ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,161 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2010 - 03:03 PM

How playing Madden online could cost you $10

If you buy your sports games used and enjoy playing them online for free, EA would like to have a word with you. And that word would be "no." The mega-publisher announced Monday that beginning with the June 8th release of Tiger Woods 11, all future EA Sports games for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will include a one-time, game-specific "Online Pass" code, which grants access to "online services, features and bonus content."

Sounds fine and dandy, but for one catch: while the code comes free with new copies of any EA Sports game, it can only be used once. Buy the game used -- or even just rent it through a service like GameFly -- and you'll be unable to play it online beyond a free seven-day trial period...unless you cough up $10 for an additional Online Pass. "This is an important inflection point in our business because it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhance premium online services to the entire robust EA SPORTS online community," said EA Sports president Peter Moore.

According to the official Online Pass site, online services that will be affected by the feature include "multiplayer online play, group features like online dynasty and leagues, user created content, and bonus downloadable content for your game including, for example, a new driver in Tiger."

The move is part of EA's so-called "Project Ten Dollar" initiative and is considered another attack on the used game market, which many publishers see as a financial black hole. EA has made prior attempts to dissuade the practice, although it remains an affordable solution to gamers looking for a bit of a bargain at the cost of owning new.

Interestingly, leading game retailer GameStop, who enjoy substantial revenue from selling used games, is seemingly supportive of the new program.

"This relationship allows us to capitalize on our investments to market and sell downloadable content online, as well as through our network of stores worldwide," said GameStop CEO Dan DeMatteo.

So is this a smart move by EA, or merely another case of a publisher gouging its customers? Let us know

yahoo.com

#2 KB24

KB24

Off The Bench

• 2,577 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:It's in my blood
  • Fav. Laker:Magic and Kobe

Posted May 20, 2010 - 03:17 PM

Not a smart decision by EA. A lot of people are tired of Madden and only continue to buy the game yearly is because of the new players. Now with Backbreakers (sp?) coming out some people are choosing that over Madden (even though Backbreakers doesn't have an NFL license).
1985 Lakers Championship ring. LA 4 BOS 2.
http://i41.tinypic.com/5v7qdj.jpg

#3 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,161 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 20, 2010 - 03:33 PM

Not a smart decision by EA. A lot of people are tired of Madden and only continue to buy the game yearly is because of the new players. Now with Backbreakers (sp?) coming out some people are choosing that over Madden (even though Backbreakers doesn't have an NFL license).

and it's not just for the madden franchise, also for the tiger woods franchise, and i'm guessing the nba live series will also be affected by this.

i don't own an xbox360 or ps3 at the moment, but i still don't like this move. i don't want other gaming companies trying to replicate the move by EA.

#4 KB24

KB24

Off The Bench

• 2,577 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:It's in my blood
  • Fav. Laker:Magic and Kobe

Posted May 20, 2010 - 04:57 PM

and it's not just for the madden franchise, also for the tiger woods franchise, and i'm guessing the nba live series will also be affected by this.

i don't own an xbox360 or ps3 at the moment, but i still don't like this move. i don't want other gaming companies trying to replicate the move by EA.

Yeah that's true. Golf games aren't my type of games so I wouldn't know if there are golf games for 360/ps3 that could rival EA. I've always been a 2k player over Nba live as well. Sometimes companies get really greedy and this is an example of that. Games themselves are already what $60 or $70 plus tax to buy nowadays? It's ridiculous that they expect people to want to dish out another $10. If I didn't have the money I wouldn't even buy the game, because without online Madden is pretty boring in my opinion.
1985 Lakers Championship ring. LA 4 BOS 2.
http://i41.tinypic.com/5v7qdj.jpg

#5 GP1_KB24

GP1_KB24

Dedication 4.

• 20,198 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Dwight.

Posted May 21, 2010 - 01:36 PM

I'm not suprised. EA has been doing this with a lot of things to get extra money... Like even though you bought the game for SIXTY BUCKS it doesn't give you everything and there are things throughout the game they want you to pay for to make the game better. :nah:

5 Letters... 'YMCMB'

Posted Image

#6 Spooky

Spooky

TLN Daily News

• 2,167 posts
  • Name:Spooky
  • Fan Since:88'

Posted May 29, 2010 - 09:50 AM

Did some of you even read the article? This will only affect you if you buy the game USED and EA isn't the first company to do this. I'm pretty sure you had to pay for the online franchise mode on Madden 10 if you bought it used or pirated it.

This is only going to affect people that buy it used or pirate it. If you buy it new then there's nothing to worry about.
You pay 60 bucks you get the game and you can play online. You don't have to pay 10 dollars more like some people here are assuming.

Edited by HipHopOpotamus, May 29, 2010 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users