Tiger Woods voted top athlete of the decade

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 26,997 posts

Posted December 16, 2009 - 09:00 AM

Even after a shocking sex scandal that tarnished Tiger Woods, it was tough to ignore what he achieved on the golf course.

He won 64 times around the world, including 12 majors, and hoisted a trophy on every continent golf is played. He lost only one time with the lead going into the final round. His 56 PGA Tour victories in one incomparable decade were more than anyone except four of golf's greatest players won in their careers.

Woods was selected Wednesday as the Athlete of the Decade by members of The Associated Press in a vote that was more about 10 years of performance than nearly three weeks of salacious headlines.

Just like so many of his victories, it wasn't much of a contest.

Woods received 56 of the 142 votes cast by AP member editors since last month. More than half of the ballots were returned after the Nov. 27 car accident outside his Florida home that set off sensational tales of infidelity.

Lance Armstrong, a cancer survivor who won the Tour de France six times this decade, finished second with 33 votes. He was followed by Roger Federer, who won more Grand Slam singles titles than any other man, with 25 votes.

Record-setting Olympic swimmer Michael Phelps came in fourth with 13 votes, followed by New England quarterback Tom Brady (6) and sprinter Usain Bolt (4). Five other athletes received one vote apiece.

Woods, who has not been seen since the accident and has issued only three statements on his Web site, was not made available to comment about the award.

Few other athletes have changed their sport quite like Woods. His influence has been so powerful that TV ratings spiked whenever he played, even more when he has been in contention. Prize money has quadrupled since he joined the PGA Tour because of his broad appeal.

A new image emerged quickly in the days following his middle-of-the-night accident, when he ran his SUV over a fire hydrant and into a tree. He became the butt of late-night TV jokes, eventually confessed that he "let my family down" with "transgressions" and lost a major sponsorship from Accenture.

Even so, AP members found his work on the golf course over the last 10 years without much of a blemish. Woods took an early lead in balloting, and continued to receive roughly the same percentage of votes throughout the process.

"Despite the tsunami of negative publicity that will likely tarnish his image, there's no denying that Woods' on-the-course accomplishments set a new standard of dominance within his sport while making golf more accessible to the masses," wrote Stu Whitney, sports editor of the Sioux Falls (S.D.) Argus Leader.

CONTINUE READING

#2 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,503 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 16, 2009 - 10:59 AM

interesting...didn't think i'd hear his name in any positive light anytime soon

Posted Image

#3 BeeZee

BeeZee

Reigning Purple & Gold

• 5,869 posts
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Horry, Van Exel

Posted December 16, 2009 - 11:04 AM

Well deserved, too.

Bleeding purple & gold...

#4 Simba

Simba

Too Clutch

• 4,255 posts
  • Name:Jeet
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Westbrook

Posted December 16, 2009 - 11:08 AM

Yeah he deserves it without doubt despite all these current problems. I'm glad to see those issues didnt have an impact on this decision.

Posted Image

#5 Laker Guard

Laker Guard

Rookie

• 525 posts

Posted December 16, 2009 - 06:21 PM

Good for him, besides this scandal, he is amazing.

#6 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 26,997 posts

Posted December 19, 2009 - 10:54 AM

He also just recently got voted for PGA player of the year.

(CNN) -- Despite his personal problems, golfer Tiger Woods received another accolade as he was voted PGA player of the year.

Wood was chosen for the award by a vote from other professional golfers.

"The recognition by [his] peers is one of the highest compliments a PGA Tour member can receive," PGA Commissioner Timothy Finchem said in a press statement Friday.

#7 LA Forever

LA Forever

All-Star

• 6,790 posts

Posted December 19, 2009 - 11:17 AM

The award is well deserved. The award has nothing to do with his personal life. Now if there was a Husband of the Decade,
then that would be a different story.

#8 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,998 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 23, 2009 - 05:45 PM

Yeh, driving that golf cart from hole to hole is so demanding.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#9 Laker Guard

Laker Guard

Rookie

• 525 posts

Posted December 23, 2009 - 10:57 PM

Yeh, driving that golf cart from hole to hole is so demanding.

wut

they walk

Edited by Laker Guard, December 23, 2009 - 10:58 PM.

