USC Trojans Football Thread

• Please log in to reply
452 replies to this topic

#441 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,938 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 02:16 PM

^^^^They're going to get a lot of big time recruits. They still hold that edge on ucla smh haha

#442 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,193 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted December 22, 2013 - 03:24 PM

my poor bulldogs :(

ap1.png

#443 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 22, 2013 - 10:31 PM

^^^^They're going to get a lot of big time recruits. They still hold that edge on ucla smh haha

The one thing I am looking forward to is the recruiting being directed more to California players.  Under Kiffin, he ignored a lot of California talent and went out of state more times than not. 

That's why UCLA the past couple of seasons have done well in California recruiting and taking recruits away from USC.  The one thing I will say that UCLA needs to be ready for is the next 2-3 seasons of Mora to the NFL rumors.  That's where he wants to be and that affects recruiting greatly.  It hurt us for 3-4 seasons when Pete Carroll to the NFL rumors started up. 

#444 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,938 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 11:55 AM

So you're saying that its going to only take Mora 2 season at UCLA to gain interest from NFL teams, when it took Pete 8 season and 2 National Championships? If you think he's that good.....lol. To me, Mora has yet to really accomplish anything at UCLA. The talent was already there and lucked out that he was here when SC had 2 down seasons. 

We are going to peak these next 2 seasons, we will have top 5 caliber talent on the team. If Mora is unable win anything outstanding by then, then he's just a okay college football coach. Not a great one like Pete Carroll. So i would be prefecture okay if he would want to jump ship to the NFL and UCLA gets another crack at finding the 1. Its not hard to win at UCLA like the media likes to perceive it to be, we have always been a top attraction for great talent. Look at all the success UCLA alums have in the NFL.

But the archetypes between SC and UCLA seem to be changing. Its very similar to when Toledo left UCLA during the late 90s and UCLA lucked out on coaching changes for the next decade. While SC struck gold with Carroll, but idk too early to tell.

#445 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 11:53 PM

0b184877-bc12-e311-99e4-002655e6c126_ori

juju-smith-lb-poly-2014-all-american-cla

fe8fbf53-4268-e311-b330-002655e6c126_ori

#446 mrclutch

mrclutch

Rookie

• 1,139 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:michael cooper

Posted February 06, 2014 - 08:08 AM

Back to back great classes lol
I'd like to pair smith in the secondary with cravens but we'll see

#447 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,938 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 08:27 AM

Back to back great classes lol
I'd like to pair smith in the secondary with cravens but we'll see

It'll be such waste to put him at receiver. Your guys o-line and secondary got so much better after this class.

#448 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 11:22 AM

It'll be such waste to put him at receiver. Your guys o-line and secondary got so much better after this class.

Our defense actually has some nice depth this season at DB.  JuJu and Adoree are going to play both ways this season, that's a big reason for them committing to USC, among other things. 

Another aspect many people haven't talked about, we have three preferred walk-ons: CB - Davonte Nunnery (St. Bonnie), LB - Grant Moore (Mater Dei) and QB Larry Tuileta (Punahou).  Some recruiting services have them as 2 star and 3 star players.  With those guys and transfer DE- Delvon Simmons eligible to play, we essentially brought in a class of 23 (two off a full class). 

We need some WR depth.  Agholor, Rogers, and Blackwell are the three guys returning who were healthy last season. Farmer and Mitchell are both coming off ACL injuries so if they are healthy, that helps but its an unknown at this point. 

As for OL, I am excited about this class. Mama was a huge get (literally) but thing with him is he will play next season, then go on his mission for two years. 

Next year's recruiting class is going to be awesome.  Great California class so USC/UCLA will go head to head.  We already got Ricky Town at QB and Josh Rosen should be headed to UCLA, so two 5 star QB's already headlining the class. 

#449 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,938 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 12:53 PM

I think Juju, Adoree, and Mama were going to SC all along lol. I actually really think they're been silents for some time and just decided to all commit on NSD for the press. My bad about that secondary comment, I forgot how strong you guys recruit there. It is the front 7 that you guys are hurting right now with all of early exits and graduations.

I'm really excited for this upcoming recruiting cycle. We can finally see if SC still has their hold on the in-state talent or if UCLA really has caught up. A lot of fun recruiting battles are coming up. I personally think that you guys got Iman Marshall and Houston already in the bag, but i think the rest is open season. Fun times for LA college football. I really do want Sark to bring you guys back, so I can really see if Mora is all he's pumped up to be. I want the Bruins to beat SC when they're really are SC.

