Question about old CDs and playing them on the PC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,044 posts

Posted November 29, 2009 - 11:35 AM

Sooo I was trying to pop in Mariah Carey's Christmas CD into the CD Drive to listen and burn some stuff for someone and it wouldn't really do anything at all. Considering this CD came out in 1994, does that have anything to do with as to why it won't play or anything on my PC? Other CDs work fine, like the ones from 1999. Just thought it was weird. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the CD. Plays fine in my stereo thing...

#2 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,395 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted November 30, 2009 - 07:59 AM

Sooo I was trying to pop in Mariah Carey's Christmas CD into the CD Drive to listen and burn some stuff for someone and it wouldn't really do anything at all. Considering this CD came out in 1994, does that have anything to do with as to why it won't play or anything on my PC? Other CDs work fine, like the ones from 1999. Just thought it was weird. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the CD. Plays fine in my stereo thing...

Actually there are laser encryption differences in CD's.
Thats why years ago certain brands of blank cd's seem to respond better on one pc rather than another of a different manufacturer.

In 94 Mariah was signed to Sony/Columbia and her "regular released records" would be manufactured by Sony.
But at the time Sonys policy for "Special Projects" (like a Christmas CD) would be manufactured by third party companies such as Denon Digital or BMG. This was because at the time CD's were selling high volums (pre MP3) and it was the way major labels could keep the release dates/manufacturing and drop dates in line for their 5000 scheduled artist releases.

A perfect example is when people buy blank DVD's as DVD+, DVD- ,or DVD+/- because there is encryption differences.
Same thing with music but its actually #'s and frequency %'s that lasers reading the encryption can have problems with if to low or high.

So its possible your M/C Xmas CD (great album btw) was manufactured at a lower or higher encryption % than what your computer reads. It doesnt happen much. But it happens from time to time because of the way computer companies buy parts from so many different countries.
And odds are if you bought the same CD today and used it in the same PC it would probably work fine. lol.

#3 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,044 posts

Posted November 30, 2009 - 10:30 AM

Definitely not going out to buy the same CD haha. It's not a life or death situation or anything, I just thought it was weird though I'm not all that surprised lol. Thanks for the information!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users