Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,457 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted August 15, 2010 - 07:36 AM

All Era Draft Challenge

GENERAL INFORMATION

There will be either 12 or 14 teams. Each team will be responsible for creating their own team thread, giving themselves any team name they desire. I’ll do my best to choose managers based on who was first, but also on your post history. Only those who will be fully engaged will be allowed.

The draft order will be based on a lottery format. The sign-up list will be randomized and each player on the list, in order, will then receive a number from 1 to 12. This is the order in which they will pick their draft slot. The draft will be banzai format, in which the first round goes 1-12, then the 12th GM gets the first pick in the next two rounds, and then it goes snake after the 1st GM makes their first pick in the fourth round. This will help keep teams balanced.

Participants will have 12 hours to choose a player after the previous player has been drafted. If you don't think you're going to be around you can send a list in to me, or if you don't feel comfortable sending it to me you can send it to one of the judges. So say you're pick is 4 away, but you won't be around today, send a list of your top 4 choices.

ROSTERS

Each roster will be comprised of twelve players. Euros who aren't currently in the NBA are not allowed. Players chosen who are currently in the league are assumed to be in their prime. Rookies and young players who may not have reached their "prime" yet will be judged at their current level since it is unfair to assume where they will be in the future.

Players must have played during or after the '69-'70 season to be eligible for the draft. The main idea behind this reasoning had to do with eliminating the silly era debates over stat inflation, athleticism, and the level of competition that may have, or may not have, led to certain achievements or success.

You will be responsible for choosing which version of your drafted players you want, by picking which season they played in to have on your team. Do you want an 04-05 scoring machine Kobe Bryant, or the 08-09 matured, trust his teammates Kobe?

TRADES

Trades can only happen after the draft concludes. Aside from the first pick you make, any player will be tradeable. Each team will be allowed two make two trades. Three team trades are allowed. A player can only change teams once.

COACHING AND THE PLAYOFFS
At the conclusion of the trading portion of the contest, each GM will submit a write-up as to why their team should be one of the top four teams in their conference. The judges will then pick the top four, in each conference, seed them, and a single-elimination, eight-team tournament will begin.

Go into this expecting that you will NEED to know how to coach your team. You will need to know what sets you are going to run and you will need to know defensive strategies to counter your opponent. You can’t just amass talent and let it do the work. This isn’t numbers driven fantasy basketball. Not only must you be able to rate talent, know when talent is at its peak, AND pick talents that mesh together, but you must pick a game plan that UTILIZES the talent you’ve brought together. This is so important I can’t stress it enough.

Anymore questions feel free to ask.

GMs
1. Klewfish

JUDGES

Again, if anything else isn't clear please ask. Also it would be helpful if judges were perhaps a little more experienced with past NBA players, instead of just reading statistics to know how they were as players.

Edited by Klewfish, May 30, 2011 - 09:19 AM.

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#2 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,495 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 15, 2010 - 09:04 AM

Ill be Judge.
Posted Image

#3 Klewfish

Klewfish

• 1,457 posts

Posted August 15, 2010 - 11:43 AM

All Era Draft Challenge

GENERAL INFORMATION

There will be either 12 or 14 teams. Each team will be responsible for creating their own team thread, giving themselves any team name they desire. I’ll do my best to choose managers based on who was first, but also on your post history. Only those who will be fully engaged will be allowed.

The draft order will be based on a lottery format. The sign-up list will be randomized and each player on the list, in order, will then receive a number from 1 to 12. This is the order in which they will pick their draft slot. The draft will be banzai format, in which the first round goes 1-12, then the 12th GM gets the first pick in the next two rounds, and then it goes snake after the 1st GM makes their first pick in the fourth round. This will help keep teams balanced.

Participants will have 12 hours to choose a player after the previous player has been drafted. If you don't think you're going to be around you can send a list in to me, or if you don't feel comfortable sending it to me you can send it to one of the judges. So say you're pick is 4 away, but you won't be around today, send a list of your top 4 choices.

ROSTERS

Each roster will be comprised of twelve players. Euros who aren't currently in the NBA are not allowed. Players chosen who are currently in the league are assumed to be in their prime. Rookies and young players who may not have reached their "prime" yet will be judged at their current level since it is unfair to assume where they will be in the future.

Players must have played during or after the '69-'70 season to be eligible for the draft. The main idea behind this reasoning had to do with eliminating the silly era debates over stat inflation, athleticism, and the level of competition that may have, or may not have, led to certain achievements or success.

You will be responsible for choosing which version of your drafted players you want, by picking which season they played in to have on your team. Do you want an 04-05 scoring machine Kobe Bryant, or the 08-09 matured, trust his teammates Kobe?

TRADES

Trades can only happen after the draft concludes. Aside from the first pick you make, any player will be tradeable. Each team will be allowed two make two trades. Three team trades are allowed. A player can only change teams once.

COACHING AND THE PLAYOFFS
At the conclusion of the trading portion of the contest, each GM will submit a write-up as to why their team should be one of the top four teams in their conference. The judges will then pick the top four, in each conference, seed them, and a single-elimination, eight-team tournament will begin.

Go into this expecting that you will NEED to know how to coach your team. You will need to know what sets you are going to run and you will need to know defensive strategies to counter your opponent. You can’t just amass talent and let it do the work. This isn’t numbers driven fantasy basketball. Not only must you be able to rate talent, know when talent is at its peak, AND pick talents that mesh together, but you must pick a game plan that UTILIZES the talent you’ve brought together. This is so important I can’t stress it enough.

