#61 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,102 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 13, 2010 - 02:53 PM

Said I wasn't going to post again in this thread, but you're a little misinformed my friend.

First off, the recruits can transfer. National signing day isn't until Feb. 3rd so recruits can do what ever they want until they signed on the dotted line.

Secondly, USC did not get desperate. My friend in the athletic department said the Jack Del Rio "candidacy" was not real to begin with. He was never offered by SC and I made the mistake of posting the rumor I found from a journalist. Mike Riley was a possible choice, but was again never offered a contract by SC. The reported targets of SC were all smoke and mirrors. The two real candidates were Kiffin and Sarkisian, both recommended by Pete Caroll. That's first hand info and is 100% true.

Many may feel that Lane Kiffin is unloyal, and thats fine because every SC hater feels that way. But the fact is he is loyal to SC and this was the only job he would have left Tennessee for. He told the AD at Tenn. on Saturday that he would be interested in the SC job if it was offered to him and what do you know, he got it.

Lastly I am not sure what AD said it, or else I would have posted the name. It doesn't matter really, just an interesting quote to throw out there. All the SC haters are not in favor of the hire. 90% of Trojan fans are in favor of it, and present and past Trojans are 100% in favor of it.

All that matters are the results on the field come next season, so you just have to wait and see.

Ahhh, I see...you've got the "inside scoop". Spare me, not buying it.

Kids decided to go to Tenn cause of him, I don't know why, but they did. Tenn is pissed but they'll get over it once they realize Lane isn't ish anyway. What has he done? As one guy on ESPN said, "He's the Paris Hilton of college football."

I'll take your "first-hand" info with a grain of salt.

And what is this "SC haters may feel that way"? Dude SC homers don't even like this dude.

This is SC, you mean to tell me they can't get someone better than Lane Kiffin?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#62 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,102 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:07 PM

National signing day for high school seniors is Feb. 3, and it remains to be seen how many verbal commitments Tennessee loses now that Kiffin has departed. According to Scouts Inc., defensive tackle Brandon Willis of Duncan, S.C., has decommitted for a second time and has given a verbal commitment to North Carolina.

Scouts Inc. also reported that defensive end Delvin Jones of Miami has decommitted and is considering written offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi and Nebraska.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#63 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:17 PM

Ahhh, I see...you've got the "inside scoop". Spare me, not buying it.

Kids decided to go to Tenn cause of him, I don't know why, but they did. Tenn is pissed but they'll get over it once they realize Lane isn't ish anyway. What has he done? As one guy on ESPN said, "He's the Paris Hilton of college football."

I'll take your "first-hand" info with a grain of salt.

And what is this "SC haters may feel that way"? Dude SC homers don't even like this dude.

This is SC, you mean to tell me they can't get someone better than Lane Kiffin?

You don't need to buy it. I know the truth and you don't. So there. People that know what I am about here know I don't go around claiming inside sources. I do have them with USC though and that's something that's a plus to me since I am a big time Trojan fan.

Has Kiffin proven anything as a head coach? No, but there hasn't been many years to go off of. I know he helped USC have one of the most explosive offenses when he worked with Sark as an OC. In 2-3 years, we will see how good of a coach he is or not. I won't judge coaching a lost cause in the NFL and I won't judge his first year performance. Kids went to Tennessee because he is a hell of recruiter and it helped that he had Coach O with him, who is one of the best recruiters in America. And people bought into what he was trying to install into the program.

If you would read my post I said 90% of Trojan fans like the hire. There are fans that absolutely hate it too.

Could we have gotten a better coach? Sure, but the situation is a tough one with it being so close to National Signing day. My choice would have been Petersen, but the fact that he loves in the Boise and the fact that his kid has cancer and they have one of the best cancer doctors working with his child is another reason why it would be tough to pull him from there.

