40 replies to this topic

#21 insert coin here

insert coin here

I killed Kwame Brown.

• 1,759 posts
  • Fan Since:Forever.
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted September 17, 2008 - 08:14 PM

At least Charles Barkley is somewhat funny...

This guy screams Marbury part 2...
"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
Karl Marx

#22 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted September 17, 2008 - 09:25 PM

Because it really isn't that great of a song. Sorry. Musically, I think it sucks. Hendrix did it well, so did Whitney and Marvin. But otherwise, not a fan. Too difficult to perform, as the character of Belize pointed out in Tony Kushner's Angels in America:

"The white cracker who wrote the national anthem knew what he was doing. He set the word 'free' to a note so high nobody can reach it. That was deliberate. Nothing on earth sounds less like freedom to me."

But never mind the theatre. The point is just because someone ages ago decided that something would be our "national anthem," doesn't automatically instill in it respect and admiration, nor is enjoying it a requirement for being a citizen of a country. Dress it up all you want, it's still just a friggin' song. Nothing on earth sounds less like America than trying to run off people who don't agree with you...especially over a damned song.

Josh has every right to feel the way he does and isn't necessarily wrong or stupid to feel that way.

He IS stupid for not having the common sense to realize that a charity event isn't the time to be making controversial political statements, especially (as Dime put it) "after smoking weed, throwing a party on the night before a playoff game, getting arrested for going 94 mph in a 55 mph zone, and then complaining about getting negative press at a charity softball game."

3 out of those last 4 things was pure stupidity while the other was stupid because he actually talked about it.

That man is slowly disappearing into the Tyson zone.

This is the only post on this thread that has it RIGHT ON. People are angry over stupid reasons right now.

#23 A_V_R

A_V_R

A firm disbeliever in your punch clock promise

• 394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted September 17, 2008 - 10:37 PM

man kobe is gonna rip him up when he plays him kobe is a patriot

Yeah its going to be like capt america vs the red skull except capt america is going to dunk on the red skull and dangle his balls in his face and yell unrepeatable obscenities in mark cubans general direction while getting back on d.

#24 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted September 17, 2008 - 11:16 PM

This is the only post on this thread that has it RIGHT ON. People are angry over stupid reasons right now.

Stupid reasons? Yes the national anthem is a song. Just like our national flag is a cloth decided centuries ago by some old folks that it will be the flag for our country, and the bald eagle is just a bird, and the Statue of Liberty is just a hunk of metal, etc. Whether you decide to respect it or not is up to you, but these things are symbols of our country. People here have deep respect and a strong sense of pride for all of these symbols and the country they represent. Is that respect and pride for this country "stupid"?

#25 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,356 posts

Posted September 17, 2008 - 11:33 PM

this is america the greatest country in the world

all of you on here saying it wasn't wrong what he did are hilarious

because if you were in china or north korea and you said that you would never be heard from again

be thankful to be an american i despise people who say they hate america go live in F'in sudan for 2 hours or F'in the middle east tell me how much you hate america

F'in ridiculous
Posted Image

#26 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,356 posts

Posted September 17, 2008 - 11:36 PM

if you don't feel patriotism for this great country thats your problem

go live in the sudan, congo, north korea, cuba for a year see how much you appreciate america

i love how the people who criticize america are often times the people who live in suburbia and have a full plate of food on the table every night

go ask an immigrant from mexico how much they love america because they'll tell you the difference of here and there
Posted Image

#27 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts

Posted September 18, 2008 - 01:01 AM

Here is my reply ladies and gents.

http://sports.espn.g...e=adande-080918

I think Mr. Adande has it explained quite well here.

People are angry over stupid reasons because there's more to it than what ya'll think... majority of the people reacting to this issue don't understand the depth of the situation. Most people are reacting to the surface issue... it's not to say what Howard did was right. Obviously we can all see he was being an idiot to a certain extent, but I guess what I'm saying is that people are getting angry over the issue without really knowing how it got to this extent... and as always, Mr. Andande hits the nail in the coffin in this article.

And you are probably right if you say I am not patriotic. I don't need to live in North Korea or Cuba or the former Soviet Union to love and appreciate what we have here in the U.S.... I just personally don't believe in borders and countries... we still have it because we're a young civilization and the resources are limited. It's only a matter of time before these silly borders and labels are gone. But knowing how we think and act as human species, we will most likely have new types of borders and new types of problems. But that is a whole another discussion...

Edited by Beethovenite, September 18, 2008 - 01:15 AM.

#28 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted September 18, 2008 - 01:26 AM

In 2003, when a basketball player at New York's Manhattanville College named Toni Smith was thrust into the national spotlight for her refusal to face the flag during the national anthem, she at least gave eloquent reasons for her choice.

"The flag means to me; first, it means it stands for the millions and millions of indigenous people who were massacred to claim it," she said on "Outside the Lines" that year. "It means the millions of those enslaved in order to build it up. And it means the millions of those who are still oppressed in order for it to prosper. It also does stand for those who fought. They gave their lives in order for this country to prosper, but I don't think that for any specific purpose I should compromise my beliefs to accommodate people's personal offenses towards their family or however they feel defending them.

Negatives & positives, at least this lady gave a solid reasoning as to why she's against it. Howard could've done a much better job.

#29 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts

Posted September 18, 2008 - 01:34 AM

Negatives & positives, at least this lady gave a solid reasoning as to why she's against it. Howard could've done a much better job.

Positives to us often mean NEGATIVE to others... and negatives to others often mean POSITIVE for us...

it's all a big competition... it's written within our biological rules to be competitive and our societies are built upon how we've evolved. can't fight against that at this point... our main purpose in life is to survive and reproduce. that means there will be those who stand in our way... whether we're talking on individual basis, or family, or ethnicity, whatever... if people understood the entire picture, they wouldn't go running around calling people unnecessary names and calling howard the n word or questioning others' "patriotism"... who are we to force our own beliefs on others? how different is that from invading on their land? invading one's mind can be as dangerous if not MORE dangerous than invading one's land...

