LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 16, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Only? Damn, that's not that great.

Thanks Kiffin. Smh.

DAT Lee Corso tho.

Better than being unranked.

It also matters what happens to teams in front of them, so we'll see.

#422 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted November 17, 2013 - 01:16 AM

I'll say this about Coach O, he deserves a shot at the HC gig for at least next year.

Last year of sanctions so if worse comes to worse, he doesn't do well and the head coaching job is more appealing to coaches because no sanctions involved.

But Coach O understands what USC is about. He loves the university and tradition of the football program. He's a players coach and I think if he can bring in a better offensive coordinator (and maybe a defensive coordinator, not sold on Pendergast yet), USC could be looking at the best hire they could make for the Trojans.

#423 mrclutch

mrclutch

Rookie

• 1,155 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:michael cooper

Posted November 17, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Lee played his ass off last night coming out for that HUGE fourth down catch and grab on basically one leg. Excited overall for these group of players going forward

• 40,431 posts

Posted November 18, 2013 - 02:35 AM

Report: USC Interviewed Jack Del Rio During Broncos Bye Week

Jack-Del-Rio.jpg

yo.

#425 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted December 01, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Lot's of chatter tonight about Chris Petersen. 

USC is in Boise tonight interviewing him for a second time. 

#426 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 08:22 AM

Petersen ultimately decides to stay at Boise again. He loves it there, can't blame him.

#427 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,986 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 10:35 AM

I hope you guys go with Sarkisan, he seems like a pretty great fit for the program.

#428 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 11:08 AM

https://twitter.com/...586729827508224

Steve Sarkisian has accepted the USC head coaching position

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#429 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 11:48 AM

Sarkisian was my third choice behind Petersen and Franklin so I'm completely on board with the hire.  He is also friends with my uncle so that's cool 

• 40,431 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 01:38 PM

Okay WC, I assume you're probably LN's expert on these things, specifically regarding Sark. So tell us, or at least me, what are his greatest strengths and weaknesses and how optimistic now are you looking forward to next season? What are your expectations?

yo.

#431 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,198 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 02:36 PM

Not a huge fan of Sark. He's a good recruiter but he's also an unknown as a head coach.

I hope he brings a spread to USC but I have a feeling he'll go back to USC mode and run a single back offense again

As long as he's multiple I'll be fine. I wanted an offensive genius and while he's an offensive mind im not sure how innovative he really is
Posted Image

#432 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,986 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 02:42 PM

He's basically a Kiffen twin.

#433 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 02:58 PM

Okay WC, I assume you're probably LN's expert on these things, specifically regarding Sark. So tell us, or at least me, what are his greatest strengths and weaknesses and how optimistic now are you looking forward to next season? What are your expectations?

I think the issue (and you will see it with Icker's comment) is that he is linked to Lane Kiffin so everyone assumes they are the same. 

They are not. 

Yes they coached together while at USC, were co-OC's during the Leinart/Bush years, and he is best friends with Kiffin, but they are two different people. 

Sarkisian is a players coach.  Players like him and he cares for his players. He's not an arrogant prick like Kiffin and will do well back home.  

His shining quality is he is a very good recruiter and has caused USC issues the past few years in the recruiting scene.  He recruits west coast guys very well, which is something that Kiffin had issues doing so it's time we get back to getting the guys in our back yard. 

Offensively, he likes to mix it up.  I always felt that Sarkisian was a better coordinator than Kiffin and the plus is that he works with the QB's.  He knows the style that USC likes to play so you will see a west coast offense but with different formations which probably includes a spread look.  

Defensively is where there is concern.  He is most likely bringing Justin Wilcox from UW with him and he is known to be a good defensive coordinator but I think we could do better at that spot. 

We lose Coach Orgeron who wants to be a head coach again somewhere so that hurts but Sarkisian will be bringing in one of the nation's top recruiters in Tosh Lupoi so the recruiting will continue to be strong and may be even better now that they are at USC. 

USC fans are angry but that's expected.  Sarkisian deserves a shot to coach back home and show what he can do.  Every coaching hire is a gamble, too many act like they know what will happen.  Sarkisian did well at a program that was struggling.  

I had hopes for someone like James Franklin, but USC felt they needed someone with ties on the west coast which is what Sarkisian has.  Is it the greatest hire they could have made? No, but I don't think it's a bad hire at all. Every coach has its negatives and positives, but what matters is results moving forward. 

Next season was going to be a struggle for whichever coach was hired.  Last year of sanctions then we have a clean slate.  Depth will be a concern.  Sarkisian could struggle in his first year, maybe a .500 or slightly over year.  In two years we'll see how good he is.  Lots of outrage but there was also outrage when Pete Carroll was named coach.  Also, Carroll wanted Sarkisian to succeed him when he left but our old AD did not want that. 

#434 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,198 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 03:08 PM

Sarkisian is definitely not kiffin. There is a reason Oakland wanted Sark before kiffin

I think Sark can be successful but he's unproven as a coach. At a school like Washington you see a coach gain experience but gaining experience and competing for championships are 2 different things

At USC following next year the job is to compete for championships

I hope he's that guy.
Posted Image

#435 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,986 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 05:02 PM

Recruits well, but doesn't get the most out of his players. To me, that equates Kiffin. They may be very different personalities, but they still share the same results.

Do any of you SC fans feel that the program has lost it's luster with these head coaches rejecting your program. Kind of like what UCLA went through with the basketball program.

#436 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted December 02, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Recruits well, but doesn't get the most out of his players. To me, that equates Kiffin. They may be very different personalities, but they still share the same results.

Do any of you SC fans feel that the program has lost it's luster with these head coaches rejecting your program. Kind of like what UCLA went through with the basketball program.

Nope not at all. 

Petersen has rejected every major program that has come his way the last few years.  He loves Boise State and that's where he wants to be.  The big market doesn't seem to be for him, but I could see him making a slight move west to coach Washington if it's offered.

Sumlin was negotiating a deal before his family had reservations about moving to Los Angeles. 

There's so much more than it just being about the football program.  It's about cost of living and lifestyle changes for people. It's the same way for any sport just like the Lakers. 

The luster is not lost.  It's not about the football program because it will always be a storied program, but it takes a certain person to thrive in the Los Angeles market.  Pete Carroll thrived because he was a rockstar and Lane Kiffin failed because he was dull as a rock and shut out the media which you cannot do in LA. 

Sarkisian is a better person than Kiffin.  He understands USC because this is home for him.  

• 40,431 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 04:51 PM

A bit of unprofessional of Ed-O to just quit and not even stick around for the bowl game or is it warranted in your eyes?

Orgeron.jpg

Edited by    , December 03, 2013 - 04:56 PM.

yo.

#438 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted December 03, 2013 - 06:23 PM

I think it was the right thing for CEO to do.  

Staying around would cause some issues with the players and Sarkisian because all the way through the bowl game you would have to hear how much the players love CEO and how they wish he were the coach. 

The players were going to be upset with CEO leaving regardless so it's better that it was done sooner rather than later.  Allows the players to get over it and focus on the bowl game, while getting used to Sarkisian. 

• 40,431 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 02:39 PM

yo.

#440 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Great W by the Trojans yesterday.  Finishing the season with 10 wins after everything that went on this year is pretty awesome.  

Now to finish off recruiting strongly and start the Sark era. 

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users