Kiffin is bringing in a solid staff and they will help USC remain a force. USC is bringing in someone familiar with the program and thats a big plus. Nothing will change dramatically but there is a new energy that will be inserted into the program for the first time in about 4 years.

National signing day for high school seniors is Feb. 3, and it remains to be seen how many verbal commitments Tennessee loses now that Kiffin has departed. According to Scouts Inc., defensive tackle Brandon Willis of Duncan, S.C., has decommitted for a second time and has given a verbal commitment to North Carolina.

Scouts Inc. also reported that defensive end Delvin Jones of Miami has decommitted and is considering written offers from Alabama, Arkansas, Mississippi and Nebraska.

They also might lose Ambles and Dixon to SC.

#64 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,102 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:21 PM

USC told the Tenn recruits not to go to class...wow.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#65 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,665 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:24 PM

heard his dad and norm chow are going with him as coordinators?

forgive me if that info is already somewhere in the thread

Posted Image

#66 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:28 PM

USC told the Tenn recruits not to go to class...wow.

Not the whole story.

Coach O did call the recruits that were going to enroll in spring classes this week.

There was a misconception that this was a violation because right now is a "dead period" with recruits which means no contact can be made unless recruits contact the coaches. But the rule with early enrollments is that they are the only ones who can be contacted by coaches. Coach O told those recruits to keep an open mind because if they were to transfer to SC OR any other school after they enrolled, they would have to sit out a year if they wanted to play football.

heard his dad and norm chow are going with him as coordinators?

forgive me if that info is already somewhere in the thread

Monte Kiffin is coming to SC and there is a deal being worked out with Chow to come back as the OC.

#67 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,102 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:32 PM

I don't know man, this whole situation just stanks to high heaven.

By Michael Rosenberg

Well, I really have to hand it to the USC Trojans: They aren't even faking it anymore.

They're in it to win, everything else be damned. They don't care what the NCAA thinks, what other schools think or what the public thinks.

The Trojans brought O.J. Mayo in to their basketball program in the most publicly illegal way possible. Their best football player of the last decade, Reggie Bush, reportedly took hundreds of thousands of dollars from a wannabe sports marketer while in school. Their best running back last season, Joe McKnight, reportedly drove a Land Rover registered to another marketer.

For years, USC has stonewalled all investigations. USC thinks the "N" in NCAA stands for "nuisance" and the other three letters aren't worth learning.

Now, with the NCAA finally dragging its USC investigation(s) to the finish line, USC athletic director Mike Garrett just hired ... Lane Kiffin.

Wow.

Lane Kiffin, Mike?

Really?

What happened?

Did Barry Switzer say no?

This is the same coach whose Tennessee program is facing a wide-ranging investigation into its recruiting practices, according to The New York Times. This is the same Kiffin who falsely accused Florida coach Urban Meyer of recruiting violations last year, and who has committed more than his share of secondary violations in Knoxville, and who served under Pete Carroll when the Bush scandal happened.

It is the same Kiffin who torches so many relationships, he might as well dip his finger in lighter fluid before he shakes hands. Kiffin's mouth poses such a danger to the people around him that when he goes through airport security, he has to remove his tongue.

USC doesn't care about any of it. I think Garrett saw the recent ESPN documentary on Miami's football program and thought it was an instructional video.

If USC were a public university, with elected trustees, subject to Freedom of Information Act requests, the Trojans probably couldn't get away with this. They would at least have to fake guilt for their scandals. Somebody would step up and say enough already.

Most schools in this position do what they can to convince the NCAA they are sorry. They scrounge up evidence that they have changed their ways. Sorry, but you can't trot Lane Kiffin in front of the NCAA and say things have changed. USC must know that. USC just doesn't care.

USC is just confirming what people already suspected about it. And Kiffin is confirming what people suspected about him.

Kiffin is a bright young coach who is confident enough in his own authority to surround himself with big-name assistants. But he is living in a world where all that matters is Lane Kiffin winning. He just proved it once again.

