start it (the sim league) at the 2010-'11 season. Doesn't matter when it ends.
iyjywo.jpg

#10 Rubynator

Rubynator

Best closer in the game

• 2,608 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 05:49 AM

Miami would own then

Miami would own then. Only reason it wont would be if TLF uses it

Posted Image

-LD2K aka Chris

#11 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,344 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted August 23, 2010 - 06:54 AM

[expletive] you guys i got better

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#12 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,279 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 23, 2010 - 07:56 AM

TLF got better you guys. sheep told me he was 38-12.

Posted Image

#13 Rubynator

Rubynator

Best closer in the game

• 2,608 posts

Posted August 23, 2010 - 04:55 PM

I was kidding Tlf

Posted Image

-LD2K aka Chris

#14 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 23, 2010 - 06:56 PM

If I allow this once again (third or fourth time?), everyone needs to understand that there will be no spamming in an attempt to move the sim league to another site. I had two PM's forwarded to me last time, where members gave out links to the "sim league site" that was put up, and it drew members away from the forums. Why was it done? So someone could have ban rights, dropping the members from the league and keeping them away completely.

Word is, the sim league didn't work out so well there, either.

No forum moderator, of any kind, has ban/suspension privileges. Global moderators (those that mod the entire board) do. At the end of the day, I work with the global mods, and they know exactly how to handle member disputes, and those that break the guidelines. Banning/suspending a member because of a sim league dispute? That means they are banned/suspended from the entire message board, and the only members I trust with that kind of power are the moderators I have today, hand-picked by me.

So, if it's going to be available to our members, those that are running the sim will not be able to ban or suspend any member. They can dump them from the league, but that's as far as it goes. Also, if there is word that the league is moving to another site yet again, anyone spamming that link will be permanently banned from TLN, and that's in PM's and using our members' AIM screen names (which you would be acquiring from OUR sim league, on OUR site).

#15 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,856 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted August 23, 2010 - 10:58 PM

Yeah I found it disrespectful when they left TLN and they used TLNs name for another site but its over now.

#16 lakerball4life

lakerball4life

Off The Bench

• 1,700 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 12:10 AM

If I allow this once again (third or fourth time?), everyone needs to understand that there will be no spamming in an attempt to move the sim league to another site. I had two PM's forwarded to me last time, where members gave out links to the "sim league site" that was put up, and it drew members away from the forums. Why was it done? So someone could have ban rights, dropping the members from the league and keeping them away completely.

Word is, the sim league didn't work out so well there, either.

No forum moderator, of any kind, has ban/suspension privileges. Global moderators (those that mod the entire board) do. At the end of the day, I work with the global mods, and they know exactly how to handle member disputes, and those that break the guidelines. Banning/suspending a member because of a sim league dispute? That means they are banned/suspended from the entire message board, and the only members I trust with that kind of power are the moderators I have today, hand-picked by me.

So, if it's going to be available to our members, those that are running the sim will not be able to ban or suspend any member. They can dump them from the league, but that's as far as it goes. Also, if there is word that the league is moving to another site yet again, anyone spamming that link will be permanently banned from TLN, and that's in PM's and using our members' AIM screen names (which you would be acquiring from OUR sim league, on OUR site).

(i apologise in advance, i am a bit of a long winded writer)

RD,

As commish of this whole thing, and I suspect the person you are referring to as the 'someone', couple of things

At no point have I ever requested, or expected the ability to ban members. I expressly stated that to everyone last time around. More to the point, all I wanted was the ability to delete posts, lock posts etc in only the sim league forum. I am not sure if the site can do that, I know the site we created when we left here could do that. I do not expect to be given moderation titles or any of that ish, I just want to be able to somewhat effectivly manage the forum so that you and the other admins do not have to.

Secondly, I moved the league off TLN because I felt it was being too bigger blight on the TLN name because of the behaviour of certain members. I could not control what they were posting, could not delete or lock topics. We had various moderators come in and ask us to tone it down, which I and the other quasi-moderators tried to do, but in the end we could do nothing to stop the people posting in the manner that they did. I approached (via pm, I have no other way of contacting mods/admins) various moderators and admins a few times to come in and throw down some punishment, but untimatly it all took too long (a few days), and the league was ruined. However due to the hard work of some of the members, which I would not start this thing without, managed to re-create the league at the new site, which ran for 10 seasons, which in my experience with these things, is somewhat of a record.

