73 replies to this topic

#1 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Ime udoka

Posted October 11, 2009 - 11:23 PM

TLN is one of the best Laker forums on the internet, but in my opinion there are too many forums.

1. I think it's unnecessary to have a Youtube Video sub-forum. It barely gets much activity and people still post youtube videos in off-topic despite the forum we have designated for it. I suggest that we close the Youtube Video sub-fourm and move all of those posts to off-topic.

2. "Other Sports", In my opinion should be moved to off-topic, not as a sub-forum but just have it combined with off-topic. I feel that off-topic gets the most activity and for some reason, Other sports doesn't get much activity where it is now. I honestly think that having topics of sports in Off-topic will spark more activity in that subject.

3. "Gallery" and "Theater"
Well "Gallery" has 3 sub-forums "Wallpapers", "Game Photos", "Fan Photos" I think that we could combine "Gallery" with Lakers Talk. Chicano posted a crap load of Pre-season pictures in Lakers Talk, and technically speaking it should have been moved into the "Game Photos forum. Had it been there, I wouldn't have seen it, and I am willing to bet that less than 10% of the people on TLN would have, as well.
"Theatre" has 2 sub-forums "Mixes" and "Game Clips". When SILO, or LD2K makes a mix, they post it in Lakers talk. When someone posts a video of the game they went to, they post it in Lakers Talk. In "Mixes", on a page of 40 topics, Replys per topic is 1.88. On a page of 40 topics ranges from March 2009-October 2009. 5 months to fill up 40 topics? I am sure there has been more content made and posted in Lakers Talk then what was put in the "Mixes" forum.

4. Combine "Voice of The Nation" with "TLN Features"

5. Get rid of the garbage pit and leave locked topics in what forum they got locked in so we all can have an accurate idea of which forum we post most in.

6. I think that Pass the Mic should be the new sub-forum of Off-topic (since of course we would get rid of Youtube Videos).

7. No offense to Darth Bynumite, but I think that the TLN Fan Articles should be deleted, for all the hard work that's been put in, it hardly gets replies, or views. Original content can be posted in the appropriate forum(s).

Edited by Memory Fish, October 12, 2009 - 12:26 AM.

#2 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted October 11, 2009 - 11:33 PM

Fantastic post. Pretty much agree with everything, especially points #1 & 3 most passionately more than any & specifically on #3, yes indeed, I'm glad you pointed out how little amount of visits the gallery section gets as people are either too dumb to see it, most of them, or too lazy & me having known this for a long time, sparked the obvious reason why I posted game pics in Lakers Talk cuz I know people aren't lazy or dumb to not go there & therefore, the photos will get WAY I mean WAY more views there.

but same thing with your first point pretty much as well. I agree SUPER passionately. I have a feeling I can almost guarantee it would spark more activity in that area and all together for the forum in general. GREAT POINTS BASE.

& I almost know this as a fact already, for example/s:

I used to post YouTube vids way back in the day from time to time in the off topic section only, and they'd blow up like crazy, a lot of them, but as soon as a mod came in and moved them to the YouTube videos section, it would die. I mean literally, or if not in some cases completely die, at least dramatically slow down in activity and hits.

two examples are an old darth vader dancing video i posted once in the off topic section initially and then also an old creepy man one as well.

+1

I'd give you more than a +1 if it were possible.

I REALLY HOPE more people can see this & agree & speak up so we can let our voices be heard to the staff and they can at least consider it. They can even test it out for a while and if there's no difference whatsoever or if it's somehow worse than before, then maybe we go back, but if there's any kind of change for the better, or upgrade, or more activity, then it worked, and it's a fantastic move indeed on all fronts.

You almost always have fantastic ideas by the way Base. I really wish you worked for the site so you could implement your ideas possibly more easily & garner or grab more respect & legitimacy from the staff.

Edited by Chicano, October 12, 2009 - 12:37 AM.

#3 Riot

Riot

Trojan

• 5,201 posts
  • Fan Since:'95

Posted October 11, 2009 - 11:51 PM

TLN is one of the best Laker forums on the internet, but in my opinion there are too many forums.

1. I think it's unnecessary to have a Youtube Video sub-forum. It barely gets much activity and people still post youtube videos in off-topic despite the forum we have designated for it. I suggest that we close the Youtube Video sub-fourm and move all of those posts to off-topic.