It's not just that Kiffin left Tennessee after one year. In a vacuum, that is understandable. Circumstances change, your dream job comes up -- nobody can control timing.

But it is hard to imagine a university putting itself on the line for a coach more than Tennessee did for Kiffin. Remember: Kiffin was coming off a disastrous stint with the Raiders when the Vols hired him. (By definition, all stints with the Raiders are disastrous.) Raiders owner Al Davis had called him a "flat-out liar."

Tennessee pulled Kiffin off the discard pile, paid him more than $2 million a year and gave him more than $3 million to pay his assistants -- the biggest salary pool for any school in the country. (One of those assistants, Lane's father Monte, got $1.2 million -- and a $300,000 retention bonus if he was still on staff Dec. 31. Now, two weeks later, Monte is heading to USC -- and presumably taking that retention bonus with him.)

Tennessee stood by Kiffin when he violated rules and falsely accused others of doing so. The school deified him when he boasted about hurting his SEC rivals by stealing their coaches.

Tennessee let Kiffin do pretty much anything he wanted to whomever he wanted. As he told SI's John Ed Bradley last winter: "You can't count the number of people we've run off because they couldn't keep up, and I'm including secretaries. They had to go because they weren't going to make it, and they knew it."

Maybe I'm not tough enough for Kiffin's world, but I have a problem with a coach who makes millions of dollars bragging that he ran off a secretary.

So what happens to the secretaries now, Lane? What happens to the support staff? What happens to the players who came to Knoxville with the promise that you were going to win big and watch out for them?

Kiffin seems to think that's Tennessee's problem. And sadly, he is right. Kiffin gets to run off to USC, where all they care about is winning. Lane Kiffin and USC deserve each other. This marriage is both absurd and perfect, all at once.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#68 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:35 PM

Again the media all hates the hiring and has something to say. I've read about 15 different articles that share the same sentiments as the one you posted.

#69 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,102 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:53 PM

Yeh, but what has he done to earn a job at USC?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#70 GP1_KB24

GP1_KB24

Dedication 4.

• 20,198 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Dwight.

Posted January 13, 2010 - 03:57 PM

Again the media all hates the hiring and has something to say. I've read about 15 different articles that share the same sentiments as the one you posted.

Because of all the problems at SC right now, and out of all people it's Kiffen? Seriously? :cry:

5 Letters... 'YMCMB'

Posted Image

#71 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 04:04 PM

Yeh, but what has he done to earn a job at USC?

What did Pete Caroll do to earn the USC job in the first place? He was an average NFL coach. Now I'll say this, if I was in charge of hiring the next coach, and a stack of resumes came in, Kiffin's wouldn't be in the accepted stack. The fact that he is familiar with the program and was a coach with USC is why he is getting the job. Like I said, it was between Sark and Kiff, so both of them don't have much on their resume.

Because of all the problems at SC right now, and out of all people it's Kiffen? Seriously? :cry:

My thinking is that USC is not that worried about the so called sanctions coming down. I'll tell you this, I believe the sanctions are going to be nothing more than a slap on the wrist if there are any placed on the program.

#72 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,102 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 07:47 PM

Tenn has lost some 4 star recruits and a Top 150 recruit as well.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#73 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,102 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 07:51 PM

What did Pete Caroll do to earn the USC job in the first place? He was an average NFL coach. Now I'll say this, if I was in charge of hiring the next coach, and a stack of resumes came in, Kiffin's wouldn't be in the accepted stack. The fact that he is familiar with the program and was a coach with USC is why he is getting the job. Like I said, it was between Sark and Kiff, so both of them don't have much on their resume.

My thinking is that USC is not that worried about the so called sanctions coming down. I'll tell you this, I believe the sanctions are going to be nothing more than a slap on the wrist if there are any placed on the program.

Come on now, don't compare Kiffin to Pete. Pete has been successful as a head coach and Lane hasn't.

