Photo

Why are there fans? Why are you rooting for them?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 epicwolf

epicwolf

#1 Clipper hater

• 3,167 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Mamba

Posted July 19, 2009 - 09:36 PM

I grew up watching sports all my life. As a kid I was a very shy kid and I hardly go out of the house to play with other kids. Only friends I made was in school. So I spend most of my childhood in the house watching t.v. It was during my first 10 years on this earth starting in 1980 where I watch amazing sports games with my dad and starting to root for the teams my dad root far. Then suddenly when Magic Johnson announced his retirement due to H.I.V Virus, my dad was so crushed and stop watching sports all together. Those were also the years when Joe Montana about to hang it up but he actually got traded. The two favorite players that my dad idolized was pretty much gone. I asked my dad how can you stop watching sports all together just like that? He never gave me a straight answer or what causes him to not become a fan of the teams he root for anymore. He just tells me this that I never forget. "they dont pay my bills."

It was 1993 when he told me that and i was 13. I wasn't sure what he meant by that. But now I've realized what he meant by it. You see I am not a typical sports fans that most people on here realized. I am Asian decent and not only that I am Vietnamese. If you dont know by now, not many asians let alone Viets are really into sports. If you hang out with a lot of asians you probably know that most of them only watch for the gambling. Most of my friends are asians and none of them are hardcore sports fans. They have no favorite team. They dont root for anyone. They only watch big games like the finals, superbowl or World Series. ANd mostly because they got money on it. So throughout my life I wasn't surrounded by sports fanatic at all. None of my family members are sports fans. I spend most of my time watching sports alone and listening to sports radio by myself at work. I am a huge sports fan and I follow the 4 major sports in the U.S very closely.

Though there comes a time when I wanted to know why there are fans. Why are you rooting for a team? Why do you feel horrible when they lose and feel like having orgasm when they win? Bottom line is why do you care? One of my friend always asked me that question whenever I have to call off a dinner date or an event because I have to watch a Lakers game or a 49ers game or if the Angels play in the playoffs. He asked me "why do you work your schedule around a sports game? Why do you care so much for a team? They don't pay your bills, they dont make you rich. Heck they probably don't even know you exist. So why do you care so much?" He pretty much asked me why I am a fan.

I get asked those questions all my life because I wasn't surrounded by sports fans who understand how it is be fans of a team. I just tell them that sports is an escape for me. Unfortantely I am not gifted to be an athlete, but love to watch the game. There's a lot of BS in this world and to have something that makes you escape from this world like a sports event or music is a gift from the man above. I know that the Lakers doesnt pay my bills and in fact I am paying their bills by buying their products. And I know that the Lakers doesnt know who I am or really care to know. I know that athletes can sign autographs all they want but they truely dont care if you threw it away or you hang it up in your room. THey couldnt care less. And I know that I wont get a championship ring just for being a fan if they end up winning. All I know is that they gave me something to cheer about when life gives me lemon. I know that no matter how crappy my day is, seeing my team win a game makes the day a lot better. Its hard to watch a game without rooting for anyone or any team. Unless you have money on it. I dont gamble so I rarely bet on sports games and I never ever bet against my team. Do the Lakers or any other team care about their fans? I believe they do. Not as individuals because I know they couldnt care less about the individuals. I mean how can you keep up with millions of fans one at a time? But they do care about the fans because we pay their bills. And the way they repay us is to perform well. Because they want to make us feel good. And that's why I root for them to win. I dont want to feel crappy. Sports is an escape for me and to escape feeling good is always a good thing.

Why are there Lakers Nations? Why are there Raider Nations? WHy are there Red Sox nations? Why are there nations representing their team? Is it really your team even though you dont own the team? I want to hear from you guys why you are a fans. What's the point of being a fan of a sports franchise when they dont know you exist individually.

MDA is an offensive genius. I hope he sticks to his guns and keeps doing what he does best: Run and Gun. That's the only way to coach.

#2 Sal

Sal

Rookie

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:jordan farmar

Posted July 19, 2009 - 09:40 PM

I grew up watching sports all my life. As a kid I was a very shy kid and I hardly go out of the house to play with other kids. Only friends I made was in school. So I spend most of my childhood in the house watching t.v. It was during my first 10 years on this earth starting in 1980 where I watch amazing sports games with my dad and starting to root for the teams my dad root far. Then suddenly when Magic Johnson announced his retirement due to H.I.V Virus, my dad was so crushed and stop watching sports all together. Those were also the years when Joe Montana about to hang it up but he actually got traded. The two favorite players that my dad idolized was pretty much gone. I asked my dad how can you stop watching sports all together just like that? He never gave me a straight answer or what causes him to not become a fan of the teams he root for anymore. He just tells me this that I never forget. "they dont pay my bills."