3. "Gallery" and "Theater"
Well "Gallery" has 3 sub-forums "Wallpapers", "Game Photos", "Fan Photos" I think that we could combine "Gallery" with Lakers Talk. Chicano posted a crap load of Pre-season pictures in Lakers Talk, and technically speaking it should have been moved into the "Game Photos forum. Had it been there, I wouldn't have seen it, and I am willing to bet that less than 10% of the people on TLN would have, as well.
"Theatre" has 2 sub-forums "Mixes" and "Game Clips". When SILO, or LD2K makes a mix, they post it in Lakers talk. When someone posts a video of the game they went to, they post it in Lakers Talk. In "Mixes", on a page of 40 topics, Replys per topic is 1.88. On a page of 40 topics ranges from March 2009-October 2009. 5 months to fill up 40 topics? I am sure there has been more content made and posted in Lakers Talk then what was put in the "Mixes" forum.

5. Get rid of the garbage pit and leave locked topics in what forum they got locked in so we all can have an accurate idea of which forum we post most in.

#4 LaLa

LaLa

Champ

• 7,900 posts
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted October 11, 2009 - 11:56 PM

Good stuff...do these things and activity will rise because of it. :rock:
Posted Image
R.I.P. to my grandmother, 4/17/07 : (

#5 Black Sheep

Black Sheep

God

• 3,749 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 12, 2009 - 12:26 AM

yea I agree with #1 and #3.
i like the sports forum where its at though

#6 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted October 12, 2009 - 12:45 AM

Wow great bryson, great idea. It makes a lot of sense. We have so many forums, simplifying it would be sufficed. But i don't think other sports should be on the OT not as a sub forum, take out the youtube section replace it with other sports. it will make a lot of sense in my own perspective, other than that i wholeheartedly agree with this suggestion.

you still suck btw :rap:

Edited by Macasero, October 12, 2009 - 12:57 AM.

#7 kingjeezy♕

kingjeezy♕

Creator of All Interesting Threads™

• 3,051 posts
  • Name:RJNavarrete
  • Fan Since:1993

Posted October 12, 2009 - 01:17 AM

[IDK who moved it initially, but I'm moving it back for discussion's sake.]

I'm one for simplicity as well. I frequent NeoGaf.com a huge gaming forum with only two forums [and one sub-forum].

1. Gaming.

-Online/Matchup Forum

2. Off-Topic.

That's it. IMO, it works really well, so I'm thinking a few of these ideas might see the light of day.

We'll be discussing this as well as many other pressing issues with the Staff, I can promise you all that... I'll do my best to keep you all updated.

#8 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted October 12, 2009 - 01:17 AM

Since we're talking about this, I also personally suggest we combine 'Fantasy Sports' with Off-Topic or just get rid of it as a whole.

Well you posted this topic in the wrong forum. Site Suggestions is there for a reason.

Hardly anybody goes there in comparison to here & it's obvious to anyone. This is too important a subject in my & some others' opinions. More people need to see this. This is all potentially for the better of not only the members and their experience here, but the forum itself, and for the sake of increased activity.

EDIT: Just read Memory Fish's post earlier about this, basically echoed my same sentiments, but said in a much more profound & significant way.

Edited by Chicano, October 12, 2009 - 01:18 AM.

#9 kingjeezy♕

kingjeezy♕

• 3,051 posts

Posted October 12, 2009 - 01:38 AM

I can agree with almost all points except Fan Articles. Yea, they don't get the most views/replies, but some of them do get 10+ replies, and that alone warrants keeping that forum alive, especially considering it doesn't take up any of the prime real estate near the top of the forums.

Also, I would suggest that all topics that are media related be prefaced with tags such as:

[VIDEO]
[PHOTO]
[AUDIO]

etc.

I think that would be a good way to keep the videos and photos semi-distinct from "regular" topics.

EDIT: As far as "Kid Ridiculous" and "Memory Fish" go, drop it now and stick to the topic at hand or receive warnings/temp-bans. Your choice. If we're going to do this, we're going to do it right.

#10 Machinehead

Machinehead

BringBackSasha

• 6,671 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:Radmanovic's long hair days.
  • Fav. Laker:Sasha Vujacic

Posted October 12, 2009 - 01:39 AM

Umm, honestly, I dont feel the need for change. I know where everything is now and dont feel the need to change unless we're truly TRULY desperate.
Posted Image

#11 Nirvana

Nirvana

Come as you are

• 5,534 posts

Posted October 12, 2009 - 01:39 AM

7. No offense to Darth Bynumite, but I think that the TLN Fan Articles should be deleted, for all the hard work that's been put in, it hardly gets replies, or views. Original content can be posted in the appropriate forum(s).

