Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 03, 2010 - 06:48 PM

Exclusive: Conversation with Steve Jobs on the iPhone 4 antenna problems

Posted Image

One of our readers has a pretty interesting story to share. It is one that involves his passion for Apple products, an Apple engineer, Steve Jobs, and reported problems with the iPhone 4’s antenna placement. Let’s call the person talking to Apple and Steve Jobs “Tom”… Tom recorded a video which he posted on YouTube. That video demonstrated the iPhone 4’s now well known issue of signal degration when being held mostly on the left lower side of the phone. Apparently, Apple noticed the video, and reached out directly to Tom. While talking with Apple, Tom was informed that Apple doesn’t consider this an issue, and that anything online is just “rumor hysteria”. Apple also asked Tom not to post further videos.
Tom followed up by emailing the Apple engineer and Steve Jobs directly. Below is the email thread broken down. We have verified the email headers and information, and believe this exchange to be 100% legitimate.

Updated…
First email:

[Apple engineer name redacted],
When we spoke, you would not tell me that there is a fix for this phone?
A friend just sent me this: http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/06/29/leaked-apples-internal-iphone-4-antenna-troubleshooting-procedures/
I assume there is no fix then. If this is legit, I have lost all respect for apple and just want to go back to Verizon and get a nice Android phone. And don’t tell me they have the same issues, all our co-workers with Androids are just mocking us right now…. “Hey, I am going to go in the basement and continue my call. You can use my office on the 2nd floor so you can get a signal”. You are going to kill your brand over one product. Apple is coming off arrogant and rude. If there is no fix just tell people so they can return their phones. We have work to do. I have bought just about every apple product made in the last 20 years  and this is the 1st time I am ashamed to be a MAC fan.
This is just  sickening,
[Tom]

Here is Steve Jobs’ reply:
No, you are getting all worked up over a few days of rumors.  Calm down.

Our reader again:
Stop with jackass comments. I have has every iphone made. They all had a bad signal but this is the so much worse X3. The whole country is is in a “low signal strength” in reality… all but apple campus and your house it seems? AT&T maps are a joke. I am in “excellent” to “good” coverage and on my iPhone 1, Iphone 3G, and my iPhone 3Gs, I could  at least make a telephone call. After all, it is a phone. Iphone 4…. 5 bars….. touch the phone… ZERO bars call drops.
Steve. IT DOES NOT WORK! Geezzz I hope this this is not really you. Are we on a different MHz? I have yet to see an iPhone [4] work in Richmond when you hold it in your hand. It is not “isolated”. I was a big fan. But I am done.

Steve responds once again:
You may be working from bad data. Not your fault. Stay tuned. We are working on it.
Sent from my iPhone

And lastly, Tom emails in again:
Retire, relax, enjoy your family. It is just a phone. Not worth it.

What are your thoughts on this one? Is Tom in the right? Did he get a little too aggressive with his emails? Do you believe Steve Jobs when he says Apple is actively working on it?
UPDATE: The last line in the email exchange was actually not said by Mr. Jobs; rather it was by “Tom.” We corrected it as soon as we were made aware.
UPDATE 2: Added email header information and full exchange..

Posted Image

#83 vong

vong

Sixth Man

• 3,160 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Goku

Posted July 04, 2010 - 05:48 AM

iFail 4

lol, wats wrong? your mom didnt pack your cookie in your lunch box today? every time i see you post something it is always something negative bro.

also, beginning to think.. your name stands for...

DousheBag. and your number signifies the rank of douschie-ness that you are. you are ranked 30. not bad...

Edited by vong, July 04, 2010 - 06:08 AM.

L7zqGhJ.png

alumni

#84 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 07, 2010 - 09:58 AM

iPhone 4 software update will not address poor reception

Update will only adjust the signal meter

As many iPhone 4 owners wait for a software update to address the handset's antenna reception issues, AppleCare staff have reportedly informed customers that the release will not provide a comprehensive fix for the antenna problem. As promised, the software revision will only modify the method for calculating signal bars in the iOS interface.

The AppleCare admission corroborates earlier reports suggesting the update will only provide a cosmetic change, rather than an increase in actual signal strength. Although the update is claimed to bring a more accurate system for representing reception, it is not expected to affect data speeds or voice calls.

Customers are still urged to hold the phone in a way that avoids contact with the black band on the bottom left corner of the frame. Using a case is also said to minimize signal attenuation, regardless of the preferred grip.

A leaked document suggests Apple is prohibiting its support staff from giving out free cases to frustrated customers, however the company has dropped its 10 percent restocking fee for the new device. Several law firms have initiated class-action lawsuits over the problem, each accusing the company of misconduct for releasing a defective product without fully resolving the problem. [via Gizmodo]

Read more: http://www.macnn.com.../#ixzz0t1KiqxrQ

http://www.macnn.com/articles/10/07/06/update.will.only.adjust.the.signal.meter/

Posted Image

#85 Spooky

Spooky

TLN Daily News

• 2,167 posts
  • Name:Spooky
  • Fan Since:88'

Posted July 12, 2010 - 11:35 AM

Consumer Reports: Skip iPhone 4
Wall Street Journal
By NIRAJ SHETH

Consumer Reports magazine said Monday it can't recommend the iPhone 4 to shoppers because of persistent reception issues caused by touching the Apple Inc. phone.

The products-review magazine, on its website, also questioned Apple's explanation for the glitch, saying it tested other smartphones in its labs, including the older iPhone 3GS, and "none of those phones had the signal-loss problems of the iPhone 4."

"Our findings call into question the recent claim by Apple that the iPhone 4's signal-strength issues were largely an optical illusion caused by faulty software that 'mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength.' Consumer Reports said.

Apple wasn't immediately available to comment.

The comments by Consumer Reports add to a pile of complaints about the iPhone 4's ability to handle voice calls. Consumer Reports said it tested three iPhone 4s and found that touching a spot on the left side of the phone can cause reception to "significantly degrade enough to cause you to lose your connection altogether if you're in an area with a weak signal."

"Due to this problem, we can't recommend the iPhone 4," the magazine said in a statement. The conclusion was an about-face for Consumer Reports, which said in a July 2 blog post that the iPhone issues weren't yet a reason to forgo buying the device.

The publication also took some of the heat away from AT&T Inc.'s network, which has been criticized for not being able to adequately handle the load of data-guzzling iPhones. "The tests also indicate that AT&T's network might not be the primary suspect in the iPhone 4's much-reported signal woes," Consumer Reports said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704288204575363011516770540.html

#86 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,339 posts

Posted July 18, 2010 - 03:16 PM

I have an iPhone 4, and absolutely love it. To be honest, reception has been fine, except when I talk iphone to iphone with my dad, who has the same phone (I've gotten dropped calls that way). Other than that (i.e. friends with other phones, business establishments, etc.), everything's good. Facetime is revolutionary. The thing that I don't like is that ATT did away with the unlimited data, and charges monthly for tethering.

Edited by leor_77, July 18, 2010 - 03:17 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users