Photo

Looking to build a Fiber Optic Home Network...any advice?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 30, 2010 - 04:29 PM

My wife and I are looking to build a home theater (projector system, screen, surround sound, the works) in the FROG (Famliy Room over the Garage). We have a 3-car garage attached so it's a decent amount of space. We also are looking to add our digital movie/TV show/Music/et cetera collections to the home network so they can be shared by all of the TVs in our home. We have some ethernet and wireless network connections/framework but I was reading up on the benefits of fiber optics and how that technology is pretty much the future of broadband internet/TV/everything. We're stuck outside of Verizon's Fios network so that's not an option.

Ultimately, our goal is to have hard drives directly connected to an ethernet hub/switch that converts the signal to light that's carried over the fiber optic backbone to a ethernet converter/switch at the destination.

My questions are:

1. Is it possible to wire my home with fiber optic backbone and ethernet converters at the TV?
2. Would we be able to share all of our data without setting up separate connections for each?
3. Is it cost effective over the regular Cat5 / Cat6 backbone?
4. Does anyone know the basics? (of course, I won't be performing the installation myself but I'd like to know what I'm getting into).
5. Is there a switch/controller with a good GUI that will make navigation of the Network-Attached Storage painless or (preferably) easy and enjoyable? Or will I have to rely on connections to internet-accessible Blu-ray/DVD players forever?

Thanks in advance for any help/comments.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users