Phil Speaks

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 emplay

emplay

Rookie

• 878 posts

Posted September 25, 2009 - 05:31 PM

Hey all - here's my writeup of the Phil presser - http://www.hoopsworl...?story_id=13895 thx - EP
Check me at at the LA Times at BasketballInsiders.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus

#2 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted September 25, 2009 - 05:43 PM

Great interview. Phil seems excited about the prospects pf the new season. He feels like this frontcourt is his best ever, and I agree. This team, if healthy can be one of the best laker teams(therefore best teams) of all time. However, he has some slight concerns about Artest's focus. I think Kobe will put Artest in positions to succeed, just like everyone else who plays with Kobe. I think Fisher will not start, at some point but he will finish if he doesnt struggle. Brown can be moved to the backup, and we MIGHT see the BIG 5 line up.
I love LA
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#3 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted September 25, 2009 - 05:53 PM

The Zen MASTER is back from Montana

Time to work on the FURTHER destruction of the NBA via LAKER DOMINATION
The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

#4 Smoove

Smoove

Filipindian

• 5,269 posts
  • Name:Ryan
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 25, 2009 - 06:05 PM

Was interested to read about how they might use a Bryant/Artest/Odom/Pau/Bynum lineup...we didn't even use Pau, Lamar, and Bynum together all of last year.

Posted Image

"To whom much is given much is tested."

#5 teetering

teetering

Rookie

• 92 posts
  • Name:cathy
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:ariza

Posted September 25, 2009 - 06:20 PM

"Sasha played with his hair last year more than he played on the court."

HAHHAHAHA

#6 rnd24

rnd24

Off The Bench

• 1,755 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:kb

Posted September 25, 2009 - 06:24 PM

"Sasha played with his hair last year more than he played on the court."

LMFAOOOOOOOOO HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
When he's asked why Kobe doesn't tweet, @thugraider37 said he offers this reply: "Does God tweet?"[/center]

#7 Ken #1 Beloved.

Ken #1 Beloved.

30 Year Lakers Bandwagoner!

• 744 posts
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted September 25, 2009 - 06:59 PM

Music to my ears. Of course the naysayers immediately have to nitpick and chime in with their Sasha mockery. Hahaha. I hope you enjoy your counter-productive remarks while true Lakers fans follow Phil's lead. All the comments that people make about the "garbage" on this team was nicely rebuked with a complimentary general statement by Phil Jackson: "I have a second unit that played really well last year. We were really proud of them."

So keep bashing away at your favorite targets. I'll defer to Phil Jackson.

Edited by Dynasties R Us, September 25, 2009 - 06:59 PM.

PJ: "I think Ron's going to be a really big addition to this team."

#8 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,731 posts
  • Name:Ahmed
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 25, 2009 - 07:23 PM

It's killing me, I just can't wait for pre-season to start...

#9 KobeDynasty

KobeDynasty

-

• 3,910 posts

Posted September 25, 2009 - 07:26 PM

Can't Wait!

Edited by Gars Raikkonen, September 25, 2009 - 07:29 PM.

333.jpg

#10 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,179 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan

Posted September 25, 2009 - 07:55 PM

It's killing me, I just can't wait for pre-season to start...

i know. i'm even looking forward to those games too where i know the first team won't play as much. but i just want to see us out there on the court again playing some ball. it's going to be a very exciting season.

#11 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted September 25, 2009 - 08:30 PM

All the comments that people make about the "garbage" on this team was nicely rebuked with a complimentary general statement by Phil Jackson: "I have a second unit that played really well last year. We were really proud of them."

Of course he's gonna' say that, especially to start the season. You think the Coach of the team's gonna' start out all negative already? That's not the right approach to start the season. He'll give all the guy's their chances & as the season rolls along, he will criticize from time to time who he needs to like he always does and hopefully whoever those players are, they'll all take it as motivation instead of sucking even more.

Specifically about his second unit comment, that statement is semi-false. Anybody who watched the Lakers all last season know for a fact how brutal the second unit was many times & were the biggest reasons why we lost whatever or most games that we did. They weren't as consistently reliable as would've been hoped.