I actually agree with this. The only argument I'd put up for it, is that at one point we were very active in there (for an articles section). It might be worth leaving it untill a month into the regular season but if it still is doing nothing, then it should go.

Part of the problem is that I lost interest in running the whole thing...

Edited by Darth Trifilli, October 12, 2009 - 01:39 AM.

Kurt Cobain - "Wanting to be someone else is a waste of the person you are."

#12 Grandpa Herman

Grandpa Herman

Guru

• 3,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Lamar Odom

Posted October 12, 2009 - 01:41 AM

rodrigue le terrible, type a 1 if you are RJ.....

Go.

I actually agree with this. The only argument I'd put up for it, is that at one point we were very active in there (for an articles section). It might be worth leaving it untill a month into the regular season but if it still is doing nothing, then it should go.

Part of the problem is that I lost interest in running the whole thing...

You're right. We should wait and see how it does once the season actually starts.
Basketball Reasons...

#13 kingjeezy♕

kingjeezy♕

• 3,051 posts

Posted October 12, 2009 - 01:54 AM

I'm not going to say it again, so read closely...

If ANYONE goes off-topic in this thread again, they're gone for 3 days. No questions asked. I'm going to leave this locked for 10 minutes so you all get a chance to read this. Mention one more name, call another poster out, or try to take indirect jabs at someone and you're gone.

Done.

#14 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts

Posted October 12, 2009 - 03:59 AM

In short, these are my idea's with ones that others have suggested:

1. Move Youtube Videos Sub-forum content into off topic and delete the Sub-forum.
2. Move Other Sports content into Off-topic and delete the Other Sports Forum.
3. Move Gallery and Theater posts into Lakers Talk, and delete forums.
4. Move Voice of The Nation into the TLN Features Forum and delete Multimedia.
5. Move Locked threads back into respectable forums and delete the Garbage pit.
6. Move Pass the Mic Forum and make it a sub-forum of off Topic.
7. Move Original content of TLN Fan Articles to Lakers Talk or the new designated area for Other sports and delete forum.
8. Move Fantasy sports posts into Off-Topic, and delete forum.
9. TLN Archives move topics into respectable forums and delete the TLN Archive forum.
10. Possibly delete the Trade Rumors and Free Agency Discussion since we don't even use that forum properly. Talk about the latest Lakers trade and free agency rumors...We usually post that in Lakers talk, and make up our own trade fantasies.

This will cut the forums too 10 main forums Instead of 19 and we would only have 6 sub-forums and one sub-sub-forum (not including Sim League since it doesn't include most of us) instead of 20 sub-forums.
The New Forums would be much more simple and Would look a little like this:

Front Office

TLN Announcements

The Lakers Nation
Gametime Discussion
Lakers Talk
NBA Talk
La Nación de los Lakers

TLN Community
Introduce Yourself
Off-Topic

-- 1. Movies & Television
-- 2. Music
-- 3. Technology
-- 4. Video Gaming
-- 5. Pass The Mic!
---- 1. PTM Answers!

TLN Features
TLN Sim League
-- 1. Front Office
-- 2. Trade Blocks
-- 3. Finished Trades
-- 4. Depth Charts
-- 5. Free Agency
-- 6. Draft Central
-- 7. Team Articles
-- 8. League Bank
-- 9. Sim League Bets
-- 10. Trios Game

Voice Of The Nation

Forum Management and Archives

User Feedback, Suggestions and Questions
-- 1. Resolved Topics

Edited by Base, October 12, 2009 - 04:13 AM.

#15 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 12, 2009 - 04:08 AM

I actually never liked the garbage pit to begin with.

Everything else is fine, except one thing: putting the sports topics in off-topic. Biggest mistake you'll make to date. Trust me when I say that, eventually, you'll piss off every sports fan here that likes talking football and baseball, especially when most football topics need bumped each week, instead of daily...and by then, topics like the Raiders Nation will be sitting in the third or fourth page of OT, buried alive under stuff about Obama and Youtube videos of people singing terribly.

#16 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted October 12, 2009 - 04:16 AM

1. Move Youtube Videos Sub-forum content into off topic and delete the Sub-forum.
2. Move Other Sports content into Off-topic and delete the Other Sports Forum.
3. Move Gallery and Theater posts into Lakers Talk, and delete forums.
4. Move Voice of The Nation into the TLN Features Forum and delete Multimedia.
5. Move Locked threads back into respectable forums and delete the Garbage pit.
6. Move Pass the Mic Forum and make it a sub-forum of off Topic.
7. Move Original content of TLN Fan Articles to Lakers Talk or the new designated area for Other sports and delete forum.
8. Move Fantasy sports posts into Off-Topic, and delete forum.
9. TLN Archives move topics into respectable forums and delete the TLN Archive forum.

