• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#61 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted August 25, 2009 - 06:53 AM

Cliff Lee...what a HUGE pickup for the Phillies. He has been absolutely ridiculous.
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com
blog.travisjrodgers.com (Lakers stuff)

#62 Guest_Ari Gold_*

Guest_Ari Gold_*

Posted August 25, 2009 - 12:08 PM

^ Every other team in the league, especially all the contending teams with a decent shot, are effin' STUPID, just STUPID! STUPID STUPID STUPID!! WTF was everyone else thinking? My goodness.

Especially for what the Phillies got him for. So simple. They hardly gave up anything meaningful. [expletive] Roy Halladay. Cliff Lee's been pitching way better than him. & Roy's asking price was effin' ridiculous. Stupid Dodgers (Colletti claims he actually tried, well you didn't try hard enough dumbarase), stupid Angels, Red Sox, Yankees even, etc.

This guy could've put a stamp possibly on any one of those teams, but not as much as the Phillies I guess.

I mean you still got Cole Hamels, eventhough he's been struggling, I'd assume he's gonna' pick it up come playoff time, that AJ dude, phenomenal, Blanton, excellent ERA, Pedro, solid pickup, Moyer, who's old as heck, but can still pitch damn well, starting OR bullpen, either way.

Then they got all the hitting down, the home run power, rbi machines, Victorino, who is a terror everywhere and was the Dodger killer last year, etc.

I've had the Phillies all season pretty much in the top 3 of teams most likely to win it all, but ever since they got Lee, they've been #1 easily for me, regardless of them not having the best record right now. They win so many of their games easily as well, in blowout fashion and if need be it come to a close tight nit game low scoring in the playoffs, they have the pitching to win, and all they need is 1 or 2 clutch hits or home runs and they're good, and they're more than capable of that as well.

Ibanez was a very solid pickup in the offseason as well after losing Burrell.

I don't really like the Phillies personally, but I know when I see a great team and can give props.

#63 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted August 26, 2009 - 08:08 AM

Your Philadelphia Phillies' Closer, Bad Lidge

The Overall Numbers
25 saves, 9 blown saves (74%), 7.33 ERA, 1.80 WHIP, .299 BAA. With the league wide average at around 70% of saves converted, Lidge's save conversion rate is about the only thing that looks good in his line. He is not striking out as many hitters as he has in the past, is walking a ton, and is serving up home runs regularly.

Consistently Bad
A month-by-month look reveals that Lidge has never really come close to getting things together. And while things were bad in the past, they may be about as dire as they have been. There seems little reason to think he will snap out of this funk any time soon.

April: Lidge was 4/5 (80%) in save opportunities. That is about where the good news stopped. He allowed 3 HR in 8.2 innings, yielded a 7.27 ERA, a 1.85 WHIP, and opposing batters hit .297. Phillies fans gave him a pass because he had been utterly dominant the previous season. It seemed this dark cloud would pass. It did not.

May: Lidge converted 8 of 11 save opportunities (73%), which was solid. He failed to whiff a batter per inning with 14 in 16 IP. His ERA and BAA crept up to 7.98 and .317, respectively. His WHIP dipped by 1/100th of a point to 1.84. Even with that conversion rate, Lidge tossed one of his worst months with the Phillies. It turns out he was dealing with an injury. So June crept around and it appeared things would be sorted out.

June: Lidge pitched just 4 innings in the month, but was rocked to the tune of 10 base runners (2.50 WHIP), a .353 BAA, and a pathetic 2:4 K:BB ratio. He saved 2 games and blew 2 others (50%). His ERA was somehow the best of the season at 6.75. He was bad before going on the DL (1/3 on save chances, took a Loss) and bad when he came back (2 ER in 1.1 IP, 0 Ks, 3 BB). Fans began seriously to fret. It looked as if the time on the DL did not solve the problem.

July: Lidge posted what was without a doubt his best month of the season. He converted all 6 save opportunities, held hitters to a .222 BAA, and struck out 13 in 10.2 innings. Unfortunately, his WHIP (while his best monthly number) was 1.41 and his ERA (again, his best) was 5.91. These are just terrible numbers. Still, it is difficult to complain when a guy converts all of his save chances. Lidge purchased himself some time.

August: Things have been disastrous. Lidge has converted 5 of 8 opportunities (63%), has seen his worst ERA in a month (8.31) and his WHIP (1.85) and BAA (.324) are both pathetic.

Another Closer?
The Phillies do not have any great options on hand. Ryan Madson, Clay Condrey, Chad Durbin, and Jack Taschner have combined to save 7 games, but they have blown 7 saves. That's a 50% conversion rate. A playoff team simply must hold games when they have the chance to hold them.

Madson, who would seem a good bet to assume closing duties, is deadly as a setup man (2.95 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, and .232 BAA). He is shaky in closing (4/8 in save opportunities).

