Alex G

Rookie

• 15 posts
  • Name:Alex
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted May 06, 2010 - 05:32 PM

http://www.opposingv...ayweather-fight

There is only one thing standing in the way of a Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight: Manny Pacquiao.

Despite all of the posturing and big talk going on from both men, Pacquiao’s ridiculous resistance to Mayweather’s proposed drug testing policies raises a number of red flags.

A few months ago, after a series of dominating match-ups, both men said they needed to face off and determine the world's best pound-for-pound boxer. However, despite both sides seemingly being enthused about the potential for a big fight (and even bigger pay day), the discussions quickly broke off.

The biggest issue preventing the fight was Mayweather's request that Pacquiao submit to Olympic-style drug testing prior to the fight. This particular type of drug testing allows for either blood or urine to be taken all the way up to the eve of the fight.

Pacquiao immediately refused. The Philippine icon demanded testing stop 24 days before the fight. He told reporters that testing close to the fight would weaken him and drain him of energy.

Say what?

In the Olympics, small amounts of blood and urine have been known to be taken as little as a few hours before competition. The testing has never been associated with poor results after-the-fact. In fact, during the Beijing Games, Michael Phelps provided authorities with a drug test on the morning of one of his relays. He subsequently went out and won a gold medal hours later.

Still, Mayweather, who the media for some strange reason have characterized as the “bad guy” in all of this, offered a middle ground. He told the Pacquiao camp that he would be alright with meeting his opponent halfway and only allowing drug testing up until 14 days before the fight.

In an interview with the Philippine Star, Pacquiao had this to say:

“My message to Mayweather, to the world, is simple…I am not the lawmaker when it comes to the rules and regulations of any boxing commission. That is not my job or my duty. Neither is it Mayweather’s unless he forms his own personal commission…I will comply fully with whatever drug test, blood or urine, rules are specified by the commission of the place where this fight is arranged.”

So 14 days prior to the fight was really too little recovery time for Pacquiao? Is the 10 day difference between 14 days and 24 days really all that important to the Philippine champion?

A few days ago, Pacquiao came out and said that he would accept the 14-day request.

In a recent piece, Dan Wetzel also brought up why it is not at all unreasonable for Mayweather to demand this form of drug testing. In fact, 14 days can still be considered a light request. A blood-doping agent such as erythropoietin (EPO), which has the ability to improve a person’s stamina, can be washed out of your system within two to five days.

Despite that, somehow, the media has targeted Mayweather in recent weeks.

He’s ducking Pacquiao. He’s scared of Pacquiao. He’s looking for excuses to avoid the fight.

Wrong.

Mayweather’s undefeated career has spanned over more than a decade. He could go out, lose to Pacquiao tomorrow, collect his enormous paycheck from the fight, and still retire as one of the greatest boxers of all time.

The man that calls himself Pretty Boy Floyd is not scared of Pacquiao. And for the media to try to portray the situation as such is ridiculous.

Mayweather is ready for Pacquiao, and he’s not the roadblock that is preventing this fight from occurring.

Again, there is only one thing standing in the way of a Floyd Mayweather-Manny Pacquiao fight: Manny Pacquiao.

Edited by Alex G, May 06, 2010 - 05:33 PM.

#2 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted May 06, 2010 - 05:37 PM

yep...it amazes me that the american media potrays the american fighter as scared.
If Mayweather were white, or an assimilated Negro( Shane Battier)....his fighting style would be revered for his IQ. But instead he is potrayed as scared to take a punch.
If Manny were asking for a PED test....the media would say Mayweather needs to prove he is clean
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#3 Draztik

Draztik

Illmatic

• 8,164 posts
  • Fan Since:1986 - Birth!
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Gasol, Artest

Posted May 06, 2010 - 07:03 PM

Mayweather is a beast, he's a true technical boxer. He could go for knockouts but can easily out box his opponents.

21lsbya.jpg
Peep my music at my youtube page here: MUSIC!

#4 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted May 06, 2010 - 07:07 PM

^ Why go for knockouts when he has spectacular defense and when he does take risks, he has a weak chin (see Mayweather/Mosley round 2).

#5 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,503 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted May 06, 2010 - 07:32 PM

yep...it amazes me that the american media potrays the american fighter as scared.
If Mayweather were white, or an assimilated Negro( Shane Battier)....his fighting style would be revered for his IQ. But instead he is potrayed as scared to take a punch.
If Manny were asking for a PED test....the media would say Mayweather needs to prove he is clean

did you seriously just say negro? what year is this

Posted Image

#6 Alex.com

Alex.com

Back @ it Like a Crack Addict

• 1,240 posts
  • Name:Alejandro Herrera
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted May 06, 2010 - 07:39 PM

It makes me wonder why Pac Man is scared for stricter testing. Regardless this will be a great fight.

Posted Image

#7 Spooky

Spooky

TLN Daily News

• 2,167 posts
  • Name:Spooky
  • Fan Since:88'

Posted May 06, 2010 - 09:36 PM

WTH? :laughing:

Joke post right?

#8 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,075 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted May 06, 2010 - 09:51 PM

+1 HipHopOpotomus

that post by kobynum, just wow. :facepalm:

:laughing: :laughing:

#9 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,323 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted May 07, 2010 - 09:50 AM

I think Manny & his camp just don't want to feel bullied into any pre-fight requests.

veqdeg.jpg

#10 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 5,999 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted July 23, 2010 - 08:42 PM

http://sports.yahoo....margarito072310

Pacquiao to fight Margarito in November

Manny Pacquiao will fight Antonio Margarito on Nov. 13 for a vacant super welterweight championship, either in Las Vegas if Margarito can get licensed or in Monterrey, Mexico, if he can’t, promoter Bob Arum said.

Posted Image

Manny Pacquiao's fight vs. Antonio Margarito will likely take place in either Las Vegas or Monterrey, Mexico.That ends any possibility of a match between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr., the top two boxers in the world, for 2010.

Edited by TheBigFish, July 23, 2010 - 08:43 PM.

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#11 Guest_Rico Suave_*

Guest_Rico Suave_*

Posted July 23, 2010 - 10:29 PM

SHOCKING!!!

[expletive] man.

#12 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 5,999 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted July 23, 2010 - 10:58 PM

SHOCKING!!!

[expletive] man.

I know Posted Image

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#13 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 24, 2010 - 12:15 PM

[Expletive] Mayweather. [Expletive] Mayweather. [Expletive] Mayweather. [Expletive] Mayweather.

Posted Image

#14 Guest_Rico Suave_*

Guest_Rico Suave_*

Posted July 24, 2010 - 02:30 PM

Why are there so many conflicting reports though? I heard not too long ago Mayweather being the only obstacle, now it's Pacquiao?

#15 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,503 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted July 24, 2010 - 06:44 PM

sigh...another boxing match that i won't care about watching live...

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users