HELLO HUMANS: DROID BY MOTOROLA ARRIVES NEXT WEEK
Verizon Wireless DROID By Motorola: World’s First Smartphone with Android™ 2.0
LAUREL, MD – High-speed Web browsing, voice-activated search,customizable large screen, access to thousands of Android applicationsand hundreds of widgets and the best 3G mobile network in the country:DROID by Motorola arrives on Nov. 6.
Verizon Wireless, the company with the nation’s largest wireless 3Gbroadband network, and Motorola, Inc. (NYSE: MOT), a pioneer in themobile industry, today unveiled DROID by Motorola, the first smartphonepowered by Android™ 2.0. DROID by Motorola features the brainpower andbreakneck speed of a modern smartphone, designed to outperform whereother smartphones fall short.
“We’re proud to work with Verizon Wireless and Google™ on the firstsmartphone to feature Android 2.0,” said Sanjay Jha, co-chief executiveofficer of Motorola and chief executive officer of Motorola MobileDevices. “DROID by Motorola delivers a rich consumer experience withwarp-speed Web browsing, a mammoth screen, and Motorola’s expertise indesign and voice quality. Combined with Android’s open, flexiblegraphical user interface and the power of Verizon Wireless’ 3G network,DROID is a smartphone that simply doesn’t compromise.”
“This is an exciting announcement for Verizon Wireless, as the DROID byMotorola is the first device that we are bringing to market under ourground-breaking strategic partnership with Google,” said John Stratton,executive vice president and chief marketing officer for VerizonWireless. “DROID by Motorola gives customers a lifestyle device withaccess to more than 12,000 applications that will help them stay intouch, up to date and entertained, using the best 3G network in thecountry.”
DROID by Motorola has a solid exterior, intelligent interior and is oneof the thinnest full-QWERTY slider phones available. It is a no-fuss,high-tech, location-aware, voice-recognizing, over-the-air updating,multi-tasking machine – and it is available just in time for holidaywish lists.
With DROID by Motorola, you can:
· Zip through the Web: Access the Internet at 3G speeds via thenation’s largest and most reliable 3G network or from any Wi-Fihotspot. The multi-window HTML browser with a massive processordelivers the Web the way you expect.
· See it all in cinema-style: View the Web, e-mail, Google Maps™,videos and more in widescreen on a brilliant 3.7” high-resolutionscreen. Boasting a width of 854 pixels to reduce the need forside-to-side panning and more than 400,000 pixels total, DROID has morethan twice that of the leading competitor.
· Run multiple applications at once: Customize your DROID withthousands of applications and hundreds of widgets available on AndroidMarket™. Toggle back and forth between up to six applications at a timeto juggle the universe and your apps.
· Perform Google Search™ at the speed of sound: Simply tell DROID whatyou’re looking for using voice-activated search, and it will serve upGoogle search results based on your location. If you want more, simplytype what you’re looking for into the search bar on the home screen andDROID will also search content on your phone, such as apps andcontacts, and the Web.
· Capture moments: Snap digital camera-quality photos with a 5megapixel camera loaded with the works, such as a dual-LED flash,AutoFocus and image stabilization, or capture your friend’s antics in16 million colors with DVD-quality video capture and playback. Store itall on the included 16 GB memory card, so you always have it on hand.
· Multi-task like a master: Keep tabs on all your messages withintegrated Gmail™ and Exchange e-mail pushed directly to you, but don’tlet them get in your way. With the handy Android notification panel, gostraight to the message or simply ignore it, and get back to the taskat hand. And, a smart dictionary learns as you type and automaticallyincludes your contacts.
· Get where you need to go with Google Maps Navigation (Beta): DROID isthe first device with Google Maps Navigation, providing turn-by-turnvoice guidance as a free feature of Google Maps. It’s powered by Googleand connected to the Internet. Use voice shortcuts and simply say“Navigate to [your destination],” and you’ll be on your way. See livetraffic, use Street View or satellite imagery to view your route, andget access to the most recent maps and business information from GoogleMaps without ever needing to update your device.
Pre-loaded Applications and Enhancements to Google Mobile Services:
· Google Maps: With layers in Google Maps, view geographic information,such as My Maps, Wikipedia, and transit lines, right on the map.
· Gmail: Multiple accounts support and undo for common operations.
· YouTube™: One-touch recording and playback from homescreen widget orapp, one-touch sharing with friends, and the ability to view your ownuploaded videos and high-resolution videos.
· Google Talk™: Easily switch between chats, search your chat history, and preview pictures and videos sent by links.
· Android Market: Browse and download applications created by third-party developers.
· Calendar: Ability to see who has R.S.V.P.’d to your meeting invitations.
· Facebook: Syncs Facebook contacts to your address book, and a livewidget gives the ability to update status and view latest updates fromfriends.
· Amazon MP3 Store: Download the latest tracks over the air.
· Verizon Wireless Visual Voice Mail: Delete, reply and forward voicemail messages without having to listen to prior messages or voiceinstructions.
Pricing and Availability:
· DROID by Motorola will be available in the United States exclusivelyat Verizon Wireless Communications Stores and online on Friday, Nov. 6,for $199.99 with a new two-year customer agreement after a $100 mail-inrebate. Customers will receive the rebate in the form of a debit card;upon receipt, customers may use the card as cash anywhere debit cardsare accepted.
· Experience the all-new DROID by Motorola at www.droiddoes.com.
· To get the most from DROID by Motorola smartphone, customers willneed to subscribe to a Nationwide voice plan and an Email and Web forSmartphone plan. Nationwide voice plans begin at $39.99 for monthlyaccess for 450 minutes and an Email and Web for Smartphone plan is$29.99 for monthly access.
- Available Exclusively on Verizon Wireless
- November 6th @ $200 with rebate/2-year contract
- Android 2.0, including free Google Maps Navigation
- 3.7-inch WVGA (480 x 854) capacitive touchscreen
- ARM Cortex A8 CPU + PowerVR GPU - same combo in the iPhone 3GS
- 1400 mAh battery - best battery life for Android yet
- 5 megapixel autofocus camera with dual-LED flash
- 480p (720 x 480) 24fps Video Recording
- Super-slim but with a hardware keyboard
Finally, Verizon stepping it's phone game up!