53 replies to this topic

#21 hi_ma

hi_ma

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted January 16, 2010 - 10:43 AM

I take wilt off
Kobe's official reign of terror is about to get its jump off on.

#22 SHAQ WHERE YOU AT

SHAQ WHERE YOU AT

cool kid

• 4,362 posts
  • Name:Super Stud
  • Fav. Laker:Nick, Gary

Posted January 16, 2010 - 10:52 AM

I take wilt off

why?

Posted Image

#23 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,730 posts
  • Name:Ahmed
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 16, 2010 - 12:23 PM

Wilt is the GOAT, not Michael Jordan. Most people that pick MJ never saw Wilt play.

to quote what Wilt said on TV in an interview addressing MJ: "Michael, when they change the rules on account of you, come talk to me". The 3 second lane used to be 3 feet wide. They widened it to keep Wilt away from the basket. Note, they outlawed the dunk in college because of Lew Alcindor (Kareem Abdul Jabbar). All that made him do was perfect his sky hook and jump shot. Kareem > MJ as well.

Wilt is 4th in all time triple doubles and would be higher if they recorded blocked shots in his day. They didn't do that until the season after he left the NBA. I saw Wilt block the same guy 3 times in succession, then do it to another player later in the same game.

Wilt only went to the bench in blowouts. He played all 48 minutes just about every game. What other player can say that?

He never fouled out of a game on personals. Once, he got DQ'd for two technicals.

It was not uncommon to see Wilt get over 30 rebounds in a game with the Lakers in 1971-72 while Lakers forward Happy Hairston was averaging over 12.

When he wanted to lead the league in assists, he did. Show me another center to do this.

Made my day, +1.

#24 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted January 16, 2010 - 01:03 PM

LeBron should be #1 on that list IMO. dude has sheer quickness of a guard and power of a center.

#25 GuamLakersFan

GuamLakersFan

Rookie

• 172 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 16, 2010 - 02:07 PM

Okay, if we are just talking about athletic ability/gifts then this becomes very difficult. How many super duper athletes made the NBA but didn't have the basketball skills or hustle/determination to make a big name for themselves, or got an injury early in their careers? I mean, if James White had good enough basketball skills to stay around in the NBA or be an allstar, then suddenly he's WAY higher on the list of athletic ability, even though he already has that exact same ability. I wonder how many other cases like him they are in the history of the NBA. If the NBA had some kind of combine that players had to take every year, and records were kept like other stats, then you might have something to build a case. But it's just a bunch of eyeballing and guesswork as it is.

Also, should SIZE be considered as part of athleticism? Maybe so, maybe not. On the other hand, in the game of basketball being tall makes you a more valuable athlete compared to a shorter guy with the same vertical, speed, and strength. But on the other hand, look out ShanWow. Shannon jumps WAY higher then Jordan or even Vince Carter or Lebron. If Shannon was Lebron's size, he'd probably touch the top of the backboard.

From the stories I heard Wilt and Bill Russell were the greatest athletes back in the day. Just doing freak things with speed, jumping, and endurance. But I don't see putting Kareem on that list because he dunked all day on shorties. Maybe he deserves to be on there for his speed and endurance relative to his size, but NOT because of the college dunking rule thing.

Anyways, I wanna put in a second vote for Rodman. Dude was CRAZY athletic for ANY size, let alone a PF. I remember watching him come out of games in which everyone else is breathing hard, and he'd get straight on a stationary bike while out of the game. Dude ran around like a gazelle and didn't seem to ever get tired or slow down.

#26 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,312 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted January 16, 2010 - 02:14 PM

What about Nate Robinson ? Dude is a monster athlete. 

#27 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,084 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 16, 2010 - 02:33 PM

That list sucks. And whoever said Wilt/Kareem pwns MJ is smokin some good ish.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#28 kingjeezy♕

kingjeezy♕

Creator of All Interesting Threads™

• 3,051 posts
  • Name:RJNavarrete
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 16, 2010 - 04:53 PM

You must be kidding.

Though he was a two-time all-American on the basketball team, Wilt Chamberlain was also an accomplished track and field star at the University of Kansas. In his early years, Chamberlain was not interested in basketball, because he thought it was "a game for sissies". Instead, he was an avid track and field athlete: as a youth, he high jumped 6 feet, 6 inches, ran the 440 yards in 49.0* seconds and the 880 yards in 1:58.3, put the shot 53 feet, 4 inches, and broad jumped 22 feet.

*Just to put that into perspective, the current 440 yard dash World Record set by John Smith in 1971 is 44.58 seconds.

