Photo

Daily News ask: Could this be Kobe's last year with the Lakers????

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Vahan

Vahan

Rookie

• 289 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 20, 2008 - 08:57 PM

Quote:

DILBECK: Kobe could be a trail blazer -- of the international kind -- and could say goodbye to L.A.

The last year of Kobe Bryant as a Laker.

Don't think it will happen? Maybe not, probably not.

But it absolutely could.

In 10 days the Lakers will gather at their training facility for their annual media day. Kobe's done these camp- opening inter- views and photo shoots now for 12 years. Professionally never been anything but a Laker.

Only next year he could be somewhere else. Like in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower or Big Ben or that other Colosseum.

Kobe can opt out of his contract at the end of the season. Can become a complete free agent. Place bets he will.

. . .Kobe is a perfect candidate to flee the NBA for Europe. Both in international stature and personal makeup. Both because of his European background and the economic sense.

"I think there is a great possibility, if for no other reason than he will make his value worth much more than anyone can imagine," said Sonny Vaccaro, the basketball guru. "For the first time, they'll actually be in competition."

. . . "Some of the owners in Europe have more money than the majority of owners in the NBA," he said. "It's a small number, but it's a fact. They're billionaires.

"The trouble with America is we think they're penny-ante. They're not. These individuals are very wealthy. They can do this."

As Vaccaro points out, it's in their best interest to try, if only for the publicity it generated.

And in Kobe's best financial interest to listen.

"A trailblazer? My, god, this is Kobe Bryant. It's not Brandon Jennings. It's not Josh Childress," Vaccaro said.

"This is Kobe Bryant. He's been acclaimed the greatest living player. His testament to basketball has been written. No one can deny him his greatness.

"I totally believe he will take it to the wall."

The Lakers, or any other team, are restricted as to how much they can offer. Maybe some side deal is arranged for team ownership, a la Magic Johnson and Jordan.

But they best understand there is now a new player in town. If not, this could be Kobe's last year in this one.

http://www.dailynews...urce=rss_viewed

Lakers 08-09 Champs

#2 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 20, 2008 - 09:00 PM

The press has to have some controversy around Kobe.

Its pitiful how the sports press has become nothing more than a group of infantile gossip mongers for the most part.

Kobe isn't going anywhere.

#3 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted September 20, 2008 - 09:12 PM

The press has to have some controversy around Kobe.

Its pitiful how the sports press has become nothing more than a group of infantile gossip mongers for the most part.

Kobe isn't going anywhere.

Any year could be Kobe's last. At any moment now he might get hit by a car and die.

In fact, today might be my or your last day too. Is it likely? No. But it's possible.

Kobe's not going overseas during the prime of his career. These guys just want more hoopla around this Euro deal... attention and interest = $$$

Edited by Beethovenite, September 20, 2008 - 09:13 PM.

#4 We Believe

We Believe

Sixth Man

• 2,805 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Fish.

Posted September 20, 2008 - 09:15 PM

i doubt kobe will ever leave the Lakers.

2010 NBA CHAMPIONS = LOS ANGELES LAKERS

#5 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted September 20, 2008 - 09:29 PM

You got the worst SIM TEAM

:)

#6 We Believe

We Believe

Sixth Man

• 2,805 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Fish.

Posted September 20, 2008 - 10:01 PM

You got the worst SIM TEAM

:)

man shutp i traded allen, i traded perkins, i traded powe, im going to trade KG right now and Pierce is also heading out the door so no celtic starters are left except Rondo.

2010 NBA CHAMPIONS = LOS ANGELES LAKERS

#7 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,723 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 21, 2008 - 12:06 PM

Kobe isn't going anywhere, at least for 3 more championships.
Posted Image

#8 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted September 21, 2008 - 01:28 PM

nothing will surprise me with kobe.
i'm not going to lie to myself and say "oh he'll be here forever." based on the stuff he's said recently, WE KNOW he's going to want to go where the money is. if that isn't LA, then the nation's going to have to move on. hopefully he's gotten to a point in his career where loyalty plays a certain role, but something tells me that's not the case.

#9 allen

allen

Rookie

• 10 posts
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 21, 2008 - 07:51 PM

no one knows what will happen tomorrow.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users