• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted March 11, 2010 - 10:14 AM

Main reason fewer blacks playing baseball bec. not as fun, harder to master, long road to majors. THunter drafted at 18, no starter till 24.

http://twitter.com/RealSkipBayless/status/10332896370

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,122 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted March 11, 2010 - 10:22 AM

he is a douche

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#3 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 10:40 AM

Everyone's a Little bit Racist

[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#4 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted March 11, 2010 - 11:05 AM

idiot

Pau Gasol is GONE

#5 nanizm

nanizm

Rookie

• 69 posts
  • Fan Since:1987

Posted March 11, 2010 - 12:06 PM

Was that his quote? Why is that raciest? Its true for any young person regardless of race. It is harder to get a game together, takes longer to get to the show and make big money, its not as exciting as other sports, takes longer to learn and it is very boring.

#6 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 12:08 PM

He said harder to master

Pau Gasol is GONE

#7 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,731 posts
  • Name:Ahmed
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted March 11, 2010 - 12:22 PM

People still take Skip Bayless seriously? [expletive], do people take anyone on ESPN seriously!?

#8 nanizm

nanizm

Rookie

• 69 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 12:23 PM

He said harder to master

...and from that you get what exactly? that he is saying that blacks are dumber and cant pick up the complexity of the game? I understand it as him implying that it is a harder game to learn and that many young people dont want to take the time needed to master it. That is true for ALL young people but they are focusing on blacks due to Tori comments.
If you look for racism you'll always find it.

#9 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 12:27 PM

...and from that you get what exactly? that he is saying that blacks are dumber and cant pick up the complexity of the game? I understand it as him implying that it is a harder game to learn and that many young people dont want to take the time needed to master it. That is true for ALL young people but they are focusing on blacks due to Tori comments.

Let me requote...

Main reason fewer blacks playing baseball bec. not as fun, harder to master

As if because the game is "harder to master"...fewer blacks play. That's exactly what he's stated. You can't flip it any other way...it's right there.

He didn't imply anything...he STATED that the reason fewer blacks play is because its harder to master.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#10 ab4sure

ab4sure

All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,422 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 12:36 PM

+1
that is the non cynical way to look at it. I think if people have problems with what he said they should wait until he explains himself, but then in this PC gotcha world of the internet we live in that would be kind of boring.

Sometimes what people say comes across to others different than what they meant.
[color="#DDA0DD"]•"Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We."

•"The ideal way to win a championship is step by step."

PHIL JACKSON
[/color][color="#DDA0DD"][/color]

#11 nanizm

nanizm

Rookie

• 69 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 01:08 PM

Let me requote...

Main reason fewer blacks playing baseball bec. not as fun, harder to master

As if because the game is "harder to master"...fewer blacks play. That's exactly what he's stated. You can't flip it any other way...it's right there.

He didn't imply anything...he STATED that the reason fewer blacks play is because its harder to master.

The game is harder to master than say Basketball or Football where physical gifts can carry you...baseball needs more than just physical gifts.
Again, he is focusing on black athletes but that reason is for all young people in the US. Its a legit and valid response that is not raciest.

#12 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 01:28 PM

The game is harder to master than say Basketball or Football where physical gifts can carry you...baseball needs more than just physical gifts.
Again, he is focusing on black athletes but that reason is for all young people in the US. Its a legit and valid response that is not raciest.

And black people don't have more than physical gifts??? You need more than physical gifts to excel in basketball, football, or baseball. Football and basketball take just as much mental preparation as baseball...if not more. It could just be that baseball is boring.

Bottom line is that Skip said what he said...it was one idiotic statement among many idiotic statements that Skip Bayless has made.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#13 nanizm

nanizm

Rookie

• 69 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 01:37 PM

And black people don't have more than physical gifts??? You need more than physical gifts to excel in basketball, football, or baseball. Football and basketball take just as much mental preparation as baseball...if not more. It could just be that baseball is boring.

Bottom line is that Skip said what he said...it was one idiotic statement among many idiotic statements that Skip Bayless has made.

His response as i read it in this thread is a valid response to the reason why there are less black athletes in the MLB.
I dont believe it was idiotic and the reaction is more about people LOOKING for something that is raciest.
In your last comment you can see how you are LOOKING to find racism in anything. This is how many people out there are wired.

#14 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 01:43 PM

His response as i read it in this thread is a valid response to the reason why there are less black athletes in the MLB.
I dont believe it was idiotic and the reaction is more about people LOOKING for something that is raciest.
In your last comment you can see how you are LOOKING to find racism in anything. This is how many people out there are wired.

This is simple English dude.

BLACK PEOPLE DON'T PLAY BASEBALL BECAUSE IT'S TOO DIFFICULT TO MASTER.

That's not injecting inferences into a statement.

You said it yourself: Baseball requires more than physical gifts. No :censored:

You're saying that black people can only excel in a medium in which only physical prowess in a necessity. That's wrong.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#15 nanizm

nanizm

Rookie

• 69 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 02:22 PM

This is simple English dude.

