#1 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted October 26, 2009 - 12:17 PM

Hey all,

Here's my final preseason rankings!

http://www.hoopsworl...?STORY_ID=14135

Lakers are #1, Clippers at #12 which may be high if Blake Griffin's knee is messed up :(

Also - I wrote an article on the Hornets - they look vulnerable (yet I still took David West with my second pick - fantasy league):

http://www.hoopsworl...?STORY_ID=14135

Thanks

Eric

Edited by emplay, October 26, 2009 - 09:58 PM.

Check me at at the LA Times at BasketballInsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus

#2 dodobird1988

dodobird1988

Ring Finger

• PipPip
  • 1,979 posts
  • Name:your name
  • Fan Since:When I saw Kareem play ball with glasses on
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted October 26, 2009 - 12:21 PM

were you early or late 2nd round?

b/c D West is a good 18 ADP in a 12 team league
*<i>insert clever comment here</i>*

#3 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 26, 2009 - 02:43 PM

The Magic are stronger than anyone gives them credit for.

The "what if" argument regarding the Celtics has no bearing on what the teams are now - don'tcha think?

For me (as if it matters to anyone, but i have an odd affection for list-making, so here goes) my top 5 are:

1) Los Angeles Lakers
2) Orlando Magic
3) Boston Celtics
4) Cleveland Cavaliers
5) San Antonio Spurs

Pretty much in line with most, but I fail to see why the Magic are getting so slighted this pre-season. I mean great for them. When is the last time a Finals appearance and a major roster change put you under the radar?

The Celtics were / are further away from the ring than the simple / overrated addition of Wallace. Garnett's health or not, they would not have stopped the inside out attack of the magic, and nothing has changed this year. They still miss Posey's intimidating defense and ability to stretch the defense from the paint to make room for Garnett.

#4 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 26, 2009 - 02:49 PM

fido, if Shaq and LeBron click, Orlando is toast against them in the playoffs. There's not a single person on the Magic that can contain LeBron, and Shaq's strength and body weight will force Howard away from the rim, and once that's done, Howard is done as an offensive threat.

So you turn the game into LeBron and Williams against Carter, Shard and Nelson. Add in the fact that O'Neal won't have that much trouble scoring the ball, and you have a seven-game series.

And, well, if the seventh game is in Cleveland (like it would've been last year), Orlando loses.

#5 Samson1987

Samson1987

Rookie

• 539 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Bryant-Gasol-Artest-Brown

Posted October 26, 2009 - 03:41 PM

LA
Boston
Orlando
San Antonio
Cleveland

Period.
"If you could stop all the players that get publicized and all the players that the NBA likes and all the players, you know, the players that win the MVP's, you know, for their offense. And some of them, you know, play pretty good defense too. But some of them, you know, they like "this guy he can shoot, he can score, he can dunk." and I want to be the one to stop all those guys, you know, and just kinda spoil the whole party." - Ron Artest

#6 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 26, 2009 - 03:45 PM

That is a mighty if.

The magic are working on game not on ifs. Shaq couldn't handle Howard last year and he won't handle him now. You can gang defend LeBron and force the others around him to make shots just as they did last playoffs. it didn't work for the Cavs then and their ragtag signings of this summer won't make it happen now. even if all goes well and Shaq and LeBron are buddy buddy and their games don't fumble all over each other, this is not the Shaq from 5 years or even 2 years ago. He can't play the entire season and has stamina issues now against mobile big men, of which Howard is very much so.

Shaq cannot contain Howard for an entire game. Maybe he can for small 3 minute runs, but that would be about it. There's no reason for Howard to venture away from the rim with Cleveland's complete lack of mid-range scoring. They did alright in the regular season, but when it was time to step up, everyone faded on that Cleveland team. To depend on Shaq flashing back to years ago, is a fool's game. again, let Howard take Shaq one on one and push the ball out of LeBron's hands into the others. The Cavs have added a couple players who have minimal to no playoff experience and no ability to step up when it matters.

