• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#41 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted January 12, 2010 - 11:54 PM

Crazy crazy day. I can say that this has made me so happy that tonight loss to the Spurs doesn't bother me. USC needs to pay Chow the NFL money he wants.

#42 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,151 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 01:10 AM

Yes. But for every coach that goes there, it never turns out good so I really don't count that stint. BTW, I am a Raiders fan lol.

But here are my thoughts on the hiring:

I think its a great hire for USC based on the fact that he is bringing a great staff. Many want to point to him being an idiot and arrogant jerk, but guess what? Pete Carroll was arrogant too. That's what makes coaches succeed. Look at Saban, Meyer, and Miles too.

Kiffin can recruit. And thats the most important thing. He has a swagger to him and USC has lost its swagger the last couple of seasons. He will bring it back to SC.

Coach O is one of the most well respected recruiters in the nation and is an intense coach that coaches with a lot of passion.

Monte Kiffin is a defensive guru and our defense with the talent it has is going to be insane in the next few years.

And the Chow deal is not finalized yet, but if he does end up at SC, the offense is going to be fun to watch again. He hasn't been successful with the Titans or fUCLA, but lets face facts, Titans had Kerry Collins as the QB, and fUCLA doesn't have that much offensive talent. He will inherit an offense with playmakers that he hasn't had since his last stint at SC. I'm most excited to see how he helps Barkley progress, we saw what Chow did with Palmer and Leinart.

Our recruiting class will be one of the top classes in the nation. I am glad to say that because earlier this morning, I was worried about losing commits. Coach O, thirty minutes after the announcement, was already at Heritage Hall watching tapes on recruits. Three players have said their commitment is solid again, Woods, Grimble, and Morgan.

The two recruits that I am keeping an eye on are Kyle Prater (WR) and Dillon Baxter (RB/WR). Those two guys were scared off my Pete leaving, but I think they will come back after the coaches get to them. Prater was actually suppose to meet with Kiffin this weekend at Tennessee ironically for an official visit. Prater may be back as a commit sooner than later.

Well those are my thoughts. I am very excited about the direction of the team.

Fight On!!

something as big as this would probably result in recruits who are still undecided about USC between other schools may come over. Dillon is from California though so he knows lane and Norm if he comes
Posted Image

#43 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted January 13, 2010 - 01:48 AM

Kyle Prater to enroll at USC on Monday.

Late Tuesday, Kyle Prater, ranked the nation's No. 1 receiver and No. 2 overall prospect by Rivals.com, texted Rivals reporter Mike Farrell and said he plans to enroll at USC on Monday. Just this past weekend, Prater canceled his flight to Los Angeles and headed home to suburban Chicago after learning Pete Carroll had bolted Heritage Hall for Seattle. Prater had Tennessee in his final five before he committed to Carroll, so now he gets a program he likes and a coach he likes

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/01/13/kiffin.usc.tennessee/index.html?eref=sihp

It's funny to think yesterday everyone was hoping USC could find a way to salvage what recruits they had left and today it's possible this year's recruiting class can become even better.

#44 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 13, 2010 - 08:44 AM

something as big as this would probably result in recruits who are still undecided about USC between other schools may come over. Dillon is from California though so he knows lane and Norm if he comes

There are rumors of Tenn. recruits coming over with Kiffin to USC. And its some of their best recruits too. Like I said in my post, the coaches are big time recruiters. According to Rivals they had the #9 recruiting class as of last night. And the scary thing about USC's class is the fact that we were #7 and was not close to being done. If we are able to keep this class intact, plus add players from Tennessee, and add players still undecided, I think we end up with the #1 class.

Kyle Prater to enroll at USC on Monday.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/andy_staples/01/13/kiffin.usc.tennessee/index.html?eref=sihp

It's funny to think yesterday everyone was hoping USC could find a way to salvage what recruits they had left and today it's possible this year's recruiting class can become even better.

I post on the wearesc.com message boards and this was the rumor last night, glad to see its true.

Edited by Westcoast21, January 13, 2010 - 08:49 AM.

#45 GP1_KB24

GP1_KB24

Dedication 4.

• 20,198 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Dwight.

