39 replies to this topic

#21 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted September 19, 2008 - 10:12 AM

theres no way he is 6th man willingly. He is due for his last contract as a player. he needs that thing to be filled with a lot of 0's.

Well then his best bet would be playing off the bench. How can you shine playing alongside the best player in the game, and the 19th and 24th best (based on that one dude's ranking)? Off the bench he'll be the leader.

Whenever I see threads or news reports with Odom as 6th man, I just can't fathom that happening.

He will start, no matter how inconsistent you may think he is. Plus he's the fourth option now! It's all G

He won't be playing off the bench because of his inconsistency, but because of his versatility. It isn't going to be a punishment.

They'll hopefully experiment with both scenarios at training camp and preseason, and just go with what works best.

#22 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 19, 2008 - 10:47 AM

He won't be playing off the bench because of his inconsistency, but because of his versatility. It isn't going to be a punishment.

They'll hopefully experiment with both scenarios at training camp and preseason, and just go with what works best.

Exactly. It's the same thing the Spurs do with Ginobili.

#23 Shooter871

Shooter871

Veteran

• 1,429 posts

Posted September 19, 2008 - 10:57 AM

Why is everyone looking at him going to the bench as a punishment, starting or not he will still get 32+ minutes and I personally think he is more of a bench guy than a starter, talent wise he is a starter but not mental wise. He would be a better fit coming off the bench playing more at the PF spot than SF spot. With Bynum and Gasol down low we need shooters not another slasher like Lamar, it will crowd the paint too much on offense.
:fisher: / :kobe: / :artest: / :pau: / :bynum:

#24 floater

floater

Rookie

• 58 posts

Posted September 19, 2008 - 11:04 PM

Exactly. It's the same thing the Spurs do with Ginobili.

it goes further than that....

What many critics fail to see is that champions have always had that "should be" starter coming off the bench. Many like to refer to Manu Ginobili, but it goes deeper than that.
Lets get Manu out of the way. Manu has been the 3rd highest paid player on the Spurs while playing around 28-30 mpg during this stretch. Its resulted in multiple rings. There's also Toni Kukoc who was consistenly one of the highest paid players on the Bulls, 2nd and 3rd at times. He was arguably the Bulls 4th best player, yet he came off the bench for huge team success. The Lakers themselves had their own version with Michael Cooper. He was making the most money on the team for a bit, winning a Defensive Player of the Year award, yet he was coming off the bench on the way to NBA glory.

http://lakersbuzz.blogspot.com/

#25 We Believe

We Believe

Sixth Man

• 2,805 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Fish.

Posted September 19, 2008 - 11:25 PM

i would love to see odom come of the bench. This would make our bench even more potent.

2010 NBA CHAMPIONS = LOS ANGELES LAKERS

#26 larry14r

larry14r

Rookie

• 790 posts

Posted September 20, 2008 - 12:42 AM

if you were gonna make him 6th man then why did not mitch trade him for ron artest who can play the 3?

stupid stupid

Unfortunately you are too stupid to realized that the Maloofs will never trade with the Lakers.

#27 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted September 20, 2008 - 01:24 PM

If Trev starts its ok, but not Luke or Vlad who can't play a ounce of defense.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#28 Domo

Domo

Based

• 1,001 posts

Posted September 20, 2008 - 05:55 PM

This is Ariza's time to blossom into a great player for us, and hopefully the mid-range jumper he's been practicing over the summer will show during the season. I certainly do not want Vlad starting, not so much Luke either. This is all if Lamar coming off the bench actually becomes a steady thing.

#29 We Believe

We Believe

Sixth Man

• 2,805 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Fish.

Posted September 20, 2008 - 05:57 PM

Yeah with Ariza as a starter our rotation would look something like this

Bynum/Mihm
Pau/Odom
Ariza/Odom
Kobe/Vujacic/
Fisher/Farmar

2010 NBA CHAMPIONS = LOS ANGELES LAKERS

#30 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 21, 2008 - 01:50 AM

What's amazing is people always say "LO - Pau - Bynum would be one of the biggest frontcourts ever"...

What about Vlad? He's 6'10 also...maybe not as long as LO but he's a good fit offensively, spreading the floor.

We'd still have "one of the biggest frontcourts ever" with Vlad...what does LO do (at SF) that's worth 2 and 1/2 times more than Vlad?

Shoot?
Slash?
Defend?
Pass?
Post up?

Help me out here.

#31 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted September 21, 2008 - 02:19 AM

What's amazing is people always say "LO - Pau - Bynum would be one of the biggest frontcourts ever"...

What about Vlad? He's 6'10 also...maybe not as long as LO but he's a good fit offensively, spreading the floor.

We'd still have "one of the biggest frontcourts ever" with Vlad...what does LO do (at SF) that's worth 2 and 1/2 times more than Vlad?

Shoot?
Slash?
Defend?
Pass?
Post up?

Help me out here.

at this point, vlad is more of a SF than Lamar... Lamar will be the backup PF more than SF...

doesn't matter because at the end of the 4th quarter, it will be Bynum-Gasol-Odom on the floor.

Don't be surprised if Phil starts Vlad ahead of Ariza.

Unless Vlad messes up big time, Phil will play him the first 6 minutes knowing he plays well with the starting 5.

#32 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted September 21, 2008 - 03:01 PM

Man I kind of wanted Lamar to start, not come off the bench but I guess I wouldn't mind it if Ariza was starting instead.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#33 magicmoment

magicmoment

ArtestMediaGroup Graphic Designer

• 3,489 posts
  • Name:Angelica "Gel Gel"
  • Fan Since:circa 1999ish
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Vujacic, Gasol, Artest

Posted September 29, 2008 - 02:09 PM

One other thing I heard that might be worth paying attention to is that Phil Jackson is considering starting Trevor Ariza over Lamar Odom. Now, there are a couple of reasons why that move could be made: 1) L-O may have fallen out of favor with Jackson and/or the front office and 2) coming off the bench would pit him against the opponents second unit with the belief that Odom could dominate those stretches of the game. Plus, if he comes off the bench, he won't be playing directly alongside Kobe all the time.

Again, it's just a rumor and this point, but it's definitely something worth watching as we get closer to the season opener: Tuesday, October 28th at home against Portland.

so i got this info from Michael Eaves's blog about Media day..

#34 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted September 29, 2008 - 02:20 PM

lamar for mike miller

#35 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts

Posted September 29, 2008 - 02:20 PM

lamar for mike miller

#36 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted September 29, 2008 - 02:22 PM

Merged.

Please search before creating new topics. Thanks. <_<

#37 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts

Posted September 29, 2008 - 02:23 PM

mike miller for LO

or

marion

#38 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts

Posted September 29, 2008 - 04:24 PM

L.A.Times: Lakers Coach Phil Jackson said recently that he is considering making Lamar Odom the team’s sixth man this season. The Lakers convened this afternoon for a media session in El Segundo before the start of training camp Tuesday and Odom voiced his disdain for Jackson’s idea.

“He must have woke up and bumped his head. He probably hit his head on something — boom,” Odom said about Jackson. “To start off like that, you’ve got to be out of your . . . mind.”

http://www.latimes.c...0,4847394.story

#39 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted September 29, 2008 - 04:28 PM

Merged.

Do we really need a new topic every time a journalist writes about Odom being the 6th man? ;)

#40 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted September 29, 2008 - 09:38 PM

So Lamar is unhappy about the idea now? I thought he was happy about it? Looks like he's even inconsistent with his opinions :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users