#10 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,309 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted December 28, 2009 - 09:17 AM

Serious?
How do you figure? And for the record I dont care about his personal private life issues when it comes to his golf achievements and abilities. He's obviously the best at what he does.
I just have a problem with calling a golfer the top "athlete".
What about Olympians like Micheal Phelps or Usian Bolt? Or boxers like Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather? Those guys were in TOP physical condition. What about Peyton Manning? Ladanian Tomlinson? Tom Brady? What about KB24? Its hard to deny the fact that these guys are not only succsesful but super athletes in their prime.
What about Jimmie Johnson in NASCAR? Nobody currently has won 4 consecutive Championships in their respective sports but him. And hes likely to go for 5 next year.
What about Lance Armstrong, a cancer survivor who won the Tour de France six times this decade?
How about Roger Federer who won more Grand Slam singles titles than any other man.

Tiger = greatest golfer of the decade, but not greatest athlete. The AP shows again that anything they vote on cant be taken seriously. As great as Tiger is at golf 95% of a golf tourney is him cruising around on the cart thats driven by someone else while his caddie carried around his clubs. It takes tremendous muscle memory, commitment and dedication to perfect a golf swing. But in my opinion that doesnt mean your a true athlete in comparrison to the people I listed above.

Well deserved, too.

Edited by LakersGAFan, December 28, 2009 - 09:20 AM.

#11 JohnMcCartney

JohnMcCartney

Rookie

• 691 posts
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted February 19, 2010 - 08:45 AM

i agree with LakersGAFan. Tiger sucks

#12 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,309 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted March 10, 2010 - 01:36 PM

I never said he sucks. Hes the most talented golfer on the planet and if you ever tried to play 18 holes with par 5's you'd know how awesome he is. I just dont think he's Athlete of the Decade material cuzz golf is not as physically demanding in comparrison. Hence 75 year old geezers play great golf.

i agree with LakersGAFan. Tiger sucks

#13 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,998 posts

Posted March 10, 2010 - 01:38 PM

Serious?
How do you figure? And for the record I dont care about his personal private life issues when it comes to his golf achievements and abilities. He's obviously the best at what he does.
What about Olympians like Micheal Phelps or Usian Bolt? Or boxers like Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather? Those guys were in TOP physical condition. What about Peyton Manning? Ladanian Tomlinson? Tom Brady? What about KB24? Its hard to deny the fact that these guys are not only succsesful but super athletes in their prime.
What about Jimmie Johnson in NASCAR? Nobody currently has won 4 consecutive Championships in their respective sports but him. And hes likely to go for 5 next year.
What about Lance Armstrong, a cancer survivor who won the Tour de France six times this decade?
How about Roger Federer who won more Grand Slam singles titles than any other man.

Tiger = greatest golfer of the decade, but not greatest athlete. The AP shows again that anything they vote on cant be taken seriously. As great as Tiger is at golf 95% of a golf tourney is him cruising around on the cart thats driven by someone else while his caddie carried around his clubs. It takes tremendous muscle memory, commitment and dedication to perfect a golf swing. But in my opinion that doesnt mean your a true athlete in comparrison to the people I listed above.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#14 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted March 23, 2010 - 02:15 PM

Serious?

I wouldn't say the AP shows that they can't be taken seriously.
Just because Golf, in your eyes isn't physically demanding (as other sports), ask Tiger, because you're wrong. Tiger is the best at his sport, how can you say he isn't the top athlete? 12 Major wins that's including a win after his father died. Try that on for size.
Don't downplay golf because you rather see someone else win it, in a sport that most Americans watch.

As for football players, and Basketball players all that depends on how successful your team is with you.

Lance Armstrong hasn't rode in the tour for 3 years this decade (he did this year, and came in 3rd), how can you deem him the top athlete of the decade (same thing as why Lebron can't be top of the decade)

Tennis, I can agree with you since it does depend on your individual strength, discipline and talents.
In my opinion, it would be a tossup between Federer and Tiger.

Edited by Owlyness, March 23, 2010 - 02:25 PM.

#15 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 42,998 posts

Posted March 23, 2010 - 02:42 PM

Just because Golf, in your eyes isn't physically demanding (as other sports)

It isn't.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#16 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted March 23, 2010 - 08:05 PM

Good thing Tiger won Top (or Best) Athlete of the decade... not most athletic.

#17 Instigator

Instigator

Hall Of Fame

• 9,003 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted June 07, 2010 - 05:04 AM

Kobe should have won

#18 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,462 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 07:32 AM

tiger woods also won the top PLAYA PLAYA award of the decade

bw1wOGf.png

#19 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,581 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted June 07, 2010 - 10:59 AM

I do beleive golf is a serious sport. But the top athlete of the decade? I'm not too sure about that.
Posted Image

#20 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,462 posts

Posted June 07, 2010 - 11:30 AM

i would give to like a tennis player

bw1wOGf.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users