Photo

Done deal, Yanks aquire Curtis Granderson..

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,073 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 08, 2009 - 02:22 PM

The New York Yankees, Arizona Diamondbacks and Detroit Tigers are on the verge of the first major trade of baseball's winter meetings, a deal that would send Tigers outfielder Curtis Granderson to New York, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

In the trade, the Diamondbacks would obtain Edwin Jackson and Ian Kennedy, while the Tigers will pick up Max Scherzer, Daniel Schlereth, Phil Coke and outfield prospect Austin Jackson.

The speedy Granderson would displace Melky Cabrera as center fielder on the Yankees. Cabrera, a 25-year-old switch-hitter, batted .274 last season with 13 homers, 68 RBIs and 10 steals. He could shift to left, depending on whether New York re-signs Johnny Damon or designated hitter Hideki Matsui. In return, the Tigers would get a hard thrower in Scherzer and a well-regarded prospect in Austin Jackson, while the Diamondbacks get a pair of starting pitchers in Edwin Jackson and Kennedy.

Granderson, a left-handed batter, was a first-time All-Star last season, when he had 30 homers, 71 RBIs and 20 steals. His batting average has dropped from .302 in 2007 to .280 in 2008 to .249 last year.

Detroit, which failed to make the playoffs following a late-season slide, may be looking to cut payroll after a big attendance drop this year at Comerica Park. Granderson is owed $5.5 million next year, $8.25 million in 2011 and $10 million in 2012, and his contract includes a $13 million club option for 2013 with a $2 million buyout.

Kennedy, who turns 25 on Dec. 19, impressed when he came up from the minors at the end of the 2007 season, going 1-0 with a 1.89 ERA in three starts. But he struggled with injuries in each of the last two seasons.

He strained a muscle near his right ribcage and had bursitis in his right shoulder blade in 2008, when he was 0-4 with an 8.17 ERA in nine starts and one relief appearance. He pitched in just one big league game this year, when he was sidelined by surgery May 12 to remove an aneurysm from beneath his right biceps.

Coke was 4-3 with a 4.50 ERA in 72 relief appearances. While he pitched 1 1/3 scoreless innings in the AL playoffs, he gave up two runs over 1 1-3 innings in the World Series.

Austin Jackson, 22, is considered one of the Yankees' top prospects. He hit .300 last season at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre with 23 doubles, four homers, 65 RBIs and 24 steals.

Scherzer, the 11th overall pick in the 2006 amateur draft, is a 25-year-old righty who went 9-11 with a 4.12 ERA in 30 starts for Arizona last season, striking out 174 in 170 1-3 innings.

Schlereth, a 23-year-old lefty, was the 26th pick in the 2008 amateur draft. He made his major league debut this year and went 1-4 with a 5.89 ERA in 21 relief appearances with 22 strikeouts in 18 1/3 innings. He is the son of former NFL offensive lineman and current ESPN football analyst Mark Schlereth.

SOURCE

Edited by erik, December 08, 2009 - 03:28 PM.

#2 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted December 08, 2009 - 02:26 PM

So much for the rumors to Angels, don't know if they will keep Damon now but with his defense and power the Yanks just got even better.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#3 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,073 posts

Posted December 08, 2009 - 02:42 PM

So much for the rumors to Angels, don't know if they will keep Damon now but with his defense and power the Yanks just got even better.

i heard about the granderson to the angels rumors too. guess it's not happening. and i think they're keeping damon, since they only have 2 decent outfielders right now in melky cabrera and nick swisher, and i don't think either of those 2 is a full time player. so trading for granderson plus re-signing damon, they could just rotate the other outfield spot between cabrera and swisher. this granderson guy isn't the best hitter average wise, but he hits for power and is a speedy guy. good pick up.

#4 JRG_24

JRG_24

Starter

• 5,259 posts
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ron Artest

Posted December 08, 2009 - 02:52 PM

Done Deal...
http://baseball.real...s_in_three_way/

[expletive]. Tony Reagins needs to be as aggressive as the Yankees GM. That guy is relentless! He just made them better

#5 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,455 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted December 08, 2009 - 03:12 PM

Book it Yankees back to back to back world series next years
Posted Image

#6 Simba

Simba

Too Clutch

• 4,255 posts
  • Name:Jeet
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Westbrook

Posted December 08, 2009 - 04:11 PM

On behalf of many people out there, [expletive] you Yankees. I love Granderson though, like the Yankees needed more firepower.

Posted Image

#7 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,073 posts

Posted December 08, 2009 - 04:34 PM

i just wish the dodger management was this aggressive when it comes to signing players or trading for someone this off season. we need some damn pitching and we haven't done [expletive] about it.

#8 S.Kobe.1080

S.Kobe.1080

Mark Ingram for Heisman

• 1,075 posts
  • Name:Justin
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Odom

Posted December 08, 2009 - 06:42 PM

Don't really know any of the guys the Tigers got besides Coke. Jackson had a nice year for the Tigers last year and Kennedy should be nice. I've always been a Granderson fan, so nice to see him on the Yanks.

Posted Image

#9 Laker Guard

Laker Guard

Rookie

• 525 posts

Posted December 09, 2009 - 10:25 PM

Well there goes Damon, but it looks like the Yankees got better.

#10 Eternal

Eternal

Waiting For The End

• 1,245 posts

Posted December 12, 2009 - 07:14 PM

Well there goes Damon, but it looks like the Yankees got better.

Why does that mean they automatically lose Damon? Damon was playing LF for the Yankees.

They still need to upgrade their pitching. To me their pitching is still a weak spot. If they get Halladay, then I'll book them for a WS.

#11 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,455 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted December 12, 2009 - 11:14 PM

Why does that mean they automatically lose Damon? Damon was playing LF for the Yankees.

They still need to upgrade their pitching. To me their pitching is still a weak spot. If they get Halladay, then I'll book them for a WS.

I don't know didn't the Yankees just win a WS this past year with the pitching they have :hmm:
Posted Image

#12 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,356 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted December 12, 2009 - 11:39 PM

I don't know didn't the Yankees just win a WS this past year with the pitching they have :hmm:

Yeah but it doesn't mean they will win it again next year. That being said, the Yankees will still probably be the frontrunners to win it next year.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#13 Eternal

Eternal

Waiting For The End

• 1,245 posts

Posted December 13, 2009 - 08:35 PM

Yes they did win the WS this year, but their pitching wasn't exactly great besides Mariano during the WS and Sabathia being solid. Other then that their starting pitching is pretty weak, with Burnett being as inconsistent as he is.

I don't look at any baseball team though and book them for the WS. It's more about who's hot during the playoff run more then any other sport.

I definitely can't see them missing the playoffs though.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users