Posted January 13, 2010 - 09:24 AM

One word : STUPID! :nah:

5 Letters... 'YMCMB'

Posted Image

#46 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,167 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted January 13, 2010 - 09:39 AM

hmmmm this is soooo surprising to me

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#47 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,476 posts
  • Fan Since:80's
  • Fav. Laker:MAMBA, MAGIC, NICK VAN EXEL

Posted January 13, 2010 - 10:35 AM

I'm trying to remember where Lane had success at... :hmm:
I'm not a USC fan but this isn't the guy i'd want.

2hf753r.jpg

#48 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,103 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 13, 2010 - 10:37 AM

Pau Gasol is GONE

#49 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 10:39 AM

i am going to go ahead and post what I posted on WeAreSC.com in response to someone who said a 7-6 record at Tenn. is something that USC should worry about.

Even though Kiffin doesn't fit the bill of a proven coach. You have to look closer at his coaching stint.

As Raiders head coach, you have to throw that season out. I am a Raiders fan and I know that every coach we have gotten since the Super Bowl has been unsuccessful. Are they bad coaches? No, its because of Al Davis. Simple as that.

And as for the Vols this past season, Kiffin went 7-6 and 4-4 in conference play. He improved the team based on record than the 5-7 and 3-5 in conference play in 2008.

He went in and played Florida tough and had champion Alabama beat if it weren't for a blocked field goal. You can't judge coaches on a first season. Look at Pete Carroll's first season. A coaches success in their first season depended on the type of team they inherit. Kiffin will most likely win 10+ games next season due to the talent he has already at SC and the talent coming in.

The bottom line is he made Tennessee better based on performance. Now he will do more with better talent.

#50 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,476 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 10:41 AM

And now there's talk of Tennessee wanting to get Texas Def. Cord. Will Muschamp. No!!!

2hf753r.jpg

#51 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted January 13, 2010 - 10:58 AM

Lame Kiffin improved Tennessee?

2009 7-6
2008 5-7
2007 10-4
2006 9-4

2005 5-6 (6-6)* Vacated win.
2004 10-3
2003 10-3

2002 8-5
2001 11-2

One off season, and Tennessee goes 1 game over .500 and he improved Tennessee. Keep dreaming.
At the end of the 2007 season, Tennessee had lost their starting QB, basically their whole defense and a lot of WR's. So I don't think Lame improved Tennessee as people may think.

Edited by Owlyness, January 13, 2010 - 11:07 AM.

#52 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,103 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 11:01 AM

i am going to go ahead and post what I posted on WeAreSC.com in response to someone who said a 7-6 record at Tenn. is something that USC should worry about.

Even though Kiffin doesn't fit the bill of a proven coach. You have to look closer at his coaching stint.

As Raiders head coach, you have to throw that season out. I am a Raiders fan and I know that every coach we have gotten since the Super Bowl has been unsuccessful. Are they bad coaches? No, its because of Al Davis. Simple as that.

And as for the Vols this past season, Kiffin went 7-6 and 4-4 in conference play. He improved the team based on record than the 5-7 and 3-5 in conference play in 2008.

He went in and played Florida tough and had champion Alabama beat if it weren't for a blocked field goal. You can't judge coaches on a first season. Look at Pete Carroll's first season. A coaches success in their first season depended on the type of team they inherit. Kiffin will most likely win 10+ games next season due to the talent he has already at SC and the talent coming in.

The bottom line is he made Tennessee better based on performance. Now he will do more with better talent.

I can overlook the Oakland thing because of the owner. But everything else? No. 7-6 and 4-4 is not a success in the SEC. There are higher expectations and going on the supposedly good rep he has as a coach...he should have been able to do better. So he improved the wins by two extra games? Whoop de doo. They got smashed by VT in their bowl game.

How do go to a top program like USC when you failed at Tennessee? After 13 games, you're gone? What about the nine high school recruits who planned to enroll early?

You replace a guy that won a national championship in Fulmer with Kiffin? Yeh, Kiffin did more than Fulmer did. :rolleyes:

Dude's credibility is garbage.

On the December 2008 day he was introduced as Tennessee's head coach, Kiffin told reporters: "I want the Tennessee family to know this: This is what I'm going to give you. I'm rolling my sleeves up and going to work. I'm not promising you how many wins, how many championships. I can't do that ... but I can tell you this right now: No one is going to outwork us. No one is going to outwork me as a head coach and no one is going to outwork our staff that we put together. That's the promise I'm giving you, the wins will come after that."

All seven of them.

Some promise, eh?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#53 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted January 13, 2010 - 11:17 AM

A coaches success in their first season depended on the type of team they inherit.