A lot of success in basketball comes from not the big time players, but the role players that are willing and able to step up when needed. The Cavs have none of those. The magic have at least 3 (Lewis, Carter and Nelson)

Boston and Cleveland will be fun for a lark, but when it comes down to it the game works from the middle out. The Lakers and the Magic have the best paint play in the game. Though Cleveland slightly improves (in the context of what Cleveland does game plan wise, it is slight) with Shaq in the middle, its too little too late to get by established big men in the East and on the Lakers.

#7 dodobird1988

dodobird1988

Ring Finger

• PipPip
  • 1,979 posts
  • Name:your name
  • Fan Since:When I saw Kareem play ball with glasses on
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted October 26, 2009 - 03:51 PM

Fido, you're dismissing Boston too early. Yes, their bones are brittle like California's economy, but they're still stacked with PO experienced players. They know this is their last hope for a Ring, and they'll bring it all season long. They're strong 1-5 + 6-8. They know all they need to do is make it to the PO and they can perform. Barring injuries, I see them in the Finals. I think missing Hedo will hurt as Vince isn't PO tested.
*<i>insert clever comment here</i>*

#8 rnd24

rnd24

Off The Bench

• 1,755 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:kb

Posted October 26, 2009 - 06:41 PM

fido, if Shaq and LeBron click, Orlando is toast against them in the playoffs. There's not a single person on the Magic that can contain LeBron, and Shaq's strength and body weight will force Howard away from the rim, and once that's done, Howard is done as an offensive threat.

So you turn the game into LeBron and Williams against Carter, Shard and Nelson. Add in the fact that O'Neal won't have that much trouble scoring the ball, and you have a seven-game series.

And, well, if the seventh game is in Cleveland (like it would've been last year), Orlando loses.

what about us? how do you think we would do against them? They have a great team but i just think our team is more consistent
When he's asked why Kobe doesn't tweet, @thugraider37 said he offers this reply: "Does God tweet?"[/center]

#9 hi_ma

hi_ma

Off The Bench

• PipPip
  • 2,625 posts

Posted October 26, 2009 - 08:03 PM

1) Los Angeles Lakers
2) Orlando Magic
3) Boston Celtics
4) Cleveland Cavaliers
5) San Antonio Spurs

i agree. The magic choked the cavs out and it wasnt even close. Magic addressed a need, cavs didnt
. KG or not the magic stepped on the celts in their crib while being far less experienced, when rondo went off.

I put cavs over celts simply because of bron. However i have a hard time going against 1b to kobes 1a over the last decade in TD
Kobe's official reign of terror is about to get its jump off on.

#10 KobeDynasty

KobeDynasty

-

• 3,914 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 26, 2009 - 08:13 PM

Lakers

Magic
Celtics
Spurs
Cavs

333.jpg

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted October 26, 2009 - 08:37 PM

what about us? how do you think we would do against them? They have a great team but i just think our team is more consistent

Against who? We'll wreck Cleveland, win in five or six, a couple of blowouts. Orlando will give us another five or six as well, but most of the games will be close.

I'm more worried about Boston than anyone else, if Garnett's knee is healthy. Rondo nearly averaged a trip-doub in the playoffs last season, Pierce isn't declining, Garnett isn't declining if his knee is fine. Ray Allen just dropped a 50+ point game in the playoffs last season, not to mention Perkins' defense has improved due to the work he's putting in with KG and Thibodeau. With shooters off the bench (Wallace, House) and a gem in Marquis Daniels (who could prove to be more important than Wallace is), we're going to face a team that believes they will win, not one that believes they can.

Edited by Real Deal, October 26, 2009 - 08:38 PM.

#12 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted October 26, 2009 - 09:59 PM

fixed the link!
Check me at at the LA Times at BasketballInsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus

#13 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts

Posted October 26, 2009 - 10:07 PM

You posted the same link twice, Eric. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users