USC should be worried about the sanctions.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#74 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,151 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 08:33 PM

Come on now, don't compare Kiffin to Pete. Pete has been successful as a head coach and Lane hasn't.

pete caroll was really a defensive coach, lane brought monte kiffin over. who is pete carolls mentor.

so if anything there will be no drop off defensively if not better defensively. offensive USC was the best with norm chow and at its second best under lane kiffin

so either way the offense will be back up to speed.

and Lane has proven something. he has proven he is an elite recruiter. at USC he was one of their most successful recruiters and at Tennessee he brought in 2 great recruiting classes. that was at tennessee. imagine what he'll do at USC which is a pro-factory
Posted Image

#75 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 10:14 PM

Lane hasn't been coaching long enough to see if he is a successful head coach. Again, I was providing you an example, but again you need to sweep it under the rug because you think I am comparing the two in coaching skills. In a couple years, we will see how successful he has been at SC. Will he match Pete Carroll? Probably not because no one will match what SC did under Pete Carroll. Interesting enough, Lane Kiffin is part of that run.

As for the sanctions, USC already has its case ready to take to the NCAA. Fans aren't too worried about it. If sanctions do come, its expected amongst fans to be no more than a slap on the wrist. You never know though. But just the fact that the investigation took four years has me thinking the NCAA were desperately keeping the case alive to try and find something.

pete caroll was really a defensive coach, lane brought monte kiffin over. who is pete carolls mentor.

so if anything there will be no drop off defensively if not better defensively. offensive USC was the best with norm chow and at its second best under lane kiffin

so either way the offense will be back up to speed.

and Lane has proven something. he has proven he is an elite recruiter. at USC he was one of their most successful recruiters and at Tennessee he brought in 2 great recruiting classes. that was at tennessee. imagine what he'll do at USC which is a pro-factory

:yes:

#76 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,102 posts

Posted January 14, 2010 - 06:43 AM

Well, you Trojan fans have no choice but to be optimistic now since the deed is done. But, I wouldn't trust Lane at all.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#77 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted January 14, 2010 - 09:41 AM

Well, you Trojan fans have no choice but to be optimistic now since the deed is done. But, I wouldn't trust Lane at all.

No, I don't need to be optimistic. If I wanted to hate the hire, I would have. Regardless if I hated it, I would still be a fan. If I felt big time sanctions were coming, I wouldn't hide that feeling either.

We'll see how things play out. We have a talented team coming back and a great recruiting class coming in. We are still going to be a force. It seems to me like many are looking at the hiring and not paying attention to talent we have. As of now, the media, other schools and their fans are expecting SC to fail.

I'm totally fine with that. It will make things a lot more fun these next few years.

#78 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,102 posts

Posted January 14, 2010 - 11:48 AM

Looks like Norm is staying put...

ESPN

Offensive coordinator Norm Chow will remain with UCLA next season and will not join Lane Kiffin at USC, his agent tells ESPN.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#79 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted January 14, 2010 - 11:52 AM

Looks like Norm is staying put...

ESPN

There's actually a lot of conflicting reports on that.

There are still reports saying that USC is in negotiations with Chow. Some are saying he is staying put.

REPORTEDLY, he was asking for about 1.8 million per year. We'll see what happens. I would love NC back here at SC but if he stays at Fucla, then thats fine with me too.

#80 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,102 posts

Posted January 14, 2010 - 12:18 PM

This is from scout.com:

Don Yee, the agent for UCLA Offensive Coordinator Norm Chow, told ESPN that Chow will remain at UCLA for next season.
Yee said that talks went no further than one brief contact with USC about the position.

Other sources are indicating that the UCLA administration has worked to enhance Chow's salary package with the school. He was slated to make $640,000 next season, which includes a $250,000 bonus if he's on the coaching staff when spring practice starts.

Rick Neuheisel told Dan Patrick on FoxSports Radio this morning that Chow wasn't leaving UCLA

Pau Gasol is GONE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users