Posted Image

Wilt was a one of a kind freak of nature, man. :rock:

#29 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

Lakers franchise > Celtics franchise

• 1,403 posts
  • Fan Since:1967
  • Fav. Laker:Wilt Chamberlain

Posted January 17, 2010 - 07:29 AM

I said it and don't do drugs. I said Wilt and Kareem were greater players in the NBA than MJ.
1) Wilt
2) Kareem\
3) MJ

It is hard to compare a big guy to a smaller player, they play completely different games.

However, as I am sure I said, most people that pick MJ never saw Wilt play. Probably a lot never saw Kareem play either.I wonder if you even saw any of the three.

Wilt could stop anyone on defense. Except Kareem. Wilt jumped on every skyhook Abdul Jabbar took and didn't come close to blocking them. Also, remember, Wilt never fouled out of any game on personals. This means he's playing some incredible defense while going for a block, timing things not to foul. That's an incredible skill.

Chamberlain and Jabbar were the go to guys until late in their careers. That's the same as Jordan, but they brought so much more that MJ didn't. Rebounds, blocks, assists. when did MJ ever lead the league in assists? Wilt did.

For every shot Wilt didn't block, he altered them with intimidation. Anyone driving on Kareem had to adjust their shot as well. How many shots did MJ alter?

Chambelrlain had several years left in him when he retired. Essentially, he jumped to the ABA to be player coach of the San Diego Conquistadors in 1973. Then Lakers owner Jack Kent Cooke went to court and had him blocked from playing, I seem to recall Wilt had a contract still to play in LA.

Now if you want to talk rings as making a greatest player, let me say this. Basketball is a team game. Wilt said "I always beat the pants off Bill Russell, but his 4 guys beat my 4 guys"

So, Kareem and MJ have 6 rings, and Wilt had only 2. Maybe we put Robert Horry and his 7 rings ahead of them?

Seasons the Celtics lost ECF when Lakers won the championship (7): 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, 2002
In NBA history, the Lakers have finished better than the Celtics by a margin of 41-25!

Click for Video proof Lakers are the greatest NBA franchise
FaceBook: http://www.facebook....nCelticsBusters

#30 Chinesetakeout

Chinesetakeout

Off The Bench

• 1,518 posts
  • Name:Wayne
  • Fan Since:'98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 17, 2010 - 09:17 PM

How about Vince Carter?

#31 ScorpyDoo

ScorpyDoo

Rookie

• 154 posts
  • Name:Lester Delis
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:K O B E

Posted January 18, 2010 - 12:04 AM

SPEAKING OF LEBRON JAMES I think KOBE BACKED HIM DOWN THE POST LAST YEAR STRENGTH? yeah right!
Posted Image

#32 GuamLakersFan

GuamLakersFan

Rookie

• 172 posts
  • Fan Since:1991

Posted January 18, 2010 - 08:35 AM

You must be kidding.

Though he was a two-time all-American on the basketball team, Wilt Chamberlain was also an accomplished track and field star at the University of Kansas. In his early years, Chamberlain was not interested in basketball, because he thought it was "a game for sissies". Instead, he was an avid track and field athlete: as a youth, he high jumped 6 feet, 6 inches, ran the 440 yards in 49.0* seconds and the 880 yards in 1:58.3, put the shot 53 feet, 4 inches, and broad jumped 22 feet.

*Just to put that into perspective, the current 440 yard dash World Record set by John Smith in 1971 is 44.58 seconds.

Posted Image

Wilt was a one of a kind freak of nature, man. :rock:

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! THANK YOU! Someone is finally talking about the "greatest athlete" debate in terms of athletics! Who cares about rings? Who cares about basketball skills? Of course those things are important, but they aren't relevant to the question at hand. Wilt not fouling out means he was good at not fouling. Great, but not relevant to this discussion. These raw numbers, however, are unbelievable. That's an amazingly well rounded athlete. I don't know if any current NBA guards would run the half mile in under 2 minutes. That's crazy. He appears to be one of the NBA's greatest athletes ever before even giving him the bonus points for being over 7 foot tall. Certainly I can't think of any 7 footers who had that amount of speed plus hops plus strength. Dwight Howard probably has those hops and upper body strength, but I doubt he has that kind of speed (not over a half mile). Subtract a few points for being several inches shorter then Wilt, and I think Dwight is in 2nd place for "big guys" all time (athletically).

#33 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

• 1,403 posts

Posted January 18, 2010 - 11:42 AM

Wilt not fouling out means he was good at not fouling. Great, but not relevant to this discussion.

So, Wilt timing his jumps to block shots had nothng to do with athletic ability? Why do you never hit a fly when you try to swat it with your hand? Because it moves too darn fast. Why? Because it's a fly and that's what flies do! Why did Wilt not foul when he blocked a shot? Because he knew how to move his massive frame. That has to take athletic ability which as we have seen, Wilt obviously had. Just a mild disagreement, your whole post is spot on. I just saw an opportunity in this thread to throw a few reasons why Wilt is the GOAT, and not MJ.