1. Agreed, been thinking this forever. Agree with Jeezy too that people can label it with [YOUTUBE] or something
2. Disagree, I think we need an Other Sports sub-forum somewhere, can't have the OT filled with sports talk.
3. True, not very active in there. Hmm, moving it into Lakers Talk... maybe leave a subforum there for each, or one for both in Lakers Talk? Iono
4. Yes
5. Agree with this. I don't like how you can go into a profile and see "most posted in GARBAGE!!!! 1000 posts!!!". A lot of the locked threads were great topics of discussion 300 posts in til someone [expletive]ed it up. Leave em where they were locked. Maybe if Garbage pit should exist only put duplicates and super [expletive] threads, but then mods would have to pick and choose.
6. YES. PTM I feel is hard to find now, I forget about it so often, but I'm in OT a lot. It's a great feature and I love it, we should have it more accessible.
7. Yea
8. Yea
9. I didn't even know that existed.

#17 lakerstefi

lakerstefi

Polakers

• 2,392 posts

Posted October 12, 2009 - 04:20 AM

Agreed with everything except for the Other Sports. It's a necessary forum and I wouldn't put its content in the OT. I'd also put the Fantasy Sports as a sub-forum in the Other Sports forum.

#18 Base

Base

Casadee

• 4,376 posts

Posted October 12, 2009 - 04:21 AM

Real Deal, you bring up a great point. On top of that, people are to lazy to use the search feature. Aside from the other sports, what do you think about my other suggestions? I can agree with Stefi also.

Front Office

TLN Announcements

The Lakers Nation
Gametime Discussion
Lakers Talk
NBA Talk
La Nación de los Lakers

TLN Community
Introduce Yourself
Off-Topic

-- 2. Music
-- 3. Technology
-- 4. Video Gaming
-- 5. Pass The Mic!
---- 1. PTM Answers!

Other Sports
-- 1. NFL
-- 2. MLB
-- 3. NCAA Hoops
-- 4. NCAA Football
-- 5. WNBA
-- 6. Soccer
-- 7. NHL
-- 8. Fantasy Sports

TLN Features
TLN Sim League
-- 1. Front Office
-- 2. Trade Blocks
-- 3. Finished Trades
-- 4. Depth Charts
-- 5. Free Agency
-- 6. Draft Central
-- 7. Team Articles
-- 8. League Bank
-- 9. Sim League Bets
-- 10. Trios Game

Voice Of The Nation

Forum Management and Archives

-- 1. Resolved Topics

Edited by Base, October 12, 2009 - 04:27 AM.

#19 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 12, 2009 - 04:35 AM

Everything else is fine. Just stick fantasy sports in the "Other Sports" forum as topics, not as a sub-forum.

Otherwise, you're still cluttering the off-topic.

If you're keeping the Other Sports forum (which you have to do), then just stick those fantasy sports in there. Stick the YT threads in Off-Topic, along with anything else that is genuinely off-topic, and you're set.

I would make a "Member Media" forum, though, to stick mixes, walls and signatures in, and tell everyone that game pictures can be posted in Lakers Talk (or NBA game pictures in NBA Talk).

Combine the Community and Features categories, move the Feedback forum up to Front Office.

FRONT OFFICE
TLN Announcements
-- 1. Resolved Topics

THE LAKERS NATION
Gametime Discussion
Lakers Talk
NBA Talk
La Nación de los Lakers

TLN COMMUNITY AND FEATURES
Introduce Yourself
Off-Topic
-- 2. Music
-- 3. Technology
-- 4. Video Gaming
-- 5. Pass The Mic!
---- 1. PTM Answers!
Other Sports
-- 1. NFL
-- 2. MLB
-- 3. NCAA Hoops
-- 4. NCAA Football
-- 5. WNBA
-- 6. Soccer
-- 7. NHL
-- 8. Fantasy Sports
TLN Sim League
-- 1. Front Office
-- 2. Trade Blocks
-- 3. Finished Trades
-- 4. Depth Charts
-- 5. Free Agency
-- 6. Draft Central
-- 7. Team Articles
-- 8. League Bank
-- 9. Sim League Bets
-- 10. Trios Game
Voice Of The Nation

#20 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted October 12, 2009 - 04:47 AM

I don't see anything I disagree with you on Brandon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users