So if USC wins a championship next year, we can't give ANY credit to Kiffin because he just inherited the team as is. Okay.

#54 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 11:56 AM

Lame Kiffin improved Tennessee?

One off season, and Tennessee goes 1 game over .500 and he improved Tennessee. Keep dreaming.
At the end of the 2007 season, Tennessee had lost their starting QB, basically their whole defense and a lot of WR's. So I don't think Lame improved Tennessee as people may think.

Look, i'm saying on performance. They went head to head with some really good teams and fell short. After the Fulmer ousting, not much was expected from Kiffin the first year. I have friends at UT who told me they expected to have a big time down year. And he exceeded expectations with a lot of fans. Did I say he improved the team greatly? Never. The fact is the players bought into what he was saying. The results just weren't there. The improvement was very slight, but it was improvement none the less.

I can overlook the Oakland thing because of the owner. But everything else? No. 7-6 and 4-4 is not a success in the SEC. There are higher expectations and going on the supposedly good rep he has as a coach...he should have been able to do better. So he improved the wins by two extra games? Whoop de doo. They got smashed by VT in their bowl game.

How do go to a top program like USC when you failed at Tennessee? After 13 games, you're gone? What about the nine high school recruits who planned to enroll early?

You replace a guy that won a national championship in Fulmer with Kiffin? Yeh, Kiffin did more than Fulmer did. :rolleyes:

Dude's credibility is garbage.

I know that 7-6 and 4-4 is not considered a success. It was a average year. But coaches who inherit programs with a losing record the previous season, do not usually become great in their first year. Like I said, Pete Carroll was the same way. He went 6-6 his first year. The year after they got after it.

Don't believe me about the coaches? Look at Nick Saban.

His first year at Alabama, guess what his record was? 7-6 overall and 4-4 in conference. That's interesting.

Saban inherited a team that went 6-7 the previous year (one game improvement). Last season they went 12-2. This season they won the National Championship.

So if USC wins a championship next year, we can't give ANY credit to Kiffin because he just inherited the team as is. Okay.

That's not what I am saying.

Kiffin is inheriting a team that had a winning record and they are already a talented team as it is so he is expected to get this team back to 10+ wins seasons right away. And its actually a very interesting situation with Kiffin taking over because many of the players on the team now, he recruited. For example, Barkley was recruited by Kiffin while he was in 9th grade. Kiffin has ties to the program so its not like he is a brand new coach inheriting new players. He knows what many of these players are about.

Like I told ID above, teams with losing records the previous season, rarely have their new head coach take them to a big improvement. But winning records with talented teams the previous season usually do good.

Another example is Urban Meyer.

He took over in 2005. In 04, Florida went 7-5 and 4-4 in conference. Winning record. Even if it was by two games. In 2005, Meyer led them to a 9-3 record, and 5-3 in conference. Players bought into his program and then proceeded to win the NC in 2007.

My point on all this is that you can't judge coaches on their first year whether its a good record or bad record. Now the expectations, like I said, is that Kiffin gets USC back to a 10 win season right away. This team right now is built for a national title run in 2011. This year is a huge stepping stone leading to next season.

Hope that clears up some things with you two.

Edited by Westcoast21, January 13, 2010 - 12:00 PM.

#55 MAMBA24ILL

MAMBA24ILL

Pray for the bear.

• 9,476 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 12:18 PM

How do you lose your way into better jobs?

2hf753r.jpg

#56 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,103 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 01:02 PM

I know that 7-6 and 4-4 is not considered a success. It was a average year. But coaches who inherit programs with a losing record the previous season, do not usually become great in their first year. Like I said, Pete Carroll was the same way. He went 6-6 his first year. The year after they got after it.

Don't believe me about the coaches? Look at Nick Saban.

His first year at Alabama, guess what his record was? 7-6 overall and 4-4 in conference. That's interesting.

Saban inherited a team that went 6-7 the previous year (one game improvement). Last season they went 12-2. This season they won the National Championship.

That's not what I am saying.

Kiffin is inheriting a team that had a winning record and they are already a talented team as it is so he is expected to get this team back to 10+ wins seasons right away. And its actually a very interesting situation with Kiffin taking over because many of the players on the team now, he recruited. For example, Barkley was recruited by Kiffin while he was in 9th grade. Kiffin has ties to the program so its not like he is a brand new coach inheriting new players. He knows what many of these players are about.