Seasons the Celtics lost ECF when Lakers won the championship (7): 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1988, 2002
In NBA history, the Lakers have finished better than the Celtics by a margin of 41-25!

#34 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,730 posts

Posted January 18, 2010 - 12:21 PM

So, Wilt timing his jumps to block shots had nothng to do with athletic ability? Why do you never hit a fly when you try to swat it with your hand? Because it moves too darn fast. Why? Because it's a fly and that's what flies do! Why did Wilt not foul when he blocked a shot? Because he knew how to move his massive frame. That has to take athletic ability which as we have seen, Wilt obviously had. Just a mild disagreement, your whole post is spot on. I just saw an opportunity in this thread to throw a few reasons why Wilt is the GOAT, and not MJ.

Exactly, it takes incredible timing, accuracy as well as the athletic ability to block shots the way wilt did.

#35 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,402 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted January 18, 2010 - 01:02 PM

I take wilt off

This has to be your crown jewel :nah:

Hope you read the rest of this post.....

And thanks to Laker_55 & rodrigue le terrible to the knowledge they brought.

veqdeg.jpg

#36 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,084 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 19, 2010 - 06:29 AM

I said it and don't do drugs. I said Wilt and Kareem were greater players in the NBA than MJ.
1) Wilt
2) Kareem\
3) MJ

It is hard to compare a big guy to a smaller player, they play completely different games.

However, as I am sure I said, most people that pick MJ never saw Wilt play. Probably a lot never saw Kareem play either.I wonder if you even saw any of the three.

Wilt could stop anyone on defense. Except Kareem. Wilt jumped on every skyhook Abdul Jabbar took and didn't come close to blocking them. Also, remember, Wilt never fouled out of any game on personals. This means he's playing some incredible defense while going for a block, timing things not to foul. That's an incredible skill.

Chamberlain and Jabbar were the go to guys until late in their careers. That's the same as Jordan, but they brought so much more that MJ didn't. Rebounds, blocks, assists. when did MJ ever lead the league in assists? Wilt did.

For every shot Wilt didn't block, he altered them with intimidation. Anyone driving on Kareem had to adjust their shot as well. How many shots did MJ alter?

Chambelrlain had several years left in him when he retired. Essentially, he jumped to the ABA to be player coach of the San Diego Conquistadors in 1973. Then Lakers owner Jack Kent Cooke went to court and had him blocked from playing, I seem to recall Wilt had a contract still to play in LA.

Now if you want to talk rings as making a greatest player, let me say this. Basketball is a team game. Wilt said "I always beat the pants off Bill Russell, but his 4 guys beat my 4 guys"

So, Kareem and MJ have 6 rings, and Wilt had only 2. Maybe we put Robert Horry and his 7 rings ahead of them?

Yeh, this is Laker-homerism at it's finest. What are talking about here? The thread topic or GOAT? Because GOAT is a closed-case. The only exceptions are a few Laker fans drinking too much purple and gold.
Greater players? No way.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#37 SHAQ WHERE YOU AT

SHAQ WHERE YOU AT

cool kid

• 4,362 posts
  • Name:Super Stud
  • Fav. Laker:Nick, Gary

Posted January 19, 2010 - 01:18 PM

Yeh, this is Laker-homerism at it's finest. What are talking about here? The thread topic or GOAT? Because GOAT is a closed-case. The only exceptions are a few Laker fans drinking too much purple and gold.
Greater players? No way.

In your opinion.

Posted Image

#38 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,730 posts

Posted January 19, 2010 - 02:05 PM

In your opinion.

A blind, ignorant one with no comeback argument that for sure.

#39 crazyasianskills

crazyasianskills

Rookie

• 347 posts
  • Fan Since:1999, I was in kindergarten.
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe/Shannon/RonRon/EVERYONE

Posted January 19, 2010 - 02:21 PM

Greater players? No way.

Wilt was barely a Laker. He is known as a 76er.
Posted Image

#40 Lakers_55

Lakers_55

• 1,403 posts

Posted January 19, 2010 - 02:26 PM

Greater players? No way.

Yep GOAT is a closed case. It's Wilt Chamberlain. I made a case..If you think it's MJ, you lose, you made no case. You can't win an argument with an opinion.You sure can lose them and you're way behind with nothing to substantiate your claim, if it is indeed MJ you prefer to call the GOAT.

As far as the thread topic goes, Wilt is the greatest athlete as well.

Wilt was barely a Laker. He is known as a 76er.

His best days were as a Warrior, both Philadelphia and San Francisco.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users