Photo

Breaking Bad

• Please log in to reply
1561 replies to this topic

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 26, 2013 - 10:37 PM

For as much as Jesse's grown, he's still just an emotional unloved kid at heart.

yo.

#842 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,951 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted August 27, 2013 - 08:24 AM

Everyone is different and I certainly see what your saying about Jesse. I just dont agree with the way he handles things.

I agree that everyone is different, which is equally why I enjoy the show, there are people in real life that are just like Walt. Those are the sorts of people I would not be interested in being friends with in real life. They seem civilized toward you, but in the actuality of everything, you are merely a piece to their puzzle. It reminds me of when someone asks me four different questions before they get to their fifth question, which asks of a really big favor... the four questions before the fifth were setting the person up for that question, building around my responses accordingly to their agenda. I would have much preferred if the first question was about the favor and would likely be obliged to help. I don't like that [expletive].

I see that is how Jesse feels towards Walt. We have seen this a few episodes now, especially in the most recent one, where he said, "just tell me the truth. Stop jerking me around. If you want me to leave town, just tell me you need this."

We can see that money does not equal happiness from multiple perspectives within Breaking Bad, not just from Jesse's.

Take it from Skyler: ever since she sided with Walt, her character has obviously been conflicted. She looks like a straight up zombie when she is sitting in the car wash laundering money. If you compare the current Skyler to the Skyler we knew before she was a part of the drug operation, you will see that she is definitely not happy, despite being loaded with money.

Take it from Walt Jr.: he has been spoiled with nice things that his parents could otherwise not afford, like a new car. I don't see the added luxuries making Walt Jr. the happiest teenager. He's been "acting weird" and is pretty miserable knowing his dad has cancer.

And one of the biggest things to Walt IS money, even over relationships. We know that Walt sold his shares in his company for a low sum, which later turned out to be worth a lot of money. That whole issue has been plaguing Walt for the entire series. It is moreso an issue of respect and recognition, as it is being rich. That was his hard work, his genius.

Who was the one who was initially against violence? Walt. Now, he is ready to kill his best friends in cold blood to save his own life that only has months left to live. What fuels Walt is his ego, not the money. Sure, greed is a large contributing factor, but to Walt, it is much more than that, and to me, it is apparent.

I would hope to never be in such a position where I would need to be so selfless just to survive. That is why I never committed suicide during my deepest and darkest of days... I only cared about how other people would feel, not how I felt. I think Love is of greater value than any check could write. Money is a great motivator, but it shouldn't be the sole focus in life. When it is, you begin making unneeded compromises to meet your goal. Some people forget that it is also not the only asset in a true open/free market. What your hobby yields could be just as much of an asset used to acquire goods and services as any fiat currency.

Edited by -Wade-, August 27, 2013 - 08:33 AM.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#843 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,951 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted August 27, 2013 - 08:38 AM

Edit: Just a show though...I'm over-thinking it lol

Non-sense. ;) Shows are the visual form of books, which are meant to get you thinking.

The Matrix? All it is is a re-hash of the classic "Allegory of the Cave." We could probably philosophize over that for pages and pages. There is no such thing as over-thinking, at least, to me. Films that make me think after I am done watching them have done their job! :)

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 09:46 AM

Nice.

yo.

#845 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,520 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted August 27, 2013 - 10:47 AM

No wonder Jesse's miserable! He's young, rich, but sits on his as hanging with Badger & Skinny Pete, getting high & thinking too much. He's no longer cooking so why the F is he still in NM not doing ish? I'd be in the wind living it up elsewhere. 

Edited by MAMBA24ILL, August 27, 2013 - 10:48 AM.

2hf753r.jpg

#846 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,879 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 27, 2013 - 10:50 AM

I agree that everyone is different, which is equally why I enjoy the show, there are people in real life that are just like Walt. Those are the sorts of people I would not be interested in being friends with in real life. They seem civilized toward you, but in the actuality of everything, you are merely a piece to their puzzle. It reminds me of when someone asks me four different questions before they get to their fifth question, which asks of a really big favor... the four questions before the fifth were setting the person up for that question, building around my responses accordingly to their agenda. I would have much preferred if the first question was about the favor and would likely be obliged to help. I don't like that [expletive].

I see that is how Jesse feels towards Walt. We have seen this a few episodes now, especially in the most recent one, where he said, "just tell me the truth. Stop jerking me around. If you want me to leave town, just tell me you need this."

We can see that money does not equal happiness from multiple perspectives within Breaking Bad, not just from Jesse's.

Take it from Skyler: ever since she sided with Walt, her character has obviously been conflicted. She looks like a straight up zombie when she is sitting in the car wash laundering money. If you compare the current Skyler to the Skyler we knew before she was a part of the drug operation, you will see that she is definitely not happy, despite being loaded with money.

Take it from Walt Jr.: he has been spoiled with nice things that his parents could otherwise not afford, like a new car. I don't see the added luxuries making Walt Jr. the happiest teenager. He's been "acting weird" and is pretty miserable knowing his dad has cancer.

And one of the biggest things to Walt IS money, even over relationships. We know that Walt sold his shares in his company for a low sum, which later turned out to be worth a lot of money. That whole issue has been plaguing Walt for the entire series. It is moreso an issue of respect and recognition, as it is being rich. That was his hard work, his genius.