#30 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 18, 2008 - 09:28 AM

He can choose to disrespect our anthem if he wants, but let's be real about it.... in no other country would he have the opportunity to be in the position he is in now. We can't control what happened at the beginning of our country. By having pride in the flag and the song doesn't mean we are endorsing rape, murder, or slavery. That is taken too literally.

#31 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 18, 2008 - 09:55 AM

He can choose to disrespect our anthem if he wants, but let's be real about it.... in no other country would he have the opportunity to be in the position he is in now. We can't control what happened at the beginning of our country. By having pride in the flag and the song doesn't mean we are endorsing rape, murder, or slavery. That is taken too literally.

What's taking it too literally is assuming that because Josh Howard is PERSONALLY against this song that he thinks people that aren't support rape, murder and slavery.

I don't understand why people can't see that the issue here is occasion and delivery, NOT the sentiment.

Thanks for the support, but sadly I think we're wasting our time. Too many people in this thread are blinded by their outrage to realize that you can love your country and the opportunities it has given you and still be upset by many of its qualities or that patriotism has nothing to do with flags and songs and symbols.

#32 Beef

Beef

Rookie

• 392 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Bynum

Posted September 18, 2008 - 10:15 AM

Hes truly a dumbass! An anthem hating,street racing,weed smokeing guy,and he plays in the nba? WTF?

#33 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts

Posted September 18, 2008 - 10:54 AM

What's taking it too literally is assuming that because Josh Howard is PERSONALLY against this song that he thinks people that aren't support rape, murder and slavery.

I don't understand why people can't see that the issue here is occasion and delivery, NOT the sentiment.

Thanks for the support, but sadly I think we're wasting our time. Too many people in this thread are blinded by their outrage to realize that you can love your country and the opportunities it has given you and still be upset by many of its qualities or that patriotism has nothing to do with flags and songs and symbols.

Well, it's that kind of rage and blindness that leads mankind into war... instead of trying to understand the whys and the hows, it's about "HOW DARE YOU CHOOSE TO BE DIFFERENT FROM ME?!!??!"

It's alright, it's still early... hopefully we'll continue to mature and evolve as a society.

#34 DeeZee

DeeZee

Sixth Man

• 4,190 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe. Shaq. Magic. Kareem.

Posted September 18, 2008 - 03:16 PM

#35 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted September 19, 2008 - 09:14 AM

Mark Cuban: I salute you.

http://blogmaverick....advice-on-josh/

Much of the rest of the country: not so much.

#36 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts

Posted September 19, 2008 - 11:39 AM

Mark Cuban: I salute you.

http://blogmaverick....advice-on-josh/

Much of the rest of the country: not so much.

LMAOOOOOOOO I LOVE MARK CUBAN.

Hmm, I wonder how many of the posters on this board are also closet racists...

#37 purple_and_gold_fever

purple_and_gold_fever

Sixth Man

• 3,817 posts

Posted September 19, 2008 - 12:29 PM

Here is my reply ladies and gents.

http://sports.espn.g...e=adande-080918

I think Mr. Adande has it explained quite well here.

People are angry over stupid reasons because there's more to it than what ya'll think... majority of the people reacting to this issue don't understand the depth of the situation. Most people are reacting to the surface issue... it's not to say what Howard did was right. Obviously we can all see he was being an idiot to a certain extent, but I guess what I'm saying is that people are getting angry over the issue without really knowing how it got to this extent... and as always, Mr. Andande hits the nail in the coffin in this article.

And you are probably right if you say I am not patriotic. I don't need to live in North Korea or Cuba or the former Soviet Union to love and appreciate what we have here in the U.S.... I just personally don't believe in borders and countries... we still have it because we're a young civilization and the resources are limited. It's only a matter of time before these silly borders and labels are gone. But knowing how we think and act as human species, we will most likely have new types of borders and new types of problems. But that is a whole another discussion...

so you're ok with people going into your house and using your things without permission? you know, trespassing? no borders right?

#38 BadScooter

BadScooter

Rookie

• 600 posts

Posted September 19, 2008 - 01:02 PM

so you're ok with people going into your house and using your things without permission? you know, trespassing? no borders right?

Where I come from, we call this "reading comprehension." How you drew that conclusion from what he wrote is beyond me.

#39 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted September 19, 2008 - 01:07 PM

no one is going to be right in this argument, josh howard is an idiot, hes not taking care of the advantages that have been given to him, you dont say something like that on camera without thinking there wont be any repercussions, that is something i can agree with, but no matter which side you take, you will still be trying to force YOUR IDEA unto someone else, regardless if its about the non-patriotism, the opening of borders, the anthem, hell how about christianity ...... this country has been here many years before us and will go on after were gone (unless another comet hits us lol), we can try and change things but only so little can be done at a time because imo the human race doesnt like change ... my parents came here back in the 70's to make their lives better for them AND their children, i have it better here than 75% of the human population (maybe more), there are wars going on everywhere and millions die everyday while im sitting here on the computer arguing about basketball. yes i have taken it for granted, im sure everyone of us has, so that is a reason why im patriotic, but i also i believe there can change for something better where we live in a society where there is no genocide, wars, or racism
Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

#40 Vahan

Vahan

Rookie

• 289 posts

Posted September 19, 2008 - 03:21 PM

And I felt bad for him for calling that timeout in the Finals a few years back?

This guy is absurd...

seriously, and by the way, he didnt call a timeout, he was telling his coach should I call a timeout?

Lakers 08-09 Champs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users