• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted July 26, 2008 - 05:55 AM

I have been wondering about who will receive camp invites, mostly in light of the performances of SPL players. So here are my top six players from the Lakers' SPL team I'd like to see get an invite:

#6 Cedric Bozeman - 6'6, 220 pound Guard
-An athletic Guard, Bozeman is an aggressive player who hustles, but probably needs to work on his game a bit more, and may never be a good fit for a team that isn't fast-breaking regularly.
--Not a good fit for the Lakers, but could learn to play in the triangle and be effective. Probably wouldn't get off the bench even if he made the team. An NBDL candidate.

#5 Bryant Dunston - 6'9, 250 pound Forward
-Scrapping Forward. Can score well, attacks, is very athletic, and plays hard on both ends of the court. Could put up Turiaf-esque numbers and provide similar skills.
--He's an interesting prospect because of his size and shot-blocking abilities. Not going to make it on an NBA team this year in all likelihood, but would be a good D-Fender.

#4 Taj Gray - 6'9, 230 pound Forward
-A good scorer who can get to the line and has a respectable (but not more) repertoire of moves. Athletic and a good shotblocker, Gray has the ability to body up on Power Forwards, but will have to improve his footwork and transfer some of his aggressiveness offensively to the defensive side. The Lakers' needs at PF could make Gray a more interesting commodity.
--Gray isn't huge, but he's aggressive and athletic. He could play minutes at the Power Forward spot, would grab some boards, and block some shots, but he will probably never score a whole lot and will probably look foolish until he becomes more seasoned in actual NBA experience. I'd get him on the D-Fenders and monitor his game.

#3 Richie Cunningham (AKA Coby Karl) - 6'5, 210 pound Guard
-Coby Karl can score and would certainly be a good shooter at the NBA level, but he makes stupid mistakes and isn't afraid to jack up every open shot he sees. He cannot play defense either. I'd like to see him work on attacking because he seems to have surprising body control and the ability to hit a ton of FTs when he gets to the line. He can contribute more immediately than just about anyone (#2 aside, perhaps), but I really question his top end.
--Karl could play 1000 minutes this season if the Lakers wanted him to do so. He could also hit a bunch of threes and shoot a good percentage, but the Lakers woul be obliterated by opposing guards while Karl is in there. He simply must work much harder and take more pride in his D.

#2 Dwayne Mitchell - 6'5, 210 Guard
-Mitchell has improved his playmaking abilities considerably, and would be a great fit as a Guard in the triangle. His physique and athleticism are awesome, he can create a shot, and plays tough on defense, coming up with steals and overpowering many Guards because of his strength and bulk.
--A scorer and a hard-nosed athletic defender who can rebound incredibly well for a Guard. He's the athletic bruiser LA could use in the back court. Has become a better shooter, and is solid from distance, but is really a slasher and he's quite good at it.

#1 "The Referee" Joe Crawford - 6'5, 207 Guard
-Although he is raw and will need some time to catch up to the speed of the NBA, and will never be a PG in all likelihood, Crawford is athletic, aggressive, can create a shot and get to the rim.
--He may not play a lot of minutes this season, but I'm sure he would win backup SG honors by season's end if Sasha leaves. He has the ability to get to the rim that seems better than anyone else's except for Kobe and Farmar.
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com
blog.travisjrodgers.com (Lakers stuff)

#2 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted July 26, 2008 - 06:37 AM

Sorry, I edited the title to reflect that these are NOT current camp invites. They're guys I'd like to see.
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#3 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,278 posts

Posted July 26, 2008 - 06:48 PM

i would like crawford to get an invite to join the camp and hopefully our team

Posted Image

#4 L4L

L4L

Seattle's Biggest Laker Fan

• 172 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille O'Neal

Posted July 26, 2008 - 06:51 PM

I love the fact that Crawford brings the much needed ability to CREATE SHOTS. I'd also love to see the kid get top priority in terms of camp invites. The fact that he is athletic and has decent potential only sweetens the pot for me.

