New Dual Screen Laptops

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 10,920 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted August 31, 2009 - 12:18 PM

Canova Dual Touch Screen Laptop In early 2010
SRP about $4000
Posted Image
Posted Image

or this one...
G SCREEN SPACEBOOK ON SALE BY CHRISTMAS 2009
SRP: about $2600
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 K. Dot

K. Dot

Spark & Fly

• 3,712 posts
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 31, 2009 - 12:28 PM

Eh, no point.

#3 YoungKidd7

YoungKidd7

TLN OG

• 2,211 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted August 31, 2009 - 12:51 PM

Why is that necessary again?

#4 K. Dot

K. Dot

Spark & Fly

• 3,712 posts

Posted August 31, 2009 - 12:52 PM

No need for it at all kb34.

#5 YoungKidd7

YoungKidd7

TLN OG

• 2,211 posts
  • Name:Chris
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted August 31, 2009 - 01:32 PM

No need for it at all kb34.

http://lakernation.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/laughing.gif It's the stupidest thing ever.

#6 K. Dot

K. Dot

Spark & Fly

• 3,712 posts

Posted August 31, 2009 - 01:57 PM

Ya, maybe gaming nerds need it for the "ultimate" experience, lol.

#7 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted August 31, 2009 - 02:32 PM

I've used dual screens in the past (all windows laptops should be equiped to do this, all you need is a spare monitor), and it's very useful. You could full screen vids on one monitor, and a web browser on another. Text editor on one, then conveniently having the compiler on the other. For film class, it was very convenient having the movie on one monitor and msword on the other. Or for graphic designers who use a lot of windows, it's great to have different images to work with on different monitors. More desktop space to work with is always a good thing. If you are a computer user who doesn't use it for anything else other than word processing, surfing, and other simple tasks, this isn't for you.

I wouldn't go and buy a dual screen laptop though, but definitely plan on having 2 or even 3 monitor desktop set up once I can afford it.

Edited by daco_inc, August 31, 2009 - 02:33 PM.

#8 Kam

Kam

Basketball Immortality

• 2,455 posts
  • Name:Kam Pashai

Posted August 31, 2009 - 02:36 PM

... Woooooow. :o

#9 lyk13

lyk13

BACK 2 BACK NBA CHAMPIONS

• 4,722 posts
  • Fan Since:1999 (But reminiscent all the way back till 1960s, even 1948)
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Wilt Chamberlain

Posted August 31, 2009 - 04:07 PM

Desktops desktops desktops - Dual Screen.

LAPTOPS!? I'd just hook em up to the desktop dual screens. =/ Laptop in the first place is meant for portability. Of course there are ppl that just put it at home as their desktop but...what % is that!?

#10 lakerswiz

lakerswiz

Off The Bench

• 2,578 posts

Posted August 31, 2009 - 05:07 PM

If you can't imagine a reason for it to be useful or just think it would be for gaming than probably don't do much on the computer other than myspace and facebook.

There is SOOO MUCH use with dual screens. I can't wait until I can get a new monitor set-up.

I can be doing school work, or photoshop work and have my myspace / facebook on the other screen. I can have photoshop open on one screen and then a tutorial on the other screen.

Putting this with a laptop is just incredible.

#11 lyk13

lyk13

• 4,722 posts

Posted September 01, 2009 - 05:54 AM

If you can't imagine a reason for it to be useful or just think it would be for gaming than probably don't do much on the computer other than myspace and facebook.

There is SOOO MUCH use with dual screens. I can't wait until I can get a new monitor set-up.

I can be doing school work, or photoshop work and have my myspace / facebook on the other screen. I can have photoshop open on one screen and then a tutorial on the other screen.

Putting this with a laptop is just incredible.

On a desktop for multi-monitor setup, it's already a staple. But for laptops, ok, I'm not an avid user of a laptop all the time, but for a multi-display laptop option, how viable of portability is that? Unless your laptop is stationary most of the time, which defeats the purpose of portability for laptops. Of course, there's the other option of ppl using laptops as desktop replacements.

#12 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted September 01, 2009 - 05:03 PM

On a desktop for multi-monitor setup, it's already a staple. But for laptops, ok, I'm not an avid user of a laptop all the time, but for a multi-display laptop option, how viable of portability is that? Unless your laptop is stationary most of the time, which defeats the purpose of portability for laptops. Of course, there's the other option of ppl using laptops as desktop replacements.

It looks just as portable as a regular laptop. If room is limited, I'm sure you can just turn off one of the displays and use a single monitor.

#13 lyk13

lyk13

• 4,722 posts

Posted September 02, 2009 - 05:31 AM

It looks just as portable as a regular laptop. If room is limited, I'm sure you can just turn off one of the displays and use a single monitor.

It 'looks'. Bottom line, it's still another peripheral you have to carry around. I'd say this is for desktop replacement or some long-term use at a fix location or something...I'm not particularly a fan of lugging too many things for my laptop around. 1 Laptop, 1 AC adapter is heavy enough. =.= Not to even mention the laptop is 15", not 17". =.=

I'm not throwing the idea away ok? I love multi-displays, but for laptops, I really do not see(yet) the need. But it's an innovation.

Edit: I was under the impression it's an attachment. Now that I re-evaluated that it's not, I wonder what's the weight combined with the other screen? Ignore my 'seriousness' above, as I was on the wrong impression.

Edited by lyk13, September 02, 2009 - 05:33 AM.

#14 Hero

Hero

Where imaginations run wild

• 2,569 posts
  • Name:Jerome
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson

Posted September 02, 2009 - 08:38 AM

Great looking computers! But for practicality uses, I don't think it'd be a fit for my needs right now. It'd be great if someone gave it as a gift though.

spupissuelo.gif

RIP Dad. I miss you so very much...

July 27, 2011 4:00 AM.

#15 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts

Posted September 02, 2009 - 11:55 PM

It 'looks'. Bottom line, it's still another peripheral you have to carry around. I'd say this is for desktop replacement or some long-term use at a fix location or something...I'm not particularly a fan of lugging too many things for my laptop around. 1 Laptop, 1 AC adapter is heavy enough. =.= Not to even mention the laptop is 15", not 17". =.=

I'm not throwing the idea away ok? I love multi-displays, but for laptops, I really do not see(yet) the need. But it's an innovation.

Edit: I was under the impression it's an attachment. Now that I re-evaluated that it's not, I wonder what's the weight combined with the other screen? Ignore my 'seriousness' above, as I was on the wrong impression.

Hah no worries. It's just the internet.

I don't think it'll weigh that much more than a regular laptop. An extra display shouldn't add that much. One realistic concern though is battery life/power consumption (and might as well add in temperature too). Displays take up most of the battery if I'm not mistaken, so two displays would demand a lot. It would need to be extremely efficient and strong battery.

#16 lyk13

lyk13

• 4,722 posts

Posted September 03, 2009 - 06:12 AM

Hah no worries. It's just the internet.

I don't think it'll weigh that much more than a regular laptop. An extra display shouldn't add that much. One realistic concern though is battery life/power consumption (and might as well add in temperature too). Displays take up most of the battery if I'm not mistaken, so two displays would demand a lot. It would need to be extremely efficient and strong battery.

:P

Yeah the battery is my main concern too now that you said it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users