Photo

is AVG Anti Viruis Any Good

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 JD

JD

Just an Old Relic

• 967 posts
  • Location:Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe and Magic

Posted December 10, 2009 - 12:41 PM

Good tip. Try this, AVG free, & spybot. I use those three on my work Laptop & i have no issues.

My exact same setup, though I've used Ad-Aware also, at times.

Sometimes AVG will show false positives, but ALL anti-virus programs do. Grisoft (makers of AVG) also have a forums section, which are up-to-date. Its a widely used program and fixes come fast.

My computers haven't ever been infected with a virus, since I started using it... and that includes the desktop, which is primarily used by my kids (and they'll click on most anything).

zombies.jpg

#22 JD

JD

Just an Old Relic

• 967 posts
  • Location:Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death…
  • Fan Since:1980

Posted December 10, 2009 - 12:48 PM

Yeah the new version of AVG Free isn't nearly as good as it was several years ago. It uses more resources now and slows down computer.

Not sure if you're talking about version 8 or 9 (which just came out). But, 9 has sped up the process of scanning and I don't hardly notice it, when its scanning (only reason I do, is because it pops up with the message saying scan is starting).

v9 is far superior to v8, which in my opinion sucked and almost ended up being a reason to ditch it.

zombies.jpg

#23 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,313 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted December 10, 2009 - 01:14 PM

I'd recommend Nod 32 4.0. Only a 30 day trial is available to download, but it's all good. Just have to reinstall in after the trial expires, lol. 

#24 Eternal

Eternal

Waiting For The End

• 1,245 posts

Posted December 13, 2009 - 09:59 PM

Not sure if you're talking about version 8 or 9 (which just came out). But, 9 has sped up the process of scanning and I don't hardly notice it, when its scanning (only reason I do, is because it pops up with the message saying scan is starting).

v9 is far superior to v8, which in my opinion sucked and almost ended up being a reason to ditch it.

True v9 is far superior, but it's still not as good as Microsoft Essentials IMO.

#25 LakerFanInOmaha!

LakerFanInOmaha!

Rookie

• 1,160 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted December 23, 2009 - 07:02 AM

I have been using Norton AntiVirus Gaming Edition 2009 and it works awesome!! Very light on your computer resources too. The best Norton one out I think. Worth the 39.99 price.
2009 NBA Champions!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users