Photo

How good would the US be if their elite athletes played soccer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MiguelSanchez

MiguelSanchez

Rookie

• 128 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Mike Penberthy

Posted July 11, 2010 - 10:24 PM

Clearly, not many of the top US athletes play soccer growing up, while many of the other countries' best (at least over the last couple decades) still go into soccer.

I wonder how good a team of elite US athletes could be if they grew up dreaming of winning the world cup, or could get paid like Beckham in MLS or something. A team with a goaltender like Larry Fitzgerald (who can go up and snatch the ball from anyone and is used to playing with big gloves), big but athletic guys like LeBron, Troy Polamalu, Darelle Revis, Kobe, and Matt Kemp playing midfield and defense, while NFL players with that big burst of speed like Reggie Bush and Desean Jackson playing forward. Maybe Fisher can be in there to draw some cards, and Jose Canseco for his heading ability.

I know the game of "what if" is irrelevant but it's fun to consider it. It's painfully obvious that the US doesn't match up with the rest of the elite nations in terms of athleticism on their soccer team.

#2 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,689 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted July 12, 2010 - 03:07 AM

I'm not sure if it would work, because their bodies are trained focused on one kind of sport, and you don't have the same kind of preparation every sport. But it would be interesting.
Posted Image

#3 Deltron

Deltron

Rookie

• 549 posts
  • Fan Since:The Beginning
  • Fav. Laker:The Team

Posted July 26, 2010 - 12:07 PM

Worse. Those guys aren't soccer players for a reason.

“I told Luke, you’re young, you’re rich, and you’re living in Beverly Hills. If you’re not having the time of your life right now, I have failed you as a father.” - Bill Walton

#4 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted September 23, 2010 - 01:52 PM

Clearly, not many of the top US athletes play soccer growing up, while many of the other countries' best (at least over the last couple decades) still go into soccer.

I wonder how good a team of elite US athletes could be if they grew up dreaming of winning the world cup, or could get paid like Beckham in MLS or something. A team with a goaltender like Larry Fitzgerald (who can go up and snatch the ball from anyone and is used to playing with big gloves), big but athletic guys like LeBron, Troy Polamalu, Darelle Revis, Kobe, and Matt Kemp playing midfield and defense, while NFL players with that big burst of speed like Reggie Bush and Desean Jackson playing forward. Maybe Fisher can be in there to draw some cards, and Jose Canseco for his heading ability.

I know the game of "what if" is irrelevant but it's fun to consider it. It's painfully obvious that the US doesn't match up with the rest of the elite nations in terms of athleticism on their soccer team.

One thing is being fast with the ball on your hand, another is being fast and dribblin with the ball on your feet. Larry Fitzgerald is used to catchin the ball with gloves, not the same gloves a goalie use, and a ball thrown by somebody with their hands and aimed at at most 1mtr away from his body, goalies have to get up there and find the ball, thrown by somebody with his feet, much harder obviously and much farther from where they are standing. This "what if" doesn't work, if you play basketball, football, you play them for a reason, and you wouldn't be as good playin another sport that switches from hands, to feet, maybe a good basketball player could play football, cause u use the same main body part to be effective.

Edited by fedefox, September 23, 2010 - 01:53 PM.

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#5 serenityy

serenityy

Off The Bench

• 1,898 posts
  • Fan Since:1995
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 25, 2012 - 01:21 PM

Not very good still.

Athletics wont get you very far in a sport filled with skilled players.

#6 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted April 11, 2012 - 09:13 PM

they can run like hell but the fact that running while dribbling(kicking) the ball is another thing. they would probably be good as a defender and goal keepers

#7 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted November 15, 2012 - 12:24 AM

Who knows, women's USA soccer seem to have lots of success.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users