#450 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 01:04 PM

I think Juju, Adoree, and Mama were going to SC all along lol. I actually really think they're been silents for some time and just decided to all commit on NSD for the press. My bad about that secondary comment, I forgot how strong you guys recruit there. It is the front 7 that you guys are hurting right now with all of early exits and graduations.

I'm really excited for this upcoming recruiting cycle. We can finally see if SC still has their hold on the in-state talent or if UCLA really has caught up. A lot of fun recruiting battles are coming up. I personally think that you guys got Iman Marshall and Houston already in the bag, but i think the rest is open season. Fun times for LA college football. I really do want Sark to bring you guys back, so I can really see if Mora is all he's pumped up to be. I want the Bruins to beat SC when they're really are SC.

It's funny, until Sarkisian took over, Adoree Jackson wasn't considering USC seriously because of Lane Kiffin.  I always thought Mama would be coming.  The one that had everyone wondering was Juju.  He was supposed to be all USC, but last week (or the week before), at the LB Poly banquet he finished his speech with "Go Ducks".  From all indications, he was telling people he was going to Oregon after a visit there.  As late as Monday, he told his parents he was going to Oregon and surprised them at his announcement which is why his mother started crying. 

I've been reading a lot of stuff about Mora's recruiting this year.  I know you guys were expecting some big name commits to flip over potentially, but it didn't work out for whatever reasons.  I'm not sure if it's true but apparently a lot of recruits were turned off by Mora's recruiting pitches because he wasn't selling the school and instead selling himself as coach.  Apparently it came off as really arrogant. 

But again, that's just what I read on some of the premium boards I subscribe too for recruiting.  

I would love to see USC/UCLA in the top ten and go at it for the next 4-5 years. That would be awesome for football here in LA.

#451 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,938 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 02:45 PM

It's funny, until Sarkisian took over, Adoree Jackson wasn't considering USC seriously because of Lane Kiffin. I always thought Mama would be coming. The one that had everyone wondering was Juju. He was supposed to be all USC, but last week (or the week before), at the LB Poly banquet he finished his speech with "Go Ducks". From all indications, he was telling people he was going to Oregon after a visit there. As late as Monday, he told his parents he was going to Oregon and surprised them at his announcement which is why his mother started crying.

I've been reading a lot of stuff about Mora's recruiting this year. I know you guys were expecting some big name commits to flip over potentially, but it didn't work out for whatever reasons. I'm not sure if it's true but apparently a lot of recruits were turned off by Mora's recruiting pitches because he wasn't selling the school and instead selling himself as coach. Apparently it came off as really arrogant.

But again, that's just what I read on some of the premium boards I subscribe too for recruiting.

I would love to see USC/UCLA in the top ten and go at it for the next 4-5 years. That would be awesome for football here in LA.

From what I read, was that Adoree has been all SC since he moved into the state. The rumor went to as far as having a Serra coach contact him and move him to the school, but you know how rumors are around this time of the year lol. I never really doubted that those 3 weren't going to end up at SC. It was funny how Juju rolled up into the gym in a UCLA track suit too lol.

Ahhhh, thanks for the insight. I read on premium boards as well and they're very bias towards UCLA and its nice to hear from the other side of the pond. And yaa, UCLA was in the mix for a lot of kids and came very close to a great class. What really heart was that UCLA dropped the ball on Joe Mixon and Royce Freeman early in the process and wasn't able to recover from that. And then we continued to recruit Mixon and because of that we lost out on Ballage who went to ASU. So there was a lot of screw up on the coaching staff part and hopefully they work that out. The other incident that rally hurt us was how parents from the south refused to sign the LOI for a couple southern recruits. Really sad when it comes down to that, but I guess that is just how it goes around that part of the country.

With that being said, I'm still very happy about the recruiting class he brought in. Addressed a lot of needs and left some scholars for next year.

Edited by Icker, February 06, 2014 - 02:52 PM.

• 40,395 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 03:00 PM

BkVRp_PCEAAYQb5.png

yo.

#453 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,938 posts

Posted April 14, 2014 - 03:29 PM

^^Read they're looking pretty shoddy in thier spring practices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users