Police: Titans' Vince Young Talked of SUICIDE To Therapist

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted September 12, 2008 - 08:17 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3584636

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans called police for help searching for Vince Young because his therapist told coach Jeff Fisher the quarterback mentioned suicide several times before driving away from his home with a gun.

Both Fisher and Young have said what happened Monday night was overblown by the media. But the supplemental report filed Tuesday by Nashville police showed that Fisher was worried what his quarterback might be doing after the call from Young's therapist.

"I asked him, 'What made her worry about him?' " Lt. Andrea Swisher wrote. "He stated, 'His mood, his emotions, he wants to quit, and he mentioned suicide several times.' He went on to state that he left the house with a gun."

The Titans declined to comment on details of the report. On Tuesday, the team issued a statement saying police had been called over concern for Young but those concerns were unfounded.

"Last night, we received a call from people that are closest to Vince informing us that he had left his house in a state of mind that had them concerned; and that he was unreachable, having left his cell phone at the house," it said. "Not having all the facts available to us and approaching the matter prudently, we contacted Metro Police to make them aware of the situation and asked for their assistance in locating Vince. He was located at a friend's house, where we made contact with him. He then came to the practice facility where it was determined that those initial concerns by his friends and family were unfounded and he returned home without incident."

ESPN obtained a copy of the report on Friday.

The Titans' head of security notified police around 7:30 p.m. that he had a player "going off," and Fisher was in his truck when he saw Nashville police writing a report on a separate incident.

Young's manager, Mike Mu, told police he had tried to follow Young when the quarterback left his home. But Mu said he couldn't keep up with Young on Interstate 65 despite driving 90 mph.

Fisher connected police with Young's therapist, Sheila Peters, a clinical psychologist who had met with Young earlier Monday. It was then that Young used the word suicide in conversations with her.

During the search for Young, Peters arranged for an evaluation by employees from a psychiatric hospital in Nashville. Then Fisher heard from Young's agent that the quarterback was safe and at an apartment with a female friend.

The agent, Major Adams, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that Young had been watching football and eating chicken wings with a male friend during the four hours people were searching for the quarterback.

Police arranged for crisis negotiators and SWAT officers to be on hand. They searched Young for weapons when he arrived at the Titans' headquarters around 11:30 p.m. They only found an unloaded handgun in the glovebox of his Mercedes.

Tennessee law allows an individual to possess an unloaded weapon provided there is no ammunition with it in the car.

"He was allowed to talk to his therapist and then he was released," the police report stated.

:bow: I hope he gets better man, seriously.

#2 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted September 12, 2008 - 08:21 PM

i feel bad for the guy, honestly.

#3 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 12, 2008 - 08:34 PM

Man I loved VY when he was at Texas. I hope he's okay

Posted Image

"To whom much is given much is tested."

#4 Kellz

Kellz

Kellz comin back to TLN

• 2,055 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Trevor Ariza

Posted September 12, 2008 - 08:44 PM

Please get some help
to young talented to do
something stupid like that
R.I.P. Michael Jackson King Of Pop
1958-2009

Glad i left lakerground, and even happier im a member at Lakers Nation
TLN FTW!!!!!

All Hail the King of R&B, R. Kelly

#5 The Original 81

The Original 81

TLN Rep: New York

• 323 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 12, 2008 - 08:46 PM

Damn, might be more serious than expected.

I hope he feels better, he could be a good QB in this league. Get well VY.

#6 A_V_R

A_V_R

A firm disbeliever in your punch clock promise

• 394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted September 12, 2008 - 08:50 PM

whoa, this transcends sports. someone help this guy out

#7 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted September 13, 2008 - 05:45 AM

Damn, he's had all the off-season to relax and now after one game he's depressed, maybe he SHOULD retire.
Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#8 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,824 posts

Posted September 13, 2008 - 09:30 AM

poor guy, too much pressure and media hovering over him

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users