Photo

Adding .srt subtitles to a .mp4 video???

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sako32

Sako32

LIKE A ROLLING STONE

• 1,217 posts
  • Name:Sako
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, & Bynum

Posted December 22, 2009 - 01:13 AM

I want to do it without losing any quality from the video. How do i do it???

Posted Image

#2 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted December 27, 2009 - 09:47 AM

If you want to hardsub it directly into the mp4 file, then it's impossible to do it without losing quality. You can't hardsub without re-encoding (and with re-encoding comes quality loss). To hardsub it, there's virtualdubmod and avisynth. Just google something like "hardsub mp4" and you should find some site that will walk you through the process. I haven't done it in a while, but there might be even easier ways because vdubmod and avisynth is a [expletive] to work with. Google is your friend.

Another way to do it is to use a container format, like mkv, that will basically combine the mp4 and srt into one file, but still keeps them separate so that there is no loss of quality.

#3 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted April 29, 2010 - 11:47 AM

On a mac, I use ffmpegx or submerge. For .mkv, there is an app call MKVTools. It takes the audio, video and subs form MKVs and puts them in separate files. It also re-encodes to mp4 or avi formats. It can hardsub when it re-encodes also.

There is literally no way to hardsub without re-encoding...it's the very definition of re-encoding because it is integrate new video over the main video layer. Sorry.

If you don't want to re-encode, I suggest placing everything in the MKV container/format. That's your best bet.

Also, ffmpegx gives you an option of 3-pass encoding which can get you to near original quality. It also offers a host of other options like deblocking, de-interlace, denoise,...et cetera.

Good luck and I'm sorry that I couldn't be more helpful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users