It was 1993 when he told me that and i was 13. I wasn't sure what he meant by that. But now I've realized what he meant by it. You see I am not a typical sports fans that most people on here realized. I am Asian decent and not only that I am Vietnamese. If you dont know by now, not many asians let alone Viets are really into sports. If you hang out with a lot of asians you probably know that most of them only watch for the gambling. Most of my friends are asians and none of them are hardcore sports fans. They have no favorite team. They dont root for anyone. They only watch big games like the finals, superbowl or World Series. ANd mostly because they got money on it. So throughout my life I wasn't surrounded by sports fanatic at all. None of my family members are sports fans. I spend most of my time watching sports alone and listening to sports radio by myself at work. I am a huge sports fan and I follow the 4 major sports in the U.S very closely.

Though there comes a time when I wanted to know why there are fans. Why are you rooting for a team? Why do you feel horrible when they lose and feel like having orgasm when they win? Bottom line is why do you care? One of my friend always asked me that question whenever I have to call off a dinner date or an event because I have to watch a Lakers game or a 49ers game or if the Angels play in the playoffs. He asked me "why do you work your schedule around a sports game? Why do you care so much for a team? They don't pay your bills, they dont make you rich. Heck they probably don't even know you exist. So why do you care so much?" He pretty much asked me why I am a fan.

I get asked those questions all my life because I wasn't surrounded by sports fans who understand how it is be fans of a team. I just tell them that sports is an escape for me. Unfortantely I am not gifted to be an athlete, but love to watch the game. There's a lot of BS in this world and to have something that makes you escape from this world like a sports event or music is a gift from the man above. I know that the Lakers doesnt pay my bills and in fact I am paying their bills by buying their products. And I know that the Lakers doesnt know who I am or really care to know. I know that athletes can sign autographs all they want but they truely dont care if you threw it away or you hang it up in your room. THey couldnt care less. And I know that I wont get a championship ring just for being a fan if they end up winning. All I know is that they gave me something to cheer about when life gives me lemon. I know that no matter how crappy my day is, seeing my team win a game makes the day a lot better. Its hard to watch a game without rooting for anyone or any team. Unless you have money on it. I dont gamble so I rarely bet on sports games and I never ever bet against my team. Do the Lakers or any other team care about their fans? I believe they do. Not as individuals because I know they couldnt care less about the individuals. I mean how can you keep up with millions of fans one at a time? But they do care about the fans because we pay their bills. And the way they repay us is to perform well. Because they want to make us feel good. And that's why I root for them to win. I dont want to feel crappy. Sports is an escape for me and to escape feeling good is always a good thing.

Why are there Lakers Nations? Why are there Raider Nations? WHy are there Red Sox nations? Why are there nations representing their team? Is it really your team even though you dont own the team? I want to hear from you guys why you are a fans. What's the point of being a fan of a sports franchise when they dont know you exist individually.

I lost interest. Longest post ever.
I'm here to kick [expletive] and take names!

#3 kb24_lakers

kb24_lakers

Katy Perry

• 7,108 posts
  • Name:JUAN
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted July 19, 2009 - 09:48 PM

Im a fan cuz i gotta root for the teams in the city i was born in.
[Lakers
Dodgers
RIP Amy Winehouse

#4 GP1_KB24

GP1_KB24

Dedication 4.

• 20,198 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Dwight.

Posted November 07, 2009 - 10:05 AM

Good topic... I don't think a lot of people answered because people don't know what the answer is. Once you get into sports and a sports team if your a true fan you'll never leave and you feel like it's your duty to rep. your team.

5 Letters... 'YMCMB'

Posted Image

#5 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,558 posts

Posted November 07, 2009 - 10:22 AM

it really is an inner feeling its hard to describe...you can't let go even if you try, no matter how horrible they are you tune into watch them and support them..thats the case for me at least

its love at first sight, and its such a strong relationship that you would go out of your way to defend it

bw1wOGf.png

#6 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,495 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 07, 2009 - 10:32 AM

it really is an inner feeling its hard to describe...you can't let go even if you try, no matter how horrible they are you tune into watch them and support them..thats the case for me at least

its love at first sight, and its such a strong relationship that you would go out of your way to defend it

yeah man, its like my second gf!
Posted Image

#7 Air Apparent

Air Apparent

"Never underestimate the heart of a CHAMPION!"

• 8,558 posts

Posted November 07, 2009 - 10:34 AM

yeah man, its like my second gf!

i think a perfect example of that feeling is that d-wade converse commercial, his letter to basketball

bw1wOGf.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users