Posted September 25, 2008 - 06:55 PM

Hope for speedy recovery too. Same language like him also. =]

#22 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,089 posts

Posted September 25, 2008 - 07:39 PM

ATTENTION

I've had alot of experience with this virus, so I can inform you.

Basically, I've had mononucleosis, or as it is more commonly known, "Glandular Fever". I suffered with it for nearly Two years, which is way more than the average lifespan of the virus. Unfortunately, even after it has passed, it can leave effects that last for years. As I said before, I've had it for a very long time (cleared now), my cousin is currently suffering it and my Mum had it twice.

For me personally, every four weeks I would be completely out a week with a soar throat. I couldn't eat anything. I would lose a fair amount of weight. This will probably happen to Sun as well. One of the other major effects of this virus is fatigue. The fatigue this virus can give you SHOULD NOT BE UNDERESTIMATED! Even when he is supposedly "healthy", he will probably only be playing at 40%. He will also have all the other symptoms an illness will give you ( Headache, fever and so forth). Don't laugh, but this virus can also give you depression. Pain in the joints are common as well. I had extreme pain in the back of my knees when I had it.

Other post effects can include:

ME (which is effectively a career postponing illness I think).
Weakness in immune system which could lead to other illnesses.
Post depression due to chemical inbalance.

I feel sorry for the guy, because I have, and I know others who have suffered badly because of this illness. I will definitely stick up for him if people criticize him. You have to understand how fatigued he will feel all through the season.

Unfortunately, there is no cure for the virus, hence the, "There is no date for his return." line. It goes when it goes. If he gets 6 weeks of COMPLETE rest, no hard work at all, it will help the process. One thing is that he can't kiss anyone :lol:. The only way the virus is spread is through saliva.

By the way, I think in America it's called a disease, in Europe is it a "virus". It could be classified as both.

Hope this helps other Laker fans to appreciate how hard this will be for him, get well soon Yue! I will be rooting for you.

wow thanks for the good info. i was about to google it.

ive got even more respect for him now. im sure he'll be workin his hard and best but with some limits.

#23 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 25, 2008 - 08:19 PM

You don't understand, mono IS Glandular Fever. They are the same illnesses.

:lol:

I made a post earlier in this thread saying about my bad experience with it. If anyone on this board knows about Mono (or Glandular fever as it is commonly known) I do.

We covered mono in med school. My wife is a Nurse Anesthetist. I'm pretty sure what I don't know, she knows.

Mono can be drawn out or mild. That can't be known before hand.

The story I was sharing was just an example of how you can be exposed to the virus and NEVER get the disease.

I'm sorry your case was so severe but it wasn't the typical presentation. Your mom getting it twice? That's not normal either. Intermittent bouts for 2 years? Wow.

Most people get mono and are down for 1 month or less. Up to 4 months is also normal. Sun's case may fall in that 1-4 month range but it is HIGHLY unlikely that he's sidelined for 2 years with mono. HIGHLY unlikely.

My guess is he'll be ready to play by December at the latest.

#24 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted September 25, 2008 - 08:25 PM

And Mono is known as a disease because it is caused BY a virus...most notably the Epstein-Barr Virus.

EBV causes other things also...that's why INFECTIOUS mononucleosis has it's own name.

I'm pretty sure there is no virus named Infectious Mononucleosis Virus. But, I have been wrong before... :angry:

#25 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted September 26, 2008 - 03:04 AM

We covered mono in med school. My wife is a Nurse Anesthetist. I'm pretty sure what I don't know, she knows.

Mono can be drawn out or mild. That can't be known before hand.

The story I was sharing was just an example of how you can be exposed to the virus and NEVER get the disease.

I'm sorry your case was so severe but it wasn't the typical presentation. Your mom getting it twice? That's not normal either. Intermittent bouts for 2 years? Wow.

Most people get mono and are down for 1 month or less. Up to 4 months is also normal. Sun's case may fall in that 1-4 month range but it is HIGHLY unlikely that he's sidelined for 2 years with mono. HIGHLY unlikely.

My guess is he'll be ready to play by December at the latest.

Nice, so then you must know about it. I think 1-6 months is more likely, and it really could be anywhere in between that period. It's impossible to guess how long it will take.

My case was a year and a half, however, my symptoms weren't really as bad as the average persons problems. I just had a soar throat and a little fatigue. As for my Mum, it was more like she had it once at a young age, and it never really properly cleared.

There's no way Yue will be sidelines for 2 years. But the effects of fatigue could easily last for 2 years.

In fact, there was a period when Roger Federer was playing really poorly and they found out it was because he had Glandular Fever (mono) and it was simply that he was so fatigued.

Your wife will surely tell you that Mono can bring on Chronic fatigue syndrome: http://hcd2.bupa.co...._syndrome2.html

I'm pretty sure there is no virus named Infectious Mononucleosis Virus. But, I have been wrong before...

Meh, it probably is a disease, but I just don't like calling it one. :lol:

Edited by Darth Bynumite, September 26, 2008 - 03:06 AM.

Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#26 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted September 26, 2008 - 03:48 AM

Mono is no fun...but he should survive. Can't predict how it will affect him.

1-4 months of fatigue and he should be back to normal.

I still think he'll be back by December at the latest.

#27 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted September 26, 2008 - 03:51 AM

Mono is no fun...but he should survive. Can't predict how it will affect him.

1-4 months of fatigue and he should be back to normal.

I still think he'll be back by December at the latest.

If he gets over it quickly, December at the latest is likely.

I just really hope it doesn't develop into Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#28 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,709 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 26, 2008 - 04:12 AM

If you were fatigued Darth, let's imagine him playing an NBA game, I hope he recovers, but this is going to be very bad for his PT...
Posted Image

#29 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted September 26, 2008 - 09:50 AM

I wonder how did he get affected...=/

#30 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted September 26, 2008 - 09:53 AM

I know.

I don't care how badly he plays this season, I will excuse it.

Yea... good thing we don't really need him this season. *sigh*

I hope he recovers soon. Must be devastating to start his rookie season with an illness...

#31 We Believe

We Believe

Sixth Man

• 2,805 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Fish.

Posted September 26, 2008 - 10:29 PM

me and my friend were talking about this and from what we have read we hope that he can be back withing a month or so and then start getting back into shape. Hopefully its even shorter and he can be back early season.

2010 NBA CHAMPIONS = LOS ANGELES LAKERS

#32 Perfecto

Perfecto

Im'ma let you finish...

• 787 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 26, 2008 - 11:13 PM

Yue getting Mono. :lol:

Posted Image
"Pass me the damn ball, I don't need a pick at all."

#33 Synergy

Synergy