#5 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,278 posts

Posted July 26, 2008 - 06:52 PM

^^
i think he could be the ginoblli of the draft

Posted Image

#6 L4L

L4L

• 172 posts

Posted July 26, 2008 - 06:53 PM

^^
i think he could be the ginoblli of the draft

Based on what?

#7 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,278 posts

Posted July 26, 2008 - 06:55 PM

the way he played in the summer league

he is really good IMO

he can be a great fit for us

Posted Image

#8 L4L

L4L

• 172 posts

Posted July 26, 2008 - 06:56 PM

the way he played in the summer league

he is really good IMO

he can be a great fit for us

Ginobili had the ability to create, shoot from distance, and was a proven star in Europe before he came into the NBA. He really isn't comparable to Crawford at all IMHO.

#9 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,278 posts

Posted July 26, 2008 - 07:07 PM

^^^
okay maybe i was exxagerating a little too much but i think it was a good pick

Posted Image

#10 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,454 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 26, 2008 - 09:17 PM

I'd like to see Sun Yu and Cater-Medley kid from Maryland..(i think i butchered his name)
Posted Image

#11 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,607 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted July 26, 2008 - 09:34 PM

james white

#12 Laker7

Laker7

Rookie

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted July 27, 2008 - 10:42 AM

DJ Mbenga!

#13 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted July 27, 2008 - 02:43 PM

White sucks. He couldn't do a damn thing in SPL. He couldn't dribble. Couldn't make decisions. Couldn't score. I think he's not there mentally. Caner-Medley is a hustle guy, but he didn't look impressive in SPL. Now I haven't seen some of these guys outside SPL, but I did watch the SPL games so this is based on that.
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#14 Jaime Quintanilla

Jaime Quintanilla

SI ME GUSTA!

• 4,346 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted July 27, 2008 - 02:56 PM

White sucks. He couldn't do a damn thing in SPL. He couldn't dribble. Couldn't make decisions. Couldn't score. I think he's not there mentally. Caner-Medley is a hustle guy, but he didn't look impressive in SPL. Now I haven't seen some of these guys outside SPL, but I did watch the SPL games so this is based on that.

I didn't get to watch any of the SPL games just 'cause I just don't have NBATV but from what I've seen on the YouTube videos his a one dimensional player. All dunks but nothing outside of yet. DBricks mentioned on Voice of the Nation (podcast), if he works on his game we might have something but as of now, Lakers should stay far away from him.

#15 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted July 27, 2008 - 02:58 PM

Joe Crawford.

I hope the Lakers give him a camp invite.

#16 Rick

Rick

Rookie

• 82 posts

Posted July 28, 2008 - 07:16 AM

From what you said, and because Sasha re-signed with us I like Dwayne Mitchell.

#17 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted August 01, 2008 - 09:15 PM

Nice editorial. :rock:

tr, do you think Dwayne Mitchell is going to make the team? Did Joe Crawford get an invite already?

#18 Rinnegato

Rinnegato

Rookie

• 150 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, and Chick

Posted August 01, 2008 - 10:01 PM

Man, if Cedric Bozeman made the cut, he and Jordan could once again team up and play some tough D. Those two together used to be a nightmare when they would trap back in UCLA... remember what they did against Gonzaga when they mounted that crazy comeback?
"This game's in the refrigerator: the door is closed, the lights are out, the eggs are cooling, the butter's getting hard, and the Jell-O's jigglin'!" -Chick Hearn

#19 extreme

extreme

Going to the extreme!

• 204 posts
  • Name:Massimo
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Fisher, Kobe

Posted August 01, 2008 - 11:28 PM

Bozeman played here in Belgium for Oostende (got a season ticket), well he's not nba material... Seriously omgosh. But he has a nice beard!

#20 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted August 02, 2008 - 08:14 AM

Nice editorial. :mitch:

tr, do you think Dwayne Mitchell is going to make the team? Did Joe Crawford get an invite already?

I do a yearly writeup once the Lakers have made all their camp invites. I'll let you know then based on who's on the team. I thought Crawford didn't have a contract yet. I think he'll get an invite and I wouldn't be surprised if Mitchell made the team. He has a skill that is really rare on the team: he can create a shot. He also works hard on D so I think Phil is going to like what he sees.
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users