BLACK PEOPLE DON'T PLAY BASEBALL BECAUSE IT'S TOO DIFFICULT TO MASTER.

That's not injecting inferences into a statement.

You said it yourself: Baseball requires more than physical gifts. No :censored:

You're saying that black people can only excel in a medium in which only physical prowess in a necessity. That's wrong.

What is wrong with you?
How am i saying that black people can only excel in something that only requires great physical ability? My statement never states ANY of that.

In basketball and some positions in football you need to have the best possible athletes and only those with great athletic ability can succeed.
In basketball and those positions in football like DB, LB, WR and RB what race hold the majority of those positions? Black athletes.
Those 2 sports are the most popular sports in the US.
Baseball is slower and takes longer to excel in than B-Ball and Football. You could have great physical gifts like Jordan or Lebron and still not be successful at baseball if you cant hit a ball at a 30 percent clip.

Knowing that above, when someone says that SOMEONE/ANYONE doesnt play baseball because it is harder to master it is a legitimate and valid response.
It doesnt state that they CANT master it, or other groups CAN master it is only stating what is obvious to everybody else.

Is Baseball difficult to master? Yes
Is that a reason someone might choose other sports over Baseball? Yes
Does it mean that if someone doesnt choose basebal for that reason that they cant excel or master baseball? No.

Stop looking for racism.

Edited by nanizm, March 11, 2010 - 02:24 PM.

#16 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 03:01 PM

What is wrong with you?
How am i saying that black people can only excel in something that only requires great physical ability? My statement never states ANY of that.

In basketball and some positions in football you need to have the best possible athletes and only those with great athletic ability can succeed.
In basketball and those positions in football like DB, LB, WR and RB what race hold the majority of those positions? Black athletes.
Those 2 sports are the most popular sports in the US.
Baseball is slower and takes longer to excel in than B-Ball and Football. You could have great physical gifts like Jordan or Lebron and still not be successful at baseball if you cant hit a ball at a 30 percent clip.

Knowing that above, when someone says that SOMEONE/ANYONE doesnt play baseball because it is harder to master it is a legitimate and valid response.
It doesnt state that they CANT master it, or other groups CAN master it is only stating what is obvious to everybody else.

Is Baseball difficult to master? Yes
Is that a reason someone might choose other sports over Baseball? Yes
Does it mean that if someone doesnt choose basebal for that reason that they cant excel or master baseball? No.

Stop looking for racism.

You're overcomplicating things. Take what Skip Bayless said and read it word for word...it's really that simple.

I'm not gonna quote what he said again. You can read yourself...and it doesn't take but a tiny amount of understanding.

Baseball isn't any harder to master for a black person than it is for a white person. What Skip Bayless said was a 110% incorrect.

Football is wayyyyy more complicated than baseball. You try lining up on the other side of Peyton Manning as a MLB and get your defense in the right positions...call the right audibles and etc.

Black people have more than physical gifts so there was no basis for what Skip Bayless or you said.

You said baseball requires more than physical gifts...AGAIN...SO DOES EVERY OTHER SPORT. Your statement was irrelevant.

It wasn't a legitimate response because he said BLACK PEOPLE.

Stop claiming things that aren't true. I never called Skip Bayless a racist. The topic starter did; and how the topic starter feels about Skip Bayless is his business. I think what Skip said is BORDERLINE racist but more ignorance than anything.

Edited by Windu, March 11, 2010 - 03:03 PM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#17 nanizm

nanizm

Rookie

• 69 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 03:22 PM

I wont pursue this further. but i never said baseball is more complicated. What I stated is that it's harder to excel in than other sports.
It takes longer to reach the pro level and isnt as obvious to spot the gift like in football or basketball where the physical gifs will stand out as early as the teen years and are extremely important in those sports.
Remember Billy Ashley? Great High School baseball player, GREAT minor league player. Had all the physical gifts that you would see in a power hitting baseball player.
He could never make it in the MLB. He spent all of his young life and early 30s trying to break through but never reached the top level.
Baseball is harder to master in that aspect and that is what Skip meant. Not that you need to be more intelligent.

#18 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 03:28 PM

If it's your opinion that baseball is harder to master than football or basketball...thats YOUR opinion. But don't inject race into it by saying BLACKS can't blah blah blah.

Some of the greatest baseball players of all time are black...some are white. Has nothing to do with race so Skip and you have no basis to say anything of that nature.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#19 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,534 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 03:28 PM

read the title..checked out thread..saw first post..thought it was racist..scrolled down and this thread is turning into a fairly unnecessary debate lol..its so straightforward

bw1wOGf.png

#20 nanizm

nanizm

Rookie

• 69 posts

Posted March 11, 2010 - 03:37 PM

If it's your opinion that baseball is harder to master than football or basketball...thats YOUR opinion. But don't inject race into it by saying BLACKS can't blah blah blah.

Some of the greatest baseball players of all time are black...some are white. Has nothing to do with race so Skip and you have no basis to say anything of that nature.

Neither Skip or I ever said CANT.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users