Figgins, Mariners finalize $36M, 4-year deal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,044 posts

Posted December 08, 2009 - 07:09 PM

INDIANAPOLIS – Chone Figgins is moving to the Seattle Mariners — and perhaps a new position.

The former Los Angeles Angels sparkplug finalized his $36 million, four-year contract with Seattle on Tuesday, a deal that includes a vesting option for 2014 that could make it worth $45 million over five years.

Figgins, however, might not necessarily replace free-agent slugger Adrian Beltre at third base.

"He's open to playing anywhere in the infield," Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik said. "There's still some moving parts here. You know, at the end, if he's our third baseman, we'll be very happy."

The 31-year-old Figgins was primarily a third baseman in each of his last three seasons with the Angels. But he has played 113 major league games at second base and 27 at shortstop.

"They still have to make some decisions," Figgins said by telephone Tuesday night, adding that his conversation with Zduriencik left him figuring he would probably play second base if not third.

Mariners second baseman Jose Lopez, an All-Star in 2006, batted .272 with 25 homers, 96 RBIs and 42 doubles this year. But he walked only 24 times in 653 plate appearances and finished with a .303 on-base percentage.

Figgins, a diminutive speedster, hit .298 with five homers and 54 RBIs as Los Angeles won its third consecutive AL West title. Beltre had 25 or 26 homers in three straight seasons before dropping to eight this year during an injury-plagued campaign.

"Everybody in baseball would love to have three-run homers," Zduriencik said. "We'd love to have power. I mean, there's no question about it. I think we've had some discussions about acquiring power. Where that takes you, we'll see."

#2 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,095 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted December 08, 2009 - 07:16 PM

so long Figgy

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#3 JRG_24

JRG_24

Starter

• 5,259 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ron Artest

Posted December 08, 2009 - 07:20 PM

Good Riddance! He really dissapointed me in the playoffs, so Im not tottally bummed on losing this guy.

What I am gonna miss though, is his speed. Look for Bobby Abreu to be the leadoff man. Him, or Aybar.

#4 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted December 09, 2009 - 02:30 PM

Good riddance indeed. Never did [expletive] in the playoffs where & when it matters most.

#5 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 14, 2009 - 06:44 PM

Just found out we got Cliff Lee, nice for my Mariners! Him and Figgins ownnnnn.

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#6 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 17, 2009 - 05:56 PM

Posted Image

Lee, your next. :rock:

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users