Like I told ID above, teams with losing records the previous season, rarely have their new head coach take them to a big improvement. But winning records with talented teams the previous season usually do good.

Another example is Urban Meyer.

He took over in 2005. In 04, Florida went 7-5 and 4-4 in conference. Winning record. Even if it was by two games. In 2005, Meyer led them to a 9-3 record, and 5-3 in conference. Players bought into his program and then proceeded to win the NC in 2007.

My point on all this is that you can't judge coaches on their first year whether its a good record or bad record. Now the expectations, like I said, is that Kiffin gets USC back to a 10 win season right away. This team right now is built for a national title run in 2011. This year is a huge stepping stone leading to next season.

Hope that clears up some things with you two.

You can't compare Lane to two of the greatest coaches in college football. The difference is that Nick was a success at LSU before Alabama. Nick stayed and won, Lane hasn't accomplished anything at any level.

Urban Meyer went 8-3 in his first season at Bowling Green...the next year? 9-3. First year at Utah? 10-2.

2004 he went undefeated with Utah (12-0)

Pau Gasol is GONE

#57 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 01:16 PM

You can't compare Lane to two of the greatest coaches in college football. The difference is that Nick was a success at LSU before Alabama. Nick stayed and won, Lane hasn't accomplished anything at any level.

Urban Meyer went 8-3 in his first season at Bowling Green...the next year? 9-3. First year at Utah? 10-2.

2004 he went undefeated with Utah (12-0)

Let me see if you understand me now.

I am not, repeat, I am not comparing Kiffin to the coaching skill levels of those two men. I am simply giving an example backing up my points about coaches not fairing well in their first season unless they inherit a good team.

This is going to be my last post in this thread. I am not going to keep going back and forth with you since you can't comprehend the simplicity of my point.

I am in favor of the hire not because of Kiffin, but because of the staff that is coming along. Here's a quote I found in an article. Its from a rival AD:

A rival athletic director had this to say on USC's hiring of Lane Kiffin: ``If they get Norm Chow plus Ed Orgeron and Monte Kiffin, Winnie the Pooh could be the head coach.''

I'm 110% for the hiring. Even it was the worst possible candidate like a Karl Dorell, I would still be behind it 110% because I am a Trojan at heart. And I will always support the program in whatever it decides to do.

Fight On!!

#58 JD

JD

Just an Old Relic

• 967 posts
  • Location:Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted January 13, 2010 - 01:42 PM

:laughing:

Lane Kiffin?

:laughing:

usc will be looking for a new coach within 3 years. Book it.

zombies.jpg

#59 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,103 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 02:13 PM

3 years? That's generous of you.

And the players who he recruited to Tennessee can't transfer.

USC got desperate because they couldn't get Jack Del Rio and some of their other first choices. Lane Kiffin is disloyal...not a good move at all.

What rival AD said that? Does it even matter?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#60 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,409 posts

Posted January 13, 2010 - 02:32 PM

3 years? That's generous of you.

And the players who he recruited to Tennessee can't transfer.

USC got desperate because they couldn't get Jack Del Rio and some of their other first choices. Lane Kiffin is disloyal...not a good move at all.

What rival AD said that? Does it even matter?

Said I wasn't going to post again in this thread, but you're a little misinformed my friend.

First off, the recruits can transfer. National signing day isn't until Feb. 3rd so recruits can do what ever they want until they signed on the dotted line.

Secondly, USC did not get desperate. My friend in the athletic department said the Jack Del Rio "candidacy" was not real to begin with. He was never offered by SC and I made the mistake of posting the rumor I found from a journalist. Mike Riley was a possible choice, but was again never offered a contract by SC. The reported targets of SC were all smoke and mirrors. The two real candidates were Kiffin and Sarkisian, both recommended by Pete Caroll. That's first hand info and is 100% true.

Many may feel that Lane Kiffin is unloyal, and thats fine because every SC hater feels that way. But the fact is he is loyal to SC and this was the only job he would have left Tennessee for. He told the AD at Tenn. on Saturday that he would be interested in the SC job if it was offered to him and what do you know, he got it.

Lastly I am not sure what AD said it, or else I would have posted the name. It doesn't matter really, just an interesting quote to throw out there. All the SC haters are not in favor of the hire. 90% of Trojan fans are in favor of it, and present and past Trojans are 100% in favor of it.

All that matters are the results on the field come next season, so you just have to wait and see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users