#1 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 27, 2008 - 08:07 AM

Good piece. Phil doesn't want Bynum to be a one-on-one scorer. IMO, that's not dramatic, because in reality, he typically cleans-up off of screen rolls, lobs, etc.

L.O. is low key.

Kobe is ready, basking in Olympic glory.

This is an important year. One that may set the stage for a decade of decadence; or, the beginning of the end of what might have been. (Or somewhere in between. :unsure: )

"You guys seen L.O.?"

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#2 The Original 81

The Original 81

TLN Rep: New York

• 323 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 27, 2008 - 10:00 AM

Man, Phil looks weird without facial hair. I'll definitely have to get used to that.

#3 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted September 27, 2008 - 10:16 AM

Man, Phil looks weird without facial hair. I'll definitely have to get used to that.

I'm with you on that...look...younger....:lol:

#4 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted September 27, 2008 - 12:14 PM

Sounds like he is really high on Trevor

Posted Image

"To whom much is given much is tested."

#5 Rick

Rick

Rookie

• 82 posts

Posted September 27, 2008 - 01:24 PM

Bynum has the natural talent to be a good one on one low post scorer, if Phil's too stupid to use it then maybe it's time to put him out to pasteur. Obviously, the ability to command double teams only makes the offense better not worse.

#6 LD2k

LD2k

the VISION of the FANS

• 2,289 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:The Womb

Posted September 27, 2008 - 03:10 PM

It's going to be such a great season. That being said, Phil needs to find the right combination to be absolutely dominant.

#7 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,913 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 27, 2008 - 03:58 PM

Bynum has the natural talent to be a good one on one low post scorer, if Phil's too stupid to use it then maybe it's time to put him out to pasteur. Obviously, the ability to command double teams only makes the offense better not worse.

I don't think that Bynum has yet shown us that he can be relied upon as a consistent go-to guy. Semantics aside, Bynum has still done most of his scoring off of lobs and screen rolls, rather than "creating" his own offense. That's fine. He can get 15-20 points a game in that role.

He is still devleoping his low post moves. With Pau in the mix, you don't have to force-feed Andrew and say, "Go to work!", but rather, you can allow him to set screens, roll to the rim, etc.
He'll get his chances in the low post. He's just not needed (yet) to carry the offensive load by his lonesome in the front court (a la Shaq).

Pau is a more highly-skilled offensive player thant Bynum. No shame in that. Bynum is more physical. We need to be taking advantage of those respective skill sets.
Personally, I think we are going to see beautiful basketball.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#8 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,829 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 27, 2008 - 06:38 PM

I completely agree Ukuga.

Bynum does have yet to prove that on a consistent basis and for the stretch of a full season he can be a good one on one scorer. He is absolutely excellent at moving off of low screens and setting picks into motion, but as far as a face up or back to the basket one on one move - nobodty's een much of that up to this point.

With Andrew saying that he's worked on his small range jumper, I expect that he too knows that aspect of his game needs heavy work.

Phil is right on the money about this one (as usual). How can you say someone is good in a facet of the game if they have yet to prove that skill? You can't.

I agree about the "beautiful basketball" comment too. With the finesse of Gasol, the motion of Odom from the arc to the high post, or Ariza at the 3 causing havoc in the mid-range and Andrew taking up every inch of space in the paint, the floor is wide open for Kobe, Derek, Sasha, or anyone to drive find an open shot outside or get quality touches virtually anywhere. With that amount of athleticism and trees in the front court, there can be giant paths opened up for slashing drives.

That defensive hole in the middle is instantly sealed up with Andrew back in tow. It allows Odom to not have to sag off of his man to dump down low and help get fouls in the paint. So Odom stays in the mid-range within reaching distance of his man, Kobe is stifling everyone from the arc inwards (pushing them into the shot blockers), Derek's under the screen problem can be covered easier with Ariza, Sasha or Kobe being able to stay up top and not have to jump low to help. The intimidation in the paint simply from size alone will be enough to make smaller guards think twice about having an easy trip to the hoop.

All this and if Sasha can continue to improve on his shooting touch, Radmanovic falls back into shooting form, Luke is now free to not have to look to score at all, but rather play the facilitator / man in motion off the ball he does well (when healthy), Farmar is a year wiser coming in off the bench to be that quick guard (I wouldn't be surprised to see Pau at the 4, Andrew at the 5, Kobe at the 3 and a back court of Fish and Farmar) to roam around the perimeter also forcing drives into shot blocking.

Man - it WILL be a thing of beauty. At least for Laker fans, not so much for everyone else.

#9 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted September 27, 2008 - 11:56 PM

Man I want to see Sun Yue and how he plays. We pretty much know how all the other Lakers are going to be like including Bynum.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#10 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,071 posts

Posted September 28, 2008 - 01:18 AM

yes lets fire 9-time champion phil jackson on account of an arm chair coach on a laker forum

because i'm sure you know much more about the lakers than phil jackson who did i mention is a first ballot hall of famer

oh and 9-time champion
Posted Image

#11 We Believe

We Believe

Sixth Man

• 2,805 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Fish.

Posted September 28, 2008 - 12:22 PM

he looks much different.

2010 NBA CHAMPIONS = LOS ANGELES LAKERS

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users