452 replies to this topic

#361 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted August 29, 2013 - 12:16 PM

New season starts tonight @ Hawaii! 

Don't have high expectations this season, but looking forward to seeing a more aggressive defense on the field and some stud true freshman getting a lot of playing time.  

• 40,431 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 02:22 PM

Has the starting QB finally been named yet? Is there a clear advantage in your opinion on either side? Who's got the higher ceiling?

yo.

#363 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 06:01 PM

Has the starting QB finally been named yet? Is there a clear advantage in your opinion on either side? Who's got the higher ceiling?

Kessler is starting tonight. By all accounts he has outplayed Wittek.

I think Wittek has more NFL potential because of his size and arm, but Kessler can be a better college QB and has more mobility.

#364 b.diddy2417

b.diddy2417

Rookie

• 312 posts
  • Name:Brian
  • Fan Since:since i was 5

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Our defense is looking good

#365 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Defense looking great. Offense affected by Kiffin's vanilla play calling

#366 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:16 PM

Watch the playbook magically open for Wittek. This was all by design by Kiffin. He wants Wittek as QB, not Kessler.

#367 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Oh look what happens when you're AGGRESSIVE

#368 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 08:36 PM

Defense looks awesome. Definitely a change from the Monte Kiffin era

#369 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted August 29, 2013 - 10:53 PM

Thoughts on the game:

Very good game by the defense.  Leaps and bounds better than the Monte Kiffin Tampa 2 defense from the last few years.  Worried about our cornerback position as two of the main guys were hurt tonight.  Kennard was a beast and we didn't have Breslin tonight so that's something to look forward to in the coming weeks.

Offensively...

Yikes.  Neither quarterback were great and neither were terrible.  Kessler has better accuracy while Wittek has the arm strength.  I think Kiffin will go with Wittek though, that's who he wants as quarterback and an argument can be made that Wittek performed better than Kessler, although Kiffin did not help Kessler with his limited play calling. 

Running game got better in the second half.  I'm high on the Justin Davis kid, been looking forward to seeing play and he didn't disappoint tonight.  Tre Madden looked good as well, kid was supposed to be key last season but tore his ACL.

Our line needs to desperately improve.  I'm scared to think what Stanford is going to do to us. 

Just gotta get better offensively.  This team has the talent, just need to put it together.

#370 mrclutch

mrclutch

Rookie

• 1,156 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:michael cooper

Posted August 30, 2013 - 12:45 AM

Jesus what can I say other than it looks opposite of the last two years(specifically 2012) where the offense could put up points like crazy but the defense couldn't stop an old lady.

Edited by mrclutch, August 30, 2013 - 12:46 AM.

#371 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 08:06 PM

Lane Kiffin would make Peyton Manning look like Ryan Leaf. 

#372 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted September 07, 2013 - 09:37 PM

Fire Lane Kiffin.

Lol.

#373 KB24

KB24

Off The Bench

• 2,579 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Fan Since:It's in my blood
  • Fav. Laker:Magic and Kobe

Posted September 08, 2013 - 12:52 AM

If Haden doesn't do anything he's just as bad as Lane.
1985 Lakers Championship ring. LA 4 BOS 2.
http://i41.tinypic.com/5v7qdj.jpg

#374 mrclutch

mrclutch

Rookie

• 1,156 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:michael cooper

Posted September 08, 2013 - 07:40 AM

Annnnnd wow what a surprise ... The passing game and PLAY calling was so bad yesterday I'm embarrassed that lane kiffin STILL hasn't been fired yet SMH I can't believe the defense(who has been playing great) only really gave up 3 points! And the offense STILL! Found a way to screw it up and lose >.< I'm so disgusted right now with kiffin and his every other play is a bubble screen to lee play calling. I'd also like to point out that if Haden fails to do something about this his ass will be on the chopping block soon enough as well... Trojan ALUMS don't like seeing us lose 10-7 to wazzu..
And as far as Kessler and wittek.. I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt with the horrible play calling on offense but even then when they had the chance to push the ball a little down field they were horrible! It just looks like they don't practice at all on offense out there and just sit on there couch all week until game day lol.

#375 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 11:31 AM

I understand the spot that Haden is in.  Personally, I think that Haden was hoping to get through the season, let Kiffin go, and hire a new coach with sanctions coming to an end. 

Unfortunately, that plan may not work because Haden may need to let Kiffin go to show the fans and alumni that this will not happen under him. 

When Haden let Kevin O'Neil go as the head coach of the basketball team, he had a list for a year of potential new coaches for the program so he was on top of it.  Haden is an intelligent guy, he knows that change needs to be made but he also has to be politically correct while Kiffin is the coach. 

Kiffin is done at USC.  The program is completely dead under his watch. 

#376 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,113 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted September 08, 2013 - 04:15 PM

Better get on the phone and try to snatch up Kirby Smart

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,431 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 07:27 PM

How about Max Browne?

http://www.sbnation....ire-lane-kiffin

John Ireland @LAIreland

I have a feeling this won't be the only time a fire lane is used this way at the Coliseum this year pic.twitter.com/p5rZNC4Qnw

yo.

#378 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,987 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 08:06 PM

I'm a UCLA fan, so I obviously have a stake in the affairs of the Trpjans. It's hilarious that you guys keep a recruiter as your head coach. The man is playing scared football. There's a reason why those Quarterbacks are on an USC roster and he needs to treat them like the blue chip prospects that they are. It's just sad that week 2 in the season that he has yet to implement an offense that works around Kessler's (the better quarterback) skillset and the talented players around him. These truly are dark days for USC, and as a UCLA fan, it's about time lol. GO KIFFEN!

• 40,431 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 08:17 PM

yo.

#380 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted September 08, 2013 - 09:17 PM

I'm a UCLA fan, so I obviously have a stake in the affairs of the Trpjans. It's hilarious that you guys keep a recruiter as your head coach. The man is playing scared football. There's a reason why those Quarterbacks are on an USC roster and he needs to treat them like the blue chip prospects that they are. It's just sad that week 2 in the season that he has yet to implement an offense that works around Kessler's (the better quarterback) skillset and the talented players around him. These truly are dark days for USC, and as a UCLA fan, it's about time lol. GO KIFFEN!

What many don't realize was that after Pete Carroll left, no big time coach was coming to USC with the looming sanctions.  USC's first call was to Steve Sarkisian and he turned it down (a little inside info for you guys).  When an elite program like USC has an opening and no one wants to take it over, it wasn't a good sign and it definitely was alarming when they settled on Kiffin. 

USC has always been able to recruit and honestly I'm surprised with the lack of Kiffin's people skills, how he is able to recruit players.   The one big miss was that of D'Anthony Thomas, who went to Oregon last minute, but it wasn't much of a surprise as Kiffin told Thomas that he'd play defense for USC, not offense.  Not joking.

Kiffin's problem is his arrogance and stubbornness.  It took three years to get rid of his father who's defense was not suited for the college game and he has never relinquished play calling duties since arriving.  Other coaches have had the OC title, but Kiffin has been the one calling plays and it really pissed me off when he got rid of Kennedy Pola as "offensive coordinator" and promoted QB coach Clay Helton to "offensive coordinator" yet it's Kiffin who calls the plays.  

Kiffin's days are numbered at SC.  I have zero doubt about that.  There will be plenty of coaches out there that can bring USC back to prominence, its too bad we have to wait a few months to see it play out.  

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users