#1 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,823 posts

Posted September 03, 2008 - 06:28 PM

LOS ANGELES LAKERS
What went right:

They re-signed Sasha

Seeking continuity for his defending Western Conference champs, GM Mitch Kupchak re-signed sharp-shooting reserve guard Sasha Vujacic to a three-year, $15 million contract. Vujacic proved a key contributor off the bench a year ago, averaging 8.8 points (on 43.7 percent shooting from downtown) in just 17.8 minutes. With so few other long-range threats who can also defend, the Lakers could not afford to let Vujacic get away.

Bynum made progress

In news that had Lakers Nation breathing a sigh of relief, third-year center Andrew Bynum continued to make progress in his rehabilitation from offseason knee surgery. The 7-foot, 280-pounder, who blossomed into a star a year ago, was reported to be bigger and stronger, and showing no ill effects from the knee injury that wiped out his season last January. Bynum was expected to be 100 percent healthy for the start of training camp.

They imported some Sun

It probably won't pay big dividends this season, but Kupchak added a piece for the future by signing Chinese guard Sun Yue to a two-year contract. The 6-9 Sun, the Lakers' second-round pick (No. 40) in '07, started for China's national team at the Olympics and is considered a solid prospect. For the short term he will compete for playing time with Jordan Farmar as backup in the L.A. backcourt.

What went wrong:

They didn't trade Odom

Maybe it will turn out to be the right move, but hanging on to Lamar Odom (at least for now) appears to be a big risk. The 6-10 forward is talented, but his lackluster showing in last year's Finals was a bad sign. Odom's height, meanwhile, is less of a factor now that the Lakers will have Bynum and Pau Gasol in the frontcourt. Ideally, L.A. would have been able to move him for a better defender/outside shooter on the perimeter.

They struck out on Posey and Barry

Kupchak tried to land free agents James Posey (Hornets) and Brent Barry (Rockets), but both veteran forwards opted to sign elsewhere. Due to financial constraints, Kupchak then decided not to match Golden State's offer sheet for reserve forward Ronny Turiaf (four years, $17 million). The loss of Turiaf, without the addition of any other proven veteran, leaves L.A.'s Bench Mob a bit thin in the frontcourt.

Kobe didn't get any rest

After carrying the Lakers through a long season that stretched into June, Kobe Bryant spent the summer helping lead Team USA to the gold medal at the Beijing Olympics. Due to those commitments, the reigning MVP also put off surgery to repair ligament damage in his right pinky. Bryant insists he's feeling spry as ever at age 30, but it remains to be seen how the long season affects him down the stretch next spring.

Grade: B-

Synopsis: The defending conference champs seem to be in good shape with a healthy Kobe and Bynum. But will they make a move with Odom?

http://sportsillustr...ex.html?eref=T1

Edited by ickerfan567, September 03, 2008 - 06:29 PM.

#2 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,455 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:20 PM

Seems like a fair grade
Posted Image

#3 Cookie

Cookie

"C" is NOT for Cookie!!

• 6,277 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:35 PM

i agree we shud have traded odom...

Posted Image

#4 Aceis²FresH

Aceis²FresH

║│ █│║ ▌║│█║▌║▌║

• 2,701 posts
  • Fav. Laker:#32.

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:43 PM

L.O is gone by Feb.

#5 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:48 PM

I give it a D, Boston exposed our finesse game instead of resigning our hustle and dirty type player Turiaf we overpay Sasha when we already have 3point shooters in Fish, Farmar and Vlad. Now we have 3 guys in Luke, Sasha and Vlad making 16mill total a year, yikes. Hopefully we sign a backup center Mourning or Harrison and i would upgrade the off-season to a B, but as along as Mihm is on the roster we are in trouble at the back up c position.

Edited by popo, September 03, 2008 - 07:49 PM.

Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#6 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,198 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted September 03, 2008 - 07:52 PM

Keep Lo

who are we gonna trade for shawn marion his shooting scares me

If you trade Lo do it for prince

#7 Maddocks

Maddocks

Hunt You Down Without Mercy

• 5,329 posts

Posted September 03, 2008 - 08:02 PM

L.O is gone by Feb.

if our record is not as good as last year at the time, hes gone. But if its just as good or better, he will stay.

I see faith in your eyes
never you hear the discouraging lies
broken is the promise, betrayal
the healing hand held back by deepened nail
follow the god that failed

#8 Louizzle

Louizzle

L.A. All Day

• 945 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Derek Fisher

Posted September 03, 2008 - 08:47 PM

I have high expectations for Odom this season. He better deliver or he's out.

