Photo

Nets Reopen Trade Talks For Carmelo (Pg. 23)

• Please log in to reply
453 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,736 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted June 23, 2010 - 12:45 PM

Carmelo Getting Closer On Extension With Nuggets

Posted Image

The Denver Nuggets and Carmelo Anthony are making significant progress on a contract extension that would result in Anthony landing a new contract this offseason, according to sources with knowledge of the discussions.

A three-year max extension worth more than $60 million could be announced within days of Thursday's draft, sources said. Another source estimated the timetable at "a couple of weeks."

If Anthony chose to wait on an extension to explore free agency, he would become the prime face of the 2011 summer.

Sources say some within Anthony's camp would prefer to keep pressure on the Nuggets to continue to improve, but getting a more favorable contract under the current CBA is an incentive.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5318846

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, June 29, 2010 - 11:36 PM.

#2 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted June 23, 2010 - 01:04 PM

Monster contract for this guy

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#3 Thurzday

Thurzday

In Kobe we trust.

• 481 posts
  • Name:Thurzday
  • Fan Since:Since the world started to suck LeBron, and say he's better than the God..
  • Fav. Laker:Now: Odom. All Time: Worthy.

Posted June 23, 2010 - 01:06 PM

All about the money..can't blame him.

Posted Image

YOUTUBE.
TUMBLR.

I got FIVE RINGS, headed to the next hand..
That means FIVE THINGS, better than the next man..

#4 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,736 posts

Posted June 29, 2010 - 11:39 PM

Nuggets Might Be Willing To Trade Carmelo

Posted Image

The Nuggets are pressing Carmelo Anthony for a long-term commitment, because if he declines a three-year, $65 million contract extension now on the table, the team must consider trading its leading scorer.

Trade Melo? Would the Nuggets really part ways with a 26-year-old forward in the prime of his NBA career? Denver might not have any choice.

With an eye on how megastars LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh have held the league's competitive balance in their fickle hands and turned this summer's free-agency period into a three-ring circus, the Nuggets seem determined not to let Anthony do the same in Denver.

While their offer of a hefty contract extension proves the Nuggets hope Anthony will remain the face of the franchise for years to come, the team is prepared to trade Melo rather than let him walk as a free agent next summer, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

At a salary of $17 million, Anthony is committed to play for Denver during the upcoming season. But here's the rub. Anthony can opt out of his contract next summer, and free agency might appear all the more tempting after seeing the league-wide groveling James has instigated.

As a proactive move, the Nuggets have quietly tried to secure the services of Anthony through 2015 before losers in the pursuit of this talent-laden class of free agents can begin dreaming of Melo.

While a city of Broncomaniacs has obsessed with the contract status of football stars Elvis Dumervil and Champ Bailey, the negotiations between the Nuggets and Anthony might have already reached a more critical stage, because management of the local NBA franchise has shown it is unafraid to make trades involving a marquee player.

At a time when pro basketball superstars have never wielded more power in how league rosters are built, it seems to me Anthony must apply whatever leverage he can to determine to what extent the Nuggets are willing to improve his supporting cast.

Often treated as a bigger star on the road than at home, Melo could find riches and live like a king in almost any NBA city from New York to Los Angeles. He genuinely likes Denver, but at this point in his career, what should motivate Anthony is finding the situation that gives him the best chance to win a ring. I have advocated he not sign any deal with the Nuggets unless the team can give assurances help is on the way.

Why? These negotiations are not really about money so much as the talks force both Anthony and the Nuggets to examine if they can live happily ever after.

You can bet on this: Although Stan Kroenke craves a championship, the Nuggets owner is a tough negotiator who isn't going to play a game of my wallet is bigger against Mark Cuban in Dallas or Mikhail Prokhorov in New Jersey.

It's hard to envision any business run by Kroenke allowing an asset as valuable as Anthony to walk away for nothing. Either the I's will be dotted and the T's will be crossed on a new deal with the Nuggets long before the trade deadline next winter or you can color Melo gone from Denver.

Unwilling to use coach George Karl's battle with cancer as an excuse, Nuggets management saw the team's first-round flameout in the playoffs as proof the current roster is unlikely to win a championship.

With guard Chauncey Billups approaching his 34th birthday, forward Kenyon Martin facing recovery from yet another knee surgery and the distinct possibility of labor strife interrupting the 2011-12 season, it's not too early for everybody to begin long-term planning and ask a tough question:

Does Denver have a future as a serious NBA contender with a nucleus of Anthony, promising guard Ty Lawson and frustrating center Nene?

Without a solid commitment from Anthony, the Nuggets might feel as if they have no choice except to blow up the roster and start over.

http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_15405631?

