SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted September 12, 2008 - 02:05 PM

Has anyone updated to iTunes 8 yet?
I just did, and let me tell you... it's a thing of beauty.

Genius Playlists
Meet Genius: a brilliant way to create perfect playlists. Play a song, click the Genius button, and iTunes creates a playlist of other songs from your library that go great together. Genius playlists help you discover songs in your library you never knew you had â‚€ and rediscover forgotten favorites.

Genius Sidebar
While you reacquaint yourself with the music you already own, let Genius introduce you to new music youâ‚„ll love. As you select songs in your library, the Genius sidebar displays songs from the iTunes Store that go great with it. The Genius sidebar wonâ‚„t recommend songs already in your library, and you can preview and buy recommended songs directly from the sidebar.

Grid View
See your iTunes library in a new way. Select Albums in Grid View and iTunes 8 displays your entire music library using cover art. Select Artists, Genres, or Composers and iTunes automatically creates groups of albums based on your selection. Simply skim across a group to see the albums inside, and start playing an album with a single click. Movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks look great in Grid View, too.

HD TV Shows
Purchase select episodes of your favorite TV shows in high definition for just $2.99. Or get the whole season in HD with a Season Pass. And when you buy HD, iTunes doubles your viewing pleasure: You also get an iPod-ready version with a file size and resolution that's ideal for smaller screens.

Enhanced Accessibility
iTunes 8 is now screen reader friendly on both Mac and PC. Manage your iTunes library using VoiceOver in Mac OS X Leopard or Window-Eyes for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Or use your screen reader to purchase or download content from the iTunes Store â‚€ including iTunes U.

LINK
I'm absolutely loving the genius playlists, as well as the grid view with album art.

Edited by SaintNicholasVanExel, September 12, 2008 - 02:15 PM.

#2 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted September 12, 2008 - 02:12 PM

just got the update thing right now..

#3 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted September 12, 2008 - 03:05 PM

I'm updating it right now. :D I always check no for Safari but sometimes it downloads it anyway so I have to always uninstall it. Hopefully it doesn't download it this time.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#4 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,273 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 12, 2008 - 03:09 PM

Yeh it's pretty cool.

I put that Genius thing on my ipod touch

Posted Image

"To whom much is given much is tested."

#5 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts

Posted September 12, 2008 - 03:52 PM

This looks all confusing now. :D Is there any way to go back to the regular layout?
Never mind figured it all out. :lol:

Edited by 泉 こなた, September 12, 2008 - 03:53 PM.

Posted Image
Team Farmar

#6 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,425 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 15, 2008 - 12:06 PM

Personally I can't stand programs doing the suggested viewing or listening thing. TIVO has the same thing, it winds up being just a covert advertising tool more than anything else.

I turned that thing off a.s.a.p.

The cover views look slick and all, but you can't play individual tracks from the album cover view, rendering it halfway pointless. You still can't drag tracks within a playlist to re-arrange them once they're in the initial order. When you make a list you;'re stuck with it (outside of the clicking the top bar to play by album or artist. Separate track control within that list is still absent after all these updates.

Above all, the library function is still just useless for me. I have 80,000 music files and using the iTunes library to manage it is pointless. Its much easier to simply leave the drive's window open and play files from there.

I guess I'm picky because there hasn't been a player yet that I thought performed well or had the functions I want (Winamp, Music Match, iTunes, etc.).

#7 hype

hype

says hi!

• 3,739 posts

Posted September 15, 2008 - 05:57 PM

I downloaded it for my desktop and I'm not sure about the new way of managing files, like fido said. It looks pretty nice (but not too nice since I don't haev a lot of album art) but the old interface was more convenient for rummaging thru your library and playing music. I haven't tried Genius because my desktop doesn't have internet but I think it should remedy this problem somewhat, you'd hear similar music without having to look for it I guess. It should be a good alternate to shuffle, but I rarely put my music on shuffle anyway.

However, the new way of seeing albums by artists is pretty nice. The "album artist" feature makes sense now.

You still can't drag tracks within a playlist to re-arrange them once they're in the initial order. When you make a list you;'re stuck with it (outside of the clicking the top bar to play by album or artist. Separate track control within that list is still absent after all these updates.\

What do you mean? You can change the track order on playlists you create, just click on the track number icon.

#8 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts

Posted September 15, 2008 - 06:03 PM

Personally I can't stand programs doing the suggested viewing or listening thing. TIVO has the same thing, it winds up being just a covert advertising tool more than anything else.

I turned that thing off a.s.a.p.

The cover views look slick and all, but you can't play individual tracks from the album cover view, rendering it halfway pointless. You still can't drag tracks within a playlist to re-arrange them once they're in the initial order. When you make a list you;'re stuck with it (outside of the clicking the top bar to play by album or artist. Separate track control within that list is still absent after all these updates.

Above all, the library function is still just useless for me. I have 80,000 music files and using the iTunes library to manage it is pointless. Its much easier to simply leave the drive's window open and play files from there.

I guess I'm picky because there hasn't been a player yet that I thought performed well or had the functions I want (Winamp, Music Match, iTunes, etc.).

Holy crap.

Posted Image
Team Farmar

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users