Need help with my [expletive]in up laptop

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 03:01 PM

I'll give it a looksee, thanks. Dammit, I really don't wanna lose the trillions of pics I have... right after losing my xbox saves....

You think I can remove the harddrive and put it into my dad's non-Toshiba laptop and see if that works without anything messing up for him?

#22 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,809 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 01, 2010 - 04:19 PM

hey man, i'll burn a windows 7 dvd for you if you still need it, and take it to IV at some point over the next week

Posted Image

#23 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted August 01, 2010 - 08:57 PM

I'll give it a looksee, thanks. Dammit, I really don't wanna lose the trillions of pics I have... right after losing my xbox saves....

You think I can remove the harddrive and put it into my dad's non-Toshiba laptop and see if that works without anything messing up for him?

First, try using Game's DVD to find a restore point. That will be the best method right now.

#24 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 11:42 PM

Thanks Game, that would work if I wasn't home for the summer... this keeps getting worse. Thanks for trying though.

Can someone, you know, help me out through PMs? Or at least tell me what exactly I should search for? W7 recovery disc?

#25 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts

Posted August 01, 2010 - 11:46 PM

Just search for "Windows 7" and you should find it. Do you remember what version you had? Ultimate?

#26 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted August 02, 2010 - 12:50 AM

The Home one or something.. I just downloaded this from here: http://cybernetnews....-recovery-disc/

Burning the image as a bootable disc or whatever, I hope that works... then on to backing everything up if I somehow succeed at this.

Blah, I burned that and on my laptop I make it load up from the CD/DVD drive, and it just goes to a black screen with a "_" on it. If I press buttons my computer just beeps. CTRL+ALT+DEL makes it restart.

I just found this post http://www.sevenforu...html#post766505 which I'll try tomorrow, hope that works..

Edited by Imadogg, August 02, 2010 - 01:40 AM.

#27 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 09:35 PM

My harddrive is [expletive]ed huh.

I use recovery disc, doesn't load up. Took my harddrive out, put it into a case that makes it external through USB (don't know what those are called), hooked it up to the desktop. The desktop freezes when I try to access or virus scan the harddrive. I disconnect USB and the pc works fine again. And when the harddrive is not in the laptop, it boots up the recovery disc just fine.

DAMN. IT.

#28 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 09:39 PM

If you can't access the HD using the converter (USB), then it's the worst case scenario for you...the drive is dead.

You could send it to me, I guess...and I'll see if I can pull anything off of it. But more than likely, it's gone.

#29 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 09:45 PM

I would but you're too far.

There go my pics.

Thanks for the help.... I'll go cry now. [expletive]

#30 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 09:53 PM

Ok so, is this good news?

When I boot up from disc, without the harddrive in, it works, like I said.

So I load it up to this page:
Posted Image

Then I go to this page:
Posted Image

Doesn't show any operating systems for me there. BUT... I hope this gives me hope. I click on load drivers and it lets me browse. Not much to see.

I plug in my HD now through the USB. And it lets me browse the harddrive. I can browse through program files, my pictures, whatever.

This has to be good news right?

#31 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 09:56 PM

Yep. First, before anything else, copy and paste your important stuff over to your PC.

Then stick the drive back into your laptop and go to Startup Repair, and see if you can fix it by using that (unlocking the registry values).

If that doesn't work, try System Restore, and try to restore to an earlier date (thinking back to BEFORE you had the problem).

#32 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 10:04 PM

Ah, just re-read and noticed you can't get it to boot when you have the HD in.

Put the drive back into the laptop, then hold ESC and turn the laptop on, still holding the button. It should beep, then give you directions (think it says something about pressing F1)...so you then let go of ESC and hit F1, and it should send you into the BIOS, where you'll change the boot order. DVD drive first.

Of course, make sure you have the DVD in.

#33 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 10:35 PM

Ah, just re-read and noticed you can't get it to boot when you have the HD in.

Put the drive back into the laptop, then hold ESC and turn the laptop on, still holding the button. It should beep, then give you directions (think it says something about pressing F1)...so you then let go of ESC and hit F1, and it should send you into the BIOS, where you'll change the boot order. DVD drive first.

Of course, make sure you have the DVD in.

Nah, I changed the boot order a while back to CD/DVD first, just whenever the harddrive is in, it won't load it. Even when the DVD is first in line, and the HD is connected through USB, it won't load.

But whoa. So I was on that load drivers page, browsing. I right clicked and saw that I could copy. Connected my external. Copied a folder of pics... and it worked. Ho ly [expletive].

I don't know what other way I could reach the files right now, but they are still there. I might just start copying everything from this page.

#34 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts

Posted August 05, 2010 - 11:37 PM

You could copy everything over, then take the drive and put it back on the PC (using the USB adapter) and re-install Win7.

You'd just need to make sure you don't install Win7 on the PC's drive, haha.

#35 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted August 06, 2010 - 01:36 PM

Real, give yourself like 10 more +1s for trying to help this whole time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users