Made By Vaporize

#9 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted September 03, 2008 - 09:18 PM

Does anyone else feel that Kobe will have another MVP-like season? ;)

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#10 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,070 posts

Posted September 03, 2008 - 09:41 PM

lamar has been put into the kwame role

he either performs from the get go or hes gone by mid december

phil and rambis have clearly lost patience with him in the finals with their "hes not doing anything out there"(paraphrase) statements

but they feel it best to not make snap judgments and see how he does in a full time glue guy role

no more 2nd option or even 3rd option he is the fourth option and he can just make solid passes, grab rebounds keep the team moving

if he struggles hes gone plain and simple most likely for shawn marion
Posted Image

#11 daco_inc

daco_inc

Starter

• 4,431 posts
  • Fan Since:birth
  • Fav. Laker:growing up: magic, now: kobe

Posted September 03, 2008 - 11:58 PM

lamar has been put into the kwame role

he either performs from the get go or hes gone by mid december

phil and rambis have clearly lost patience with him in the finals with their "hes not doing anything out there"(paraphrase) statements

but they feel it best to not make snap judgments and see how he does in a full time glue guy role

no more 2nd option or even 3rd option he is the fourth option and he can just make solid passes, grab rebounds keep the team moving

if he struggles hes gone plain and simple most likely for shawn marion

How can you compare Lamar to KWAMAY BROWN? Lamar on an off day is still better than Kwame at his best.

And why do some people assume it'll be that easy to trade him and to get someone of equal value? Prince and Marion (minus the ego) is a better fit for us at the SF, and it were that easy to get them, we would have.

And we recently learned Odom played with a lot of pain during the playoffs. We had no one on our bench who could play as well as even an injured Odom, so I commend him for sucking it up and playing. If he didn't play through the pain, I guarantee you we don't even make it to the finals.

#12 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,587 posts
  • Name:Alexi
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 04, 2008 - 01:22 AM

what was our rating last season?
The Kobe didn't get any rest is bs, he is resting now, he is not 70 he is 30. He will get enough rest. And his pinky is a non-factor.

Edited by netlord, September 04, 2008 - 01:22 AM.

Posted Image

#13 Daloyalfan18

Daloyalfan18

Rookie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Name:Justin
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted September 04, 2008 - 08:00 AM

Does anyone else feel that Kobe will have another MVP-like season? :crazy:

I definitely do! :rock:

#14 nameant

nameant

Reppin from TX

• 1,227 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 04, 2008 - 08:56 AM

They struck out on Posey and Barry

Kupchak tried to land free agents James Posey (Hornets) and Brent Barry (Rockets), but both veteran forwards opted to sign elsewhere. Due to financial constraints, Kupchak then decided not to match Golden State's offer sheet for reserve forward Ronny Turiaf (four years, $17 million). The loss of Turiaf, without the addition of any other proven veteran, leaves L.A.'s Bench Mob a bit thin in the frontcourt.

Translation:

- Mitch didn't overpay for Posey like the Hornets did.
- Brent Barry is garbage.
- Mitch didn't overpay for Turiaf like the Warriors did.

#15 A_V_R

A_V_R

A firm disbeliever in your punch clock promise

• 394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Andrew Bynum

Posted September 04, 2008 - 10:00 AM

Translation:

- Mitch didn't overpay for Posey like the Hornets did.
- Brent Barry is garbage.
- Mitch didn't overpay for Turiaf like the Warriors did.

True brent barry had 2 good games and just because they were against us everyone went ape ish over him. Turiaf iam going to miss, but mostly from his activity on the bench. And when thats your worst problem heading into a season you know you have it pretty good.

Edited by A_V_R, September 04, 2008 - 10:00 AM.

#16 ファイナルファンタジ

ファイナルファンタジ

Pump Up The Fruit

• 12,134 posts
  • Name:Jerry
  • Fan Since:Forever
  • Fav. Laker:コービーブライアント

Posted September 04, 2008 - 01:11 PM

I definitely do! :clap:

Another scoring title? I don't know I wouldn't count on it though. Maybe All-Star MVP but that could be anybody (I think they do it by votes now from people). I just want the West to win again.

Posted Image
Team Farmar
United we stand. Divided we fall.

#17 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,823 posts

Posted September 04, 2008 - 02:09 PM

Kobe would have an OK season by his standards due to fatigue

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users