Who was the one who was initially against violence? Walt. Now, he is ready to kill his best friends in cold blood to save his own life that only has months left to live. What fuels Walt is his ego, not the money. Sure, greed is a large contributing factor, but to Walt, it is much more than that, and to me, it is apparent.

I would hope to never be in such a position where I would need to be so selfless just to survive. That is why I never committed suicide during my deepest and darkest of days... I only cared about how other people would feel, not how I felt. I think Love is of greater value than any check could write. Money is a great motivator, but it shouldn't be the sole focus in life. When it is, you begin making unneeded compromises to meet your goal. Some people forget that it is also not the only asset in a true open/free market. What your hobby yields could be just as much of an asset used to acquire goods and services as any fiat currency.

See this is where I think our thoughts on Walt differ. His motivation is his family and while he might of never wanted to start killing he did so in the best interest for them. That is why I think Walt can live with what he has done because he sees it as a means to an end, he has motivation to do this for his family. Jesse on the other hand has done these things out of pure greed. Because of this Jesse feels hollow and when he looks back at everything he questions if it was really worth it, thus making his self esteem go done and spiraling out into a deep depression. Greed is what clearly motivated Jesse, Walt has gotten greedy at times as well, but never for himself he did so because he wanted to leave the most money possible to his family.

Walt has manipulated Jesse over and over again, but for a reason, his family. Lets not forget before they started cooking meth together they had no connection at all other then Walt teaching Jesse in High School. So while he often manipulates Jesse someone who's bond is relatively new and weak compared to his family it is easy to see why Walt does this. It isn't as Jesse is his best friend since they were kids and he stabs in his back, he is clearly just a pawn in his game to help him leave his family better off. This is again is a reason why I dont hate Walt. I see him as a guy that is doing everything in his power to help his family. While some might not agree with his means I believe what he is trying to do is one of the most noble things a man can do for his family, provide a better life for them. Obviously the show wont be about a hard working man that breaks his back at a 9-5 for 35 years making a lousy pay to support his family. Walt is a drug king pin that has done it for his family, what is the most expensive thing he brought from himself? A Chrysler 300? That isnt even a very expensive car.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, August 27, 2013 - 10:51 AM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#847 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,520 posts

Posted August 27, 2013 - 11:00 AM

^ Don't forget there was a point where Walt wanted to be the biggest dealer with the best meth. The Empire business as he called it. 

2hf753r.jpg

#848 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,879 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 27, 2013 - 03:13 PM

^ Don't forget there was a point where Walt wanted to be the biggest dealer with the best meth. The Empire business as he called it. 

Yes I said Walt got greedy, but still with the reason behind that being to make a lot more money to leave his family. Although he did sort of like the power he could gain from that. Never claimed to agree with everything he has done.

Edited by PhillyLaker24, August 27, 2013 - 03:13 PM.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#849 Busty Bluth

Busty Bluth

--Hey Brother!--

• 21,839 posts
  • Name:Byron "Buster AKA Busty" Bluth

Posted August 27, 2013 - 09:01 PM

It remains to be seen if Walt really "helped" his family.

Buster_bcfa40_2218659_zpsbf0d8a7a.gif

#850 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,520 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 08:53 AM

Yes I said Walt got greedy, but still with the reason behind that being to make a lot more money to leave his family. Although he did sort of like the power he could gain from that. Never claimed to agree with everything he has done.

Yep, at times it was all for his family. Next thing you know, he's talking reckless....

nfhhrOz.jpg

2hf753r.jpg

#851 Marc Maron

Marc Maron

either/or

• 3,215 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 10:03 AM

pAv56i1.jpg

Edited by Marc Maron, August 28, 2013 - 10:05 AM.

hR3rI.png

#852 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,520 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 10:28 AM

^  People are really having fun with that whole, Hank  & Marie watching a video clip. 

2hf753r.jpg

#853 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,571 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted August 28, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Don't know if its posted but this explains the whole cigs thing :blowup:

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 28, 2013 - 01:34 PM

Awesome! Just noticed it's pinned. Kudos to whichever mod did that.

pAv56i1.jpg

_http://www.youtube.c...eature=youtu.be

Another win for the internet and looks like Walt Jr's finally enjoying something other than breakfast.

Edited by    , August 28, 2013 - 03:47 PM.

yo.

#855 DTIII™

DTIII™

Inglewood's Finest.

• 3,224 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Swaggy P, J-Chill, K-Butta

Posted August 29, 2013 - 06:02 PM

tumblr_mlqp18L9R41rqeo4xo1_500.jpg

EyMlHkX.jpg

#856 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,239 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted August 29, 2013 - 06:48 PM

Yep, at times it was all for his family. Next thing you know, he's talking reckless....

nfhhrOz.jpg

One of the best lines in tv/movies. 

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 06:51 PM

^

yo.

#858 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,520 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 11:38 AM

^ Ok, now that sucked.  :turrible:

2hf753r.jpg

#859 soldier4death

soldier4death

Makaveli Trained GS

• 910 posts
  • Name:Ruben
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Me

Posted August 30, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Don't know if its posted but this explains the whole cigs thing :blowup:

When Jesse started tripping out I thought I missed something in the episode. These writers are freakin geniuses.

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 30, 2013 - 02:35 PM

Ok, now that sucked. 

Guess you and I are in the minority according to YouTube's likes & dislikes system.

yo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)