#12 Ken #1 Beloved.

Ken #1 Beloved.

• 744 posts

Posted September 25, 2009 - 08:48 PM

Of course he's gonna' say that, especially to start the season. You think the Coach of the team's gonna' start out all negative already? That's not the right approach to start the season. He'll give all the guy's their chances & as the season rolls along, he will criticize from time to time who he needs to like he always does and hopefully whoever those players are, they'll all take it as motivation instead of sucking even more.

Specifically about his second unit comment, that statement is semi-false. Anybody who watched the Lakers all last season know for a fact how brutal the second unit was many times & were the biggest reasons why we lost whatever or most games that we did. They weren't as consistently reliable as would've been hoped.

No, actually it was true. 65-17. NBA Champions. Scoreboard. The job of the bench is to keep us in games so we can finish them. Their plus-minus numbers last year proved that they did their job. If they expand on big leads, that's a bonus. Anybody who watched the Lakers all last season knows for a fact that we won 65 games during the regular season. We may not have won pretty all the time, but it's the result that mattered. Phil is comfortable with the players we have to finish games and he said that, too. I missed one game and rarely missed a possession, but clearly I didn't see the negative mirage that you and others seem to love to harp on. No, it wasn't always pretty, but what is it about the fact that 29 teams were looking up at us when the season finally ended in mid-June that you don't understand? This is supposed to be The Lakers Nation. Phil Jackson knows his team better than you or I do. So I'll listen to him over the naysayers. Sorry. "sucking even more" ???? pfffft You just don't get it.

#13 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted September 25, 2009 - 08:57 PM

No, actually it was true.

Like I said, semi, meaning some of it, not all of it. The second unit sure wasn't as perfect as he makes them sound with that statement. Let's not act like they didn't have their severe struggles at times letting teams back in the game and us sometimes ultimately blowing/losing some of them. Not only that, but having to make our starters come back into games too often and bust their arses even more to try and save them out of the mess they'd put us in.

65-17. NBA Champions. Scoreboard.

Yeah we won 65 games, that's awesome. We won the ring, that's awesome too! Of course I know that and I'm proud of that, but this is a forum. I'm telling you right now, you're gonna' have to get used to people speaking negative from time to time cuz not everything is happy happy in the world nor anywhere. & by the way, you oughta' watch yourself when you try to label certain people as true or non true laker fans cuz that's kind of against the rules & you could potentially get warned or suspended for that. Just a heads up. Tryin' to help.

#14 Ken #1 Beloved.

Ken #1 Beloved.

• 744 posts

Posted September 25, 2009 - 09:19 PM

Like I said, semi, meaning some of it, not all of it. The second unit sure wasn't as perfect as he makes them sound with that statement. Let's not act like they didn't have their severe struggles at times letting teams back in the game and us sometimes ultimately blowing/losing some of them. Not only that, but having to make our starters come back into games too often and bust their arses even more to try and save them out of the mess they'd put us in.Yeah we won 65 games, that's awesome. We won the ring, that's awesome too! Of course I know that and I'm proud of that, but this is a forum. I'm telling you right now, you're gonna' have to get used to people speaking negative from time to time cuz not everything is happy happy in the world nor anywhere. & by the way, you oughta' watch yourself when you try to label certain people as true or non true laker fans cuz that's kind of against the rules & you could potentially get warned or suspended for that. Just a heads up. Tryin' to help.

I appreciate your advice. Seriously. I look at the big picture, as does Phil Jackson. I screamed at my TV as much as you did and got upset when we let teams back into games and for other reasons when I disagreed with Phil, but at the end of the day he was right. If fans expect "perfection," then they are living on a different planet, especially during the regular season which Phil uses merely to get ready for the playoffs. He will frustrate us every year with all the experimenting he does, the purpose of which we don't fully understand. I use the Cavs from last year and the 2005-06 Mavs as examples of teams that dominated in the regular season, but didn't understand the big picture like Phil does. That's why I believe in Phil and not the fans who rag on players like Sasha, Farmar and Luke. Also, I do not call people names. If you are trying to say that it is against the rules for me to debate my views versus negative opposing views, especially after we are defending NBA Champions with a loaded team, then I am perplexed. But thank you; I will heed your warning.

