#1 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 17, 2010 - 07:34 PM

So, the computer is having volume control issues. When I try to adjust the volume it won't allow me to. When I click on it in the taskbar and try to adjust it...it won't go up nor down. The part where you can slide your finger and adjust the volume won't work either. I'm not sure if it's a software or hardware problem. Any ideas?

Edited by Windu, August 17, 2010 - 08:02 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#2 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,240 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted August 17, 2010 - 07:57 PM

what kind of computer (brand, modelt, etc)? Any new upgrades to sound card? Any new applications installed recently or did it just go out?

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#3 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted August 17, 2010 - 08:04 PM

what kind of computer (brand, modelt, etc)? Any new upgrades to sound card? Any new applications installed recently or did it just go out?

HP Pavilion

Haven't made any upgrades to the sound card. No new apps installed although those damn "windows updates" want to...update everyday.

you know the touch part where you adjust the volume? yeh, well...when you touch it now nothing happens; it doesn't even appear on the monitor anymore.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#4 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 02:16 AM

My [expletive] used to do that half the time, trying to change the volume would freeze the taskbar. Piece of [expletive] laptops

#5 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,104 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 07:13 AM

HP Pavilion

Haven't made any upgrades to the sound card. No new apps installed although those damn "windows updates" want to...update everyday.

you know the touch part where you adjust the volume? yeh, well...when you touch it now nothing happens; it doesn't even appear on the monitor anymore.

you're gonna have to update then. Better install those Windows Updates stuff, because some of it is most likely for the volume.

#6 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,279 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 18, 2010 - 08:25 AM

i have the same laptop
same problem
piece of [expletive]

Posted Image

#7 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,169 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Goku

Posted August 18, 2010 - 10:11 AM

wow everyone having laptop problems.. lucky im still in my 1 year warranty with my macbook pro. going to get apple care ;)

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#8 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 10:14 AM

you're gonna have to update then. Better install those Windows Updates stuff, because some of it is most likely for the volume.

I install the updates all the time. Don't know what they have to do with this problem though.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#9 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,104 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 10:22 AM

I install the updates all the time. Don't know what they have to do with this problem though.

Not sure bout u but some of the updates i install gotta do w my ATI Hi-def audio. there used to be times i decided not to install updates cuz it can get annoying, and my sound would be all weird all of a sudden. Once i install updates its fine again. But that's just me.

#10 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 05:02 PM

Not sure bout u but some of the updates i install gotta do w my ATI Hi-def audio. there used to be times i decided not to install updates cuz it can get annoying, and my sound would be all weird all of a sudden. Once i install updates its fine again. But that's just me.

How do you find out what the updates are specifically? MOST of the time, I allow the computer to go ahead and install the updates though; especially lately, whenever I'm prompted to install the updates...I do it.

As of this moment, I can adjust the volume from the taskbar but I can't adjust the volume from the area right above the function keys.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#11 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,104 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 05:13 PM

How do you find out what the updates are specifically? MOST of the time, I allow the computer to go ahead and install the updates though; especially lately, whenever I'm prompted to install the updates...I do it.

As of this moment, I can adjust the volume from the taskbar but I can't adjust the volume from the area right above the function keys.

Posted Image

Usually that will say either how many important updates you have or optional, etc... just click that and it will show an entire list of things it will update your system with. When you click on each update, there should be a lil box to the right that tells you what it does or what it's for I think.

#12 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 05:30 PM

Posted Image

Usually that will say either how many important updates you have or optional, etc... just click that and it will show an entire list of things it will update your system with. When you click on each update, there should be a lil box to the right that tells you what it does or what it's for I think.

Yeh, I checked that last night and I double checked it just now and it says that my computer is up to date.

I'm looking over the net and this is what I came across:

Troubleshooting the mute button and slider bar
If you are experiencing issues with the mute button and/or the slide bar located at the rear of the keyboard, do the following:
1.Verify that you have the latest BIOS installed and if not, see Install updated firmware (BIOS) for instructions on updating the BIOS.
1.If your BIOS is up-to-date or if the issue still exists after updating the BIOS, contact an HP support agent for additional assistance.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#13 Spooky

Spooky

TLN Daily News

• 2,167 posts
  • Name:Spooky
  • Fan Since:88'

Posted August 18, 2010 - 10:03 PM

Have you tried doing a system restore? Restore to an earlier time when it was actually working.

^ Try that first before [expletive]ing around with the bios.

#14 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 10:50 PM

Have you tried doing a system restore? Restore to an earlier time when it was actually working.

^ Try that first before [expletive]ing around with the bios.

A system restore won't solve the problem I don't think. And I'm not exactly sure when it began in the first place.

If I have to do something involving the BIOS, I'll be extra careful.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#15 Spooky

Spooky

TLN Daily News

• 2,167 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 11:07 PM

Reset the bios then.

#16 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 11:12 PM

Reset the bios then.

I may end up doing that. I'm exploring other options first though. Seems like everything is back to normal now though EXCEPT for the mute and slider bar.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#17 Spooky

Spooky

TLN Daily News

• 2,167 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 11:21 PM

Have you checked if you have a virus? Download Malwarebytes update it to the latest definitions, reboot you computer in safe mode and run a virus scan.

#18 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 11:30 PM

Have you checked if you have a virus? Download Malwarebytes update it to the latest definitions, reboot you computer in safe mode and run a virus scan.

I have not done that but I doubt that's the case. I'll prolly turn over every stone though. thanks

Pau Gasol is GONE

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 09:55 AM

so. just got off an online chat with HP. I installed a hp quick launch buttons driver update and some other update and the guy said that would fix the problem. But of course, it didn't.

now I prolly have to do a system restore but I don't have any blank cds.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#20 Spooky

Spooky

TLN Daily News

• 2,167 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 10:07 AM

so. just got off an online chat with HP. I installed a hp quick launch buttons driver update and some other update and the guy said that would fix the problem. But of course, it didn't.

now I prolly have to do a system restore but I don't have any blank cds.

What do you need blank CD's for? System restore doesn't delete your files.

Edited by Spooky, August 19, 2010 - 10:08 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users