The move to take the league off TLN was in no way shape or form an attempt to 'take members from the site'. All of the members that were in our league were regulars on this forum, and still to this day continue to be. Some of which you will agree have become stronger posting members since - see TLF.

At the end of the day, my options to save face for the boarder TLN 'Brand' if you will was to shut the league down entirly(which was my first choice), or move it to another site (which I only did due to overwhelming request). At no point did I tell anyone to spam the mail box's here to find members. That was a completly independant decision by whom ever that was.

-------

Now a few questions of my own.

1) Is it possible that the sim league forum be a restricted access forum? Being completly website design incompetent like I am, I have no idea if that is remotly possible.

For instance. Member A requests to the commish of the league(me, or who ever we delegate) to join, I approve and onforward the request to a global mod to grant access? At the same time, and more importantly, if we then dump someone from the league, we can merly stop their access to the sim league. Thus not banning them from the site as a whole, but stopping them from trying to ruin the league if we oust them for poor behaviour.

I dont know how much work that would be, and if its too much work, feel free to say so. However if we make it restricted access only, i think it would be a) much easier for me to run and B) much 'safer' for the TLN site as a whole.

2) Would you rather we just run this at another site? Ideally I would love to bring it back to TLN, however am mindfull of previous, lets say failures. Be aware however that I was not involved in the last non event attempt at the league that was run on this site.

3) I would be in favour of this being on a trial basis, for the site's sake. Give us a season, then lets talk. If your satisfied with how its going, then happy days. If not, we will can it. If you think there are ways to improve it for everyones sake, lets do it.

Ultimatly, we have a fair while to discuss this, and get things sorted out as I wouldn't want this to start until the regular season starts if we do go ahead with it.
Posted Image

#17 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 24, 2010 - 07:38 PM

Actually...I wasn't talking about you. I'm not sure who it was that asked me if they can suspend members, but it wasn't you. From what I can remember, there were one or two others helping with the league. Or...maybe this was one of those other attempts?

Either way, someone had PM'ed me saying the league failed because he could not suspend members from the site, and that a few deserved the suspensions.

To my knowledge, anyone running the sim league could delete posts. I just did not allow anyone to edit other members' posts. If post deletion was not an option for you, then it was either my fault for not selecting it, or it was an error with the previous version of the board (which we have upgraded since). I can say that, right now, the Sim League group (the one you were in) has access to deleting posts, but not editing them.

And yes, I can restrict access to any forum, but not the global moderators. Those options are a bit more complicated than simple bans and suspensions, and require access to the board's control panel, a place only I'm allowed in (and Jaime).

But, with that said, what can happen is that you give me a list of those who are going to be in the league, including those helping run it, and I'll make that happen. I would rather have a list, though, than go one at a time.

#18 lakerball4life

lakerball4life

Off The Bench

• 1,700 posts

Posted August 24, 2010 - 11:27 PM

Actually...I wasn't talking about you. I'm not sure who it was that asked me if they can suspend members, but it wasn't you. From what I can remember, there were one or two others helping with the league. Or...maybe this was one of those other attempts?

Either way, someone had PM'ed me saying the league failed because he could not suspend members from the site, and that a few deserved the suspensions.

To my knowledge, anyone running the sim league could delete posts. I just did not allow anyone to edit other members' posts. If post deletion was not an option for you, then it was either my fault for not selecting it, or it was an error with the previous version of the board (which we have upgraded since). I can say that, right now, the Sim League group (the one you were in) has access to deleting posts, but not editing them.

And yes, I can restrict access to any forum, but not the global moderators. Those options are a bit more complicated than simple bans and suspensions, and require access to the board's control panel, a place only I'm allowed in (and Jaime).

But, with that said, what can happen is that you give me a list of those who are going to be in the league, including those helping run it, and I'll make that happen. I would rather have a list, though, than go one at a time.

That sounds like it will work then. Initially I will feild nominations for the league, and send you one big list of the players, and from then on it will just be a maintenance thing of a member here and there when one joins or leaves.

Understand about no editing posts, 100% cool with that. Just basic deleting, merging, locking, title editing, is all i would really need.

I think at this point, with my job/outside of work responsibilities, I wouldnt PLAY in the league, but would commish/sim it.
Posted Image

#19 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 24, 2010 - 11:46 PM

If you guys re-start, im in.

Lets go!

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#20 L.A.K.E.R