J.C. Romero has pitched well (2.87 ERA, .208 BAA), but has been on the DL most of the year since serving an early season suspension. He has not pitched since mid-July. He has converted just 4 of 27 save opportunities in his career.

Brett Myers is currently on the DL, but he has pitched well in a recent rehab start (hitting 93-94 MPH in a shutout inning). He was a very good starter in the early going on this season, but it is thought unlikely that he will be able to build the stamina to reclaim a starting spot. As a reliever in 2007, he went 5-5, posted a 2.87 ERA, and converted 21 of 24 opportunities (88%). Myers may be the Phillies' best bet to find a replacement at the major league level and within the organization.
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#64 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted August 26, 2009 - 07:45 PM

Ryan Howard's numbers in August:

23 games
26-93 (.280)
16 runs
9 HR
29 RBI
1 SB

He's up to 35 HR, 107 RBI
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#65 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,923 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 26, 2009 - 09:16 PM

can't wait for the rematch in playoffs

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#66 Guest_Ari Gold_*

Guest_Ari Gold_*

Posted August 26, 2009 - 09:22 PM

Dodgers MIGHT have a shot against them, but I can't see us beating Cliff Lee if he keeps pitching the way he has been. Hamels has been struggling though, but I expect him to turn it around quick once the playoffs get under way.

#67 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted August 27, 2009 - 04:18 AM

I loved seeing THAT Cole Hamels last night. Good outing...blown by another guy who, while I love him as a setup man, cannot close. Playoffs could be awesome or very frustrating for me and other Phillies fans. Knowing that some of these guys are better than they're playing (mostly pitchers) is so frustrating.
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#68 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted August 29, 2009 - 04:54 AM

Ryan Howard's numbers in August:

25 games
29-99 (.293)
18 runs
11 HR
33 RBI
1 SB

He's up to 37 HR, 111 RBI

UPDATED
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#69 Guest_Chicano_*

Guest_Chicano_*

Posted August 29, 2009 - 04:57 AM

^ That is ridiculous.

#70 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,923 posts

Posted September 23, 2009 - 09:52 PM

lol lidge

Pujols messed him so bad he's still feelin it.

Edited by MDI, September 23, 2009 - 09:52 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#71 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted September 24, 2009 - 04:27 AM

When exactly did this "messing" happen? Lidge came into the season bad, had an ERA of 7 in his first month, had already given up 3 HR, had blown saves before ever facing Pujols. Lidge sucks, but Pujols has nothing to do with it.

I wrote another article on Lidge last night:

rodgersreport.wordpress.com
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#72 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted September 30, 2009 - 04:55 PM

They've been slipping severely, but they're up by 2 right now in the fifth and may do some more damage. Magic number at 1 for the Phils. CLINCH TONIGHT.

Interesting stats...

Home Runs: Howard 43, Werth 35, Ibanez 33, Utley 31
Runs: Utley 112, Howard 101, Victorino 100, Rollins 100, Werth 95, Ibanez 92

Four guys with 30+ homers, six guys with 92+ runs (and now 4 of them at 100).
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#73 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted September 30, 2009 - 06:19 PM

Update: PHILS CLINCH!!!

Howard 43, Werth 35, Ibanez 34, Utley 31
Utley 112, Howard 102, Victorino 101, Rollins 100, Werth 95, Ibanez 93
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#74 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted October 07, 2009 - 12:17 PM

Let's wind it up a bit.

Phils up 2-0 in the 6th.
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#75 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted October 08, 2009 - 05:33 AM

Lee tosses a gem, Phils move to 1-0. Nice.
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#76 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted October 12, 2009 - 06:34 PM

Ryan Howard. Boom.

Phils Win.
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#77 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,366 posts

Posted October 13, 2009 - 12:17 PM

Just wanted to wish the Phillies good luck. We get a rematch and you guys got the better of us last season. With out young guys developing into big time players this season, this series will be better than last years. Again good luck, it all starts Thursday.

#78 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted October 15, 2009 - 09:09 AM

Just wanted to wish the Phillies good luck. We get a rematch and you guys got the better of us last season. With out young guys developing into big time players this season, this series will be better than last years. Again good luck, it all starts Thursday.

Let's get it on. Should be fun. Hamels's performance in game 1 is huge for Philly.
Former Phils looking for revenge in Dodger blue is huge for you guys.

Both teams had some very nice pitching in their first series, especially Dodgers.
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#79 trodgers

trodgers

Gentleman, Scholar

• 741 posts

Posted October 15, 2009 - 08:17 PM

Small strike zone tonight. That was maddening. Too many good hitters on both sides so every at bat was tense.

Can't believe Utley booted that double play ball.
@Travis_Rodgers
www.travisjrodgers.com

#80 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted October 15, 2009 - 08:54 PM

I tip my hat to the Phillies, they proved why they are the defending champs in this game. Let's see what happens tomorrow, looks like it will be a very close series.

Edited by LakersChamps243, October 15, 2009 - 08:55 PM.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users