• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Vahan

Vahan

Rookie

• 289 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 20, 2008 - 09:03 PM

Lakers executive Mitch Kupchak claims that the Grizzles where looking to acquire Sun Yue in a trade, according to NBA.com.

"Memphis also wanted Sun in the trade, but we wanted to keep at least one of those two guys so Memphis wanted Marc [Gasol] and we are happy that we were able to keep Sun Yue, because we liked him when we drafted him," Kupchak said.

The Lakers drafted Sun with the fortieth overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft.

Lakers 08-09 Champs

#2 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted September 20, 2008 - 09:10 PM

Lakers executive Mitch Kupchak claims that the Grizzles where looking to acquire Sun Yue in a trade, according to NBA.com.

"Memphis also wanted Sun in the trade, but we wanted to keep at least one of those two guys so Memphis wanted Marc [Gasol] and we are happy that we were able to keep Sun Yue, because we liked him when we drafted him," Kupchak said.

The Lakers drafted Sun with the fortieth overall pick in the 2007 NBA Draft.

Well, Mitch made the right choice. I mean, think about it... we already have a Spaniard on our team, so we'll make our money from Spain through the senior Gasol. But with Sun, we can tap into the giant Chinese market.

What is the point of having TWO Gasols on a team? Who's gonna buy TWO Gasol-Lakers jersies???

I woulda gone with Marc Gasol if I had the choice between the two... easy choice...

#3 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted September 20, 2008 - 09:16 PM

Rudy Gay for Sun Yue.
they'd probably do it.

#4 Klewfish

Klewfish

Reppin' LA on the East Coast

• 1,445 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:Game 4 of 2000 NBA Finals

Posted September 20, 2008 - 09:27 PM

I would have taken Marc Gasol over Yue. Is he really going to get time over Fisher/Farmar/Kobe/Sasha/Crawford and whoever else we may decide to keep? We could use a big body and Marc would already have the chemistry with Pau and is overall a better prospect than Yue.
Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

#5 Jaime Quintanilla

Jaime Quintanilla

SI ME GUSTA!

• 4,323 posts

Posted September 20, 2008 - 10:04 PM

Mitch, I love you!

:yue:

#6 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,500 posts
  • Name:Andy

Posted September 20, 2008 - 10:16 PM

:yue:

#7 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

• 3,271 posts

Posted September 20, 2008 - 10:30 PM

I think Marc would undoubtedly have the most immediate impact for the Lakers. He'd have chemistry right off the bat, that's for sure. I'm afraid Sun's culture barrier might hold him back and hurt all of the hype he's getting. Marc has Pau, plus he played high school ball in Memphis, so he's been around the American culture for quite some time.

#8 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted September 21, 2008 - 02:37 AM

Well, Mitch made the right choice. I mean, think about it... we already have a Spaniard on our team, so we'll make our money from Spain through the senior Gasol. But with Sun, we can tap into the giant Chinese market.

What is the point of having TWO Gasols on a team? Who's gonna buy TWO Gasol-Lakers jersies???

I woulda gone with Marc Gasol if I had the choice between the two... easy choice...

Kobe already has the Chinese market on lock.

#9 Synergy

Synergy

The Only Suns Fan On TLN

• 1,027 posts

Posted September 21, 2008 - 03:51 AM

I would :D
Posted Image

#10 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,598 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 21, 2008 - 04:59 AM

Marc would probably have M Gasol if he came to the Lakers. But I think we are fine right now. Marc needs NBA experience.

Edited by netlord, September 21, 2008 - 05:00 AM.

Posted Image

#11 Louizzle

Louizzle

L.A. All Day

• 945 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Derek Fisher

Posted September 21, 2008 - 10:30 AM

Realistically Marc would of been a way better fit for us considering our guards and SF's are stacked and we are in dire need of a really good backup center. Not to mention that Pau could guide his brother through the offense and imagine them both being out there at the same time like in the Olympics.

If Sun was given up rather then Marc, it would of been a flawless trade.

Made By Vaporize

#12 mikedeezy2k8

mikedeezy2k8

24/7

• 271 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted September 21, 2008 - 10:44 AM

honestly.. i woulda gave up kwame farmar and yue if it meant we could keep gasol and critt.i think coby karl will be a great point gaurd for us at some point.

#13 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted September 21, 2008 - 01:55 PM

honestly.. i woulda gave up kwame farmar and yue if it meant we could keep gasol and critt.i think coby karl will be a great point gaurd for us at some point.

Crittenton was over hyped. Farmar is really a very improving young talent in the league and his second year numbers showed it.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#14 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted September 21, 2008 - 03:26 PM

I'm so glad we kept Sun Yue. :rock: http://lakernation.c...tyle_emoticons/default/cool.gif

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#15 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

• 3,271 posts

Posted September 21, 2008 - 03:46 PM

remember when j-critt posted 19?
doubt sun has that in him this season.

#16 JeffA

JeffA

Rookie

• Pip
  • 11 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Cooper, Kobe, Bynum

Posted September 23, 2008 - 11:33 AM

Has Sun Yue been in LA yet? The training camp is next week and there is nothing in the news about his arrival in LA. Is he having visa problems?

#17 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted September 23, 2008 - 11:36 AM

I would have taken Marc Gasol over Yue. Is he really going to get time over Fisher/Farmar/Kobe/Sasha/Crawford and whoever else we may decide to keep? We could use a big body and Marc would already have the chemistry with Pau and is overall a better prospect than Yue.

I definitely agree. However, I think Marc Gasol could be available sometime soon. After the way the Gizzles treated Pau, do you really think Marc is going to want to stay there? I get the feeling that we will be getting Marc Gasol back sometime soon.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#18 hype

hype

says hi!

• 3,739 posts

Posted September 23, 2008 - 02:06 PM

Coby Karl will never be a great PG, he was barely a mediocre SG for us.

#19 LoLo

LoLo

Rookie

• 1,366 posts

Posted September 23, 2008 - 02:36 PM

Coby Karl will never be a great PG...

Real as life itself...

#20 gcclaker

gcclaker

I Bleed Purple And Gold!

• 750 posts
  • Fan Since:The Glory Days of Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Michael Cooper DPOY 1987

Posted September 24, 2008 - 10:08 AM

Totally agree... Mobile bigs with good shooting touch don't fall out of the sky. I think Marc Gasol has nice potential. Yue plays a position overcrowded with prospects that are a dime a dozen. Maybe, just maybe, the younger Gasol just might end up in the p&g after a few seasons in Memphis.
Five guys on the court working together can achieve more than five talented individuals who come and go as individuals.
-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users