#1 BertStare

BertStare

Rookie

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE!!!

Posted June 04, 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hello fellow Laker fans. My user-name here BertStare. My real name is Lester. I was born and live in Puerto Rico. Let me tell you my story...

I was born on May 28th, 1986. I was a premature baby, yet I weighted 8.5 lbs., and was normal size. I started to talk complete sentences at 6-7 months. My little brother was born on May 27th, 1987. When I was 2 years old, my brother was walking, but I wasn't. This worried my parents. So they took me to various doctors. One of them suspected I may have one of the types of Muscular Dystrophy. So they did a lab test in which they remove a tiny bit of muscle tissue (I still have the little scar in my arm, but it barely noticeable). They test proved positive and I was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy - Type II (SMA). Because of this I am left in a wheelchair for the rest of my life and have low motor skills (hands tire out easily, I can't reflex fast; this is why I tell some people I may never go pro-level game-play, as I am physically not able).

When I was 5-6 years old, I developed Scoliosis. My spine is at 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees, so my spine looks like > instead of |. Because of this, my spine compresses my lung, and I have 50% lung function and flues, etc. hit me very hard, to the point of needed hospitalization. I can suffocate easily.

I went to normal school one year earlier than usual, and I did always well, too well. On first grade, my parents where offered to make me jump to 3rd grade. They rejected it, because they though that having a handicapped child that was 3 years younger would bring mockery and poking from fellow classmates (a very sad thing, children are cruel).

So I went on normal school until 10th grade. (During those years, I became a gamer [my first video game was a Gameboy /w Tetris], and a partial artist, but my art phase faded away) I was unchallenged at school, I never studied and aced everything (i.e. I took the finals for 10th and 11th grade math in August and was in 12th grade Pre-calculus @ 14). I secretly saved my allowance and paid to take the College Admission Test, something the school didn't allow to 10th graders, but the school counselor backed me up. I got a 3125 score (with the average being in the 2800-2900). I got letters from all local colleges and some from the states (i.e. Penn State). But I was in the 10th grade.

In January of that year, I took the High School Validation test from the Department of Education, a test normally given to dropouts, but they made an exception. Results came in in February and I passed, so I went to school one last day and said good bye to my teachers and never looked back.

In March I started my college life, still at the age of 14. I took all summer classes, and made a Barchelor on Computer Science that takes 4 years, in 2 and half with a 4.00 GPA (As in School, I never studied for tests, it was all memory). I graduated and Summa *** Laude and took my department's Excellence in Studies award. During that time, I took the LSAT (Law School Admission Test). The Board didn't allow me for extra time because of my handicap. I didn't finish any part, what little I did answer was so correct, it was enough to pass.

At the age of 17 I started Law School. At last I was among thinkers, and I felt challenged. I finished Law School at 20, but graduated at 21 (my birthday being May 28th) with honors (*** Laude). I took the Bar Exam and result came December of 07. I sworn as a Lawyer on last February (08) became probably my jurisdiction's youngest lawyer (as Barchelor + Law School = 7+ years and people enter college at 18 or so). On last April I had my first 3 cases and I won them. I've continued my Law cases and until now, won them all.

So there is my story. Thanks for reading.

Edited by BertStare, June 04, 2010 - 02:16 PM.

#2 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted June 04, 2010 - 02:35 PM

Hello fellow Laker fans. My user-name here BertStare. My real name is Lester. I was born and live in Puerto Rico. Let me tell you my story...

I was born on May 28th, 1986. I was a premature baby, yet I weighted 8.5 lbs., and was normal size. I started to talk complete sentences at 6-7 months. My little brother was born on May 27th, 1987. When I was 2 years old, my brother was walking, but I wasn't. This worried my parents. So they took me to various doctors. One of them suspected I may have one of the types of Muscular Dystrophy. So they did a lab test in which they remove a tiny bit of muscle tissue (I still have the little scar in my arm, but it barely noticeable). They test proved positive and I was diagnosed with Spinal Muscular Atrophy - Type II (SMA). Because of this I am left in a wheelchair for the rest of my life and have low motor skills (hands tire out easily, I can't reflex fast; this is why I tell some people I may never go pro-level game-play, as I am physically not able).

When I was 5-6 years old, I developed Scoliosis. My spine is at 90 degrees instead of 180 degrees, so my spine looks like > instead of |. Because of this, my spine compresses my lung, and I have 50% lung function and flues, etc. hit me very hard, to the point of needed hospitalization. I can suffocate easily.

I went to normal school one year earlier than usual, and I did always well, too well. On first grade, my parents where offered to make me jump to 3rd grade. They rejected it, because they though that having a handicapped child that was 3 years younger would bring mockery and poking from fellow classmates (a very sad thing, children are cruel).

So I went on normal school until 10th grade. (During those years, I became a gamer [my first video game was a Gameboy /w Tetris], and a partial artist, but my art phase faded away) I was unchallenged at school, I never studied and aced everything (i.e. I took the finals for 10th and 11th grade math in August and was in 12th grade Pre-calculus @ 14). I secretly saved my allowance and paid to take the College Admission Test, something the school didn't allow to 10th graders, but the school counselor backed me up. I got a 3125 score (with the average being in the 2800-2900). I got letters from all local colleges and some from the states (i.e. Penn State). But I was in the 10th grade.

In January of that year, I took the High School Validation test from the Department of Education, a test normally given to dropouts, but they made an exception. Results came in in February and I passed, so I went to school one last day and said good bye to my teachers and never looked back.

In March I started my college life, still at the age of 14. I took all summer classes, and made a Barchelor on Computer Science that takes 4 years, in 2 and half with a 4.00 GPA (As in School, I never studied for tests, it was all memory). I graduated and Summa *** Laude and took my department's Excellence in Studies award. During that time, I took the LSAT (Law School Admission Test). The Board didn't allow me for extra time because of my handicap. I didn't finish any part, what little I did answer was so correct, it was enough to pass.

At the age of 17 I started Law School. At last I was among thinkers, and I felt challenged. I finished Law School at 20, but graduated at 21 (my birthday being May 28th) with honors (*** Laude). I took the Bar Exam and result came December of 07. I sworn as a Lawyer on last February (08) became probably my jurisdiction's youngest lawyer (as Barchelor + Law School = 7+ years and people enter college at 18 or so). On last April I had my first 3 cases and I won them. I've continued my Law cases and until now, won them all.

So there is my story. Thanks for reading.

WOW man, you left me with no words, the only one that comes to my mind is admiration, congrats brother, and keep it rolling till the end.

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#3 Bynumite17

Bynumite17

Huh?

• 6,327 posts

Posted June 04, 2010 - 03:31 PM

Okay. So wait, how long did it take you to type all that? :huh:

Anyways, good story and best of luck.

Edited by Bynumite17, June 04, 2010 - 03:31 PM.

Posted Image

#4 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 04, 2010 - 03:34 PM

Welcome! Admirable things you've done :rock:

Edited by MDI, June 04, 2010 - 03:34 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#5 GlockFotay

GlockFotay

Don't you wish your boyfriend is as HOT like me?

• 742 posts
  • Fan Since:The GW Forum days.
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted June 08, 2010 - 11:21 AM

Welcome! Go Lakers!!!!

Posted Image

Yes, I need to update this banner...Let's go Lakers!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users