Edited by Dynasties R Us, September 25, 2009 - 09:31 PM.

#15 LAwinsRINGZ

LAwinsRINGZ

Play like a Champion Today

• 1,336 posts
  • Name:Mario
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted September 25, 2009 - 09:26 PM

this wait is killing me.
LET'S GO LAKE SHOW!!!!

#16 Beethovenite

Beethovenite

Veteran

• 785 posts
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Chick Hearn

Posted September 25, 2009 - 09:36 PM

I appreciate your advice. Seriously. I look at the big picture, as does Phil Jackson. I screamed at my TV as much as you did and got upset when we let teams back into games and for other reasons when I disagreed with Phil, but at the end of the day he was right. If fans expect "perfection," then they are living on a different planet, especially during the regular season which Phil uses merely to get ready for the playoffs. He will frustrate us every year with all the experimenting he does, the purpose of which we don't fully understand. I use the Cavs from last year and the 2005-06 Mavs as examples of teams that dominated in the regular season, but didn't understand the big picture like Phil does. That's why I believe in Phil and not the fans who rag on players like Sasha, Farmar and Luke. Also, I do not call people names. If you are trying to say that it is against the rules for me to debate my views versus negative opposing views, especially after we are defending NBA Champions with a loaded team, then I am perplexed. But thank you; I will heed your warning.

Dynasties, you don't have to defend yourself anymore man. There are people like you on this board who are able to see the big picture without getting tripped up on the small negatives.

Don't waste your energy on those who continue to have narrow views. These people will continue to complain whether we're the champs or not.

I'm just as excited as you and share your thoughts completely.

We are SO BEYOND loaded and I can't wait for them to get on the court!

#17 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted September 25, 2009 - 09:49 PM

That's why I believe in Phil and not the fans

Do you know anyone who believes in the fans?

& no, I never said you couldn't argue or debate with people your views. That'd be stupid. There'd be no point in having this forum then really at all. What I was saying as I couldn't be any more clearer, or at least I thought, was for you to be more careful with possibly labeling or calling some folks non true laker fans or anything along those lines just because some of their views or most of their views don't happen to coincide with yours so much.

#18 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,179 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan

Posted September 25, 2009 - 10:36 PM

Do you know anyone who believes in the fans?

& no, I never said you couldn't argue or debate with people your views. That'd be stupid. There'd be no point in having this forum then really at all. What I was saying as I couldn't be any more clearer, or at least I thought, was for you to be more careful with possibly labeling or calling some folks non true laker fans or anything along those lines just because some of their views or most of their views don't happen to coincide with yours so much.

i've had some issues here with people questioning me as a laker fan for critizing some laker players, specifically sasha vujacic. i still don't think that criticizing a player makes you any less or any more of a laker fan. +1

#19 Scott P

Scott P

Rookie

• 811 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Sedalle Threatt

Posted September 25, 2009 - 10:43 PM

On creative lineups - "We're talking a little bit about a big lineup with Kobe and Artest, Lamar, Pau and Andrew. There's a variety of guys can fit into that but also those five as an overwhelming group that can do some things - with the type of offense we run, they can function quite well without a point guard."

Would love to see this line-up. Be an interesting experiment. Could work like gang-busters.

#20 Machinehead

Machinehead

BringBackSasha

• 6,671 posts
  • Name:Daniel
  • Fan Since:Radmanovic's long hair days.
  • Fav. Laker:Sasha Vujacic

Posted September 26, 2009 - 12:53 AM

Dynasties, you don't have to defend yourself anymore man. There are people like you on this board who are able to see the big picture without getting tripped up on the small negatives.

Don't waste your energy on those who continue to have narrow views. These people will continue to complain whether we're the champs or not.

I'm just as excited as you and share your thoughts completely.

We are SO BEYOND loaded and I can't wait for them to get on the court!

+1
People complain way too much, we need more people who can see the big picture. Thats why Im a wins>stats guy.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users