#5 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted June 30, 2010 - 05:49 AM

whoa

Pau Gasol is GONE

#6 SHAQ WHERE YOU AT

SHAQ WHERE YOU AT

cool kid

• 4,362 posts
  • Name:Super Stud
  • Fav. Laker:Nick, Gary

Posted June 30, 2010 - 08:28 AM

better than letting him walk i guess...

Posted Image

#7 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted June 30, 2010 - 09:17 AM

Posted Image

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2010/06/carmelo-anthony-available-trade-nuggets/1

Kobe Bryant will be in a Lakers uniform next season, Dwight Howard will continue to star as Superman in Orlando and beyond that not too much is certain among the NBA's superstars.

Paul Pierce and Dirk Nowitzki have decided to join the most illustrious gang of NBA free agents ever, and now one more big name may be up for grabs besides LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

The Denver Post says the Nuggets may be forced to begrudgingly make Carmelo Anthony available for trade,
if he declines to sign the three-year, $65 million contract extension they're offering.

Posted Image

#8 ILLWiLL20

ILLWiLL20

Chick and Stu

• 5,071 posts
  • Name:WILL.I.AM
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Mamba

Posted June 30, 2010 - 09:20 AM

At a salary of $17 million, Anthony is committed to play for Denver during the upcoming season. But here's the rub. Anthony can opt out of his contract next summer, and free agency might appear all the more tempting after seeing the league-wide groveling James has instigated.

As a proactive move, the Nuggets have quietly tried to secure the services of Anthony through 2015 before losers in the pursuit of this talent-laden class of free agents can begin dreaming of Melo.

Posted Image

#9 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,496 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 30, 2010 - 10:21 AM

Do It. J/K
Posted Image

#10 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,022 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 10:42 AM

Denver will be done without melo

#11 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted June 30, 2010 - 10:44 AM

Denver will be done without melo

Naw, they can tell Kleiza to comeback from Europe or sumthing.

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#12 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,512 posts

Posted June 30, 2010 - 10:51 AM

carmelo is a top 5 player in the NBA IMO i would trade bynum for him in a heartbeat

you may think we'll lack punch inside but with the full MLE you can sign brendan haywood and be just fine
Posted Image

#13 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,873 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted June 30, 2010 - 11:12 AM

carmelo is a top 5 player in the NBA IMO i would trade bynum for him in a heartbeat

you may think we'll lack punch inside but with the full MLE you can sign brendan haywood and be just fine

melo and kobe, v wade and lebron

imagine that a couple of times a season, and maybe in the finals

Posted Image

#14 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted June 30, 2010 - 10:54 PM

They won't win crap with him as their #1.

They are right to dangle him (even as an exploratory move) to at least seeing what his value is out there.

#15 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,736 posts

Posted July 01, 2010 - 05:10 PM

Nuggets Offer Carmelo Anthony $65M Extension

Posted Image

The Nuggets are trying to keep Carmelo Anthony from headlining the free agent class of 2011.

Denver has a three-year, $65 million offer on the table to extend Anthony's contract through 2015.

He's due to make $17 million next season, after which he can opt out and become an unrestricted free agent.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5346961

#16 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,736 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 12:49 PM

Source: Melo Has Strong Desire To Play For Knicks

Posted Image

Those vying to fill the Knicks' general manager position are selling their ability to bring Carmelo Anthony to New York next summer.

But according to a story from Ken Berger of CBS Sports, it may no longer be necessary to convince Anthony he should join the Knicks.

"Carmelo already wants to play in New York," one person with knowledge of his plans told Berger. "He doesn't need anybody to bring him there. He's a gunslinger. That situation is perfect for him."

Berger writes that "Anthony's desire to play in New York is so strong, sources say, that those close to the three-time All-Star have scoffed at the efforts of executives touting themselves as being able to deliver him."

Chauncey Billups said Tuesday that he doesn't know which way his teammate is leaning.

"If I was a betting man? I don’t know," Billups said. "Of course, I'm biased because I'm playing on the team that he’s playing on. But I'm optimistic that he’s going to come back and play for the Nuggets. I know he loves the city. Shoot, he’s been there since he was 20 years old. So I'm optimistic, but I don’t know. I wish I did, but I don’t."

http://ken-berger.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/11838893/23789550

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, August 17, 2010 - 12:33 PM.

#17 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,102 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 01:42 PM

No surprise here at all.

#18 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,736 posts

Posted August 11, 2010 - 01:44 PM

He's born in New York and his wife, La La is from New York. I think he'll choose NY than re-sign with the Nugs too.

#19 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,736 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted August 11, 2010 - 01:51 PM

Go for it Carmelo!

#20 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted August 11, 2010 - 02:18 PM

Definitely no surprise.

When the Nuggets tank and Carmelo does his usual on-court pouting when things go south instead of stepping up like a leader should, he'll have his excuse for leaving already built in. Chris Paul and Carmelo will both be in New York next year, forming yet another paper team with no regard to actual basketball effectiveness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users