Anymore questions feel free to ask.

GMs so Far
1. Klewfish
2. 24BlackMamba24
3. Massacre
4. Clutch
5. offtheheezy

JUDGES so far
1. K0be09-10

Again, if anything else isn't clear please ask. Also it would be helpful if judges were perhaps a little more experienced with past NBA players, instead of just reading statistics to know how they were as players.

Edited by Klewfish, August 19, 2010 - 03:04 PM.

Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#4 Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Kobe-Wan Kenobi

The Man With Double Picks

• 1,626 posts
  • Name:Alex
  • Fan Since:My Birth
  • Fav. Laker:BlackMamba-Magic-Queensbridge

Posted August 15, 2010 - 12:20 PM

Great idea, Klewfish. I'd love to be a GM.
Just some questions:
How will the judges pick the top four teams on each conference?
And could we choose any player who have ever played since '69/'70 season?

sigkwk.jpg
KobeWanKenobi

There's gold and it's haunting and haunting; it's luring me on as of old; Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting So much as just finding the gold; It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder, It's the forest where silence has lease; It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder, It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

#5 Klewfish

Klewfish

• 1,457 posts

Posted August 15, 2010 - 01:18 PM

Great idea, Klewfish. I'd love to be a GM.
Just some questions:
How will the judges pick the top four teams on each conference?
And could we choose any player who have ever played since '69/'70 season?

For judging, we'll do a points systems. Judges will personally rank teams 1-8. 1st place gets 8 pts, 2nd gets 7, and so on. Highest combined score from all three judges will get #1 seed, second highest #2 seed, and again, so on.

You can choose any player that has played since those years. So lets say you pick Shaq. His most dominant year was probably 00-01, so you draft Shaq and say you want him from that year. You draft Michael Cooper, you can take him from his 86-87 year where he was DPOY and also had a good shooting year and played all 82 games on a way to a championship. Or maybe you think he played better in 83-84 even though he didn't win that award. It's also to eliminate differences in eras. You have players like Harry Gallatin who played in the 50s, he was a 6' 6'' 210 lb PF/C who averaged double digit rebounds including 15.3rpg with the Knicks. Obviously if you plugged him into today's game as a C I don't think he would have similar stats, and it's hard to determine what he would do if he was put in a position relative to today's game like a SG.

#6 Kobe-Wan Kenobi

Kobe-Wan Kenobi

The Man With Double Picks

• 1,626 posts
  • Name:Alex
  • Fan Since:My Birth
  • Fav. Laker:BlackMamba-Magic-Queensbridge

Posted August 17, 2010 - 12:15 PM

Any updates?
Nobody's joining us?

sigkwk.jpg
KobeWanKenobi

There's gold and it's haunting and haunting; it's luring me on as of old; Yet it isn't the gold that I'm wanting So much as just finding the gold; It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder, It's the forest where silence has lease; It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder, It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

#7 Klewfish

Klewfish

• 1,457 posts

Posted August 18, 2010 - 08:35 AM

I guess not. I might message some people and see if they are interested, or maybe this can get moved to a forum that gets more traffic like NBA Discussion or Off-Topic. I'll see what I can do.

#8 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,816 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted August 19, 2010 - 12:56 AM

I'll play, judge or both if we're short. I'll see if I can some old sim-league pals from TLN to join. This is very exciting as long as you have committed managers + strong & consistent judges.
iyjywo.jpg

#9 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,561 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 01:06 AM

i think i wanna play too, sign me up

bw1wOGf.png

#10 Klewfish

Klewfish

• 1,457 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 05:21 AM

Massacre, did you do this before, I'm sure you did. Can you think of any rules that I have forgotten or can add?

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,920 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 19, 2010 - 11:17 AM

Just understand that the past sim leagues may have ruined things like this...not those running them, for the most part, but just the complications as a whole. It's unfortunate, but it happens on most sites I've been on.

As for sticking this in another forum, I'm not so sure that will be a good idea. Everyone has to view the Feedback forum when they log onto the site..second forum from the banner, at the top of the board. Sticking it into the off-topic section basically keeps it off of the forum index (because of the amount of discussion in there), and the same goes for the Lakers Talk section.

#12 offtheheezy

offtheheezy

Off The Bench

• 2,592 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fish

Posted August 19, 2010 - 12:52 PM

I'm down to play this again. I need to redeem myself from last time. :laughing:

Posted Image

When he's asked why Kobe doesn't tweet, @thugraider37 said he offers this reply: "Does God tweet?"

#13 Klewfish

Klewfish

• 1,457 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 03:05 PM

Awesome, again, those who have played before let me know if there's any tidbits or rules that people should know beforehand that I haven't mentioned already.

#14 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,561 posts

Posted August 19, 2010 - 03:39 PM

i changed my mind actually...take my name off - sorry lol

bw1wOGf.png

#15 Massacre

Massacre

yo

• 5,816 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Yobe Bryant

Posted August 23, 2010 - 11:09 PM

Bump. Nobody wants to play? It's not very time-consuming. If you check-in once a day, you'll be fine. Good chance to learn about the game's past. Even if you don't know much, there's plenty of resources to utilize. My first time playing this game I put together a Drexler-Barkley-Gasol trio, which looks pretty decent.

BTW-You pretty much covered all the rules Klewfish. We just need to get it going now, which is looking like a difficult task.
iyjywo.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users