452 replies to this topic

#301 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted November 17, 2012 - 04:41 PM

Pedro Moura@PedroMoura
Lane Kiffin said he’s been assured by Pat Haden he will be back next season no matter what happens this year.

I'm boycotting '13

#302 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted November 17, 2012 - 05:14 PM

Don't put too much stock into that.

Just two weeks ago Mike Brown had the vote of confidence from Jim Buss :cool2:

If he loses to ND, which is looking like we are going to get smoked now, a 7-5 season with this roster is not something that can just be overlooked.

At the very least, we NEED a new defensive coordinator.

• 40,396 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 12:41 AM

John Gruden to USC... Lets go!!

Oh how I wish!

yo.

#304 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted November 18, 2012 - 06:36 PM

Barkley out vs ND. Wittek will get the start. Welcome to college football kid, first start against one of the best defenses in the country

#305 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,084 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 20, 2012 - 08:16 PM

should've entered the draft Matt

Pau Gasol is GONE

#306 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted November 20, 2012 - 08:21 PM

No kidding.
Posted Image

#307 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts

Posted November 21, 2012 - 03:49 PM

Judge says NCAA 'malicious' in USC investigation
By ANTHONY McCARTNEY (Associated Press) | The Associated Press – 27 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The NCAA was ''malicious'' in its investigation of a former Southern California assistant football coach who was linked in a report to a scandal surrounding Heisman Trophy-winning tailback Reggie Bush, a judge said Wednesday.

The NCAA's report on ethical breaches by Todd McNair was flawed, and the former coach has shown a probability he can win his defamation claims, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Frederick Shaller said.

The NCAA had sought to have the case dismissed, but Shaller disagreed. He said after reviewing sealed documents in the McNair inquiry, which was tied to a gift scandal involving Heisman Trophy-winner Reggie Bush, he was convinced that the actions of NCAA investigators were ''over the top.''

His ruling states emails between an investigative committee member, an NCAA worker and a person who works in the agency's appeals division ''tend to show ill will or hatred'' toward McNair.

Laura Wytsma, an attorney for the NCAA, declined comment but said during the hearing that the ruling would be appealed. A message to the agency was not immediately returned.

McNair sued the NCAA in June 2011, claiming the association's investigation was one-sided and his future earnings were hurt by its report on the scandal, which led to sanctions against USC. The NCAA determined McNair lied about knowing about some of the gifts lavished on Bush's family by two aspiring sports marketers who hoped to land the future NFL player as a client.

The NCAA imposed a two-year bowl ban and scholarship restrictions on USC last year as a result of the Bush case. McNair was prohibited from contacting recruits and his USC contract was not renewed.
Shaller said he would unseal the entire inquiry into McNair, but would hold off on release of the records for a month to allow an appeal. ''I think the public has a right to know,'' he said.

McNair's attorney Bruce Broillet declined comment, citing the sealing order in the case. He said during the hearing that the records showed the agency knew it was relying on false statements about McNair's conduct and wanted to ''nail'' the coach, who also played in the NFL.

''They wrote evidence the way they wanted it to be - that's malice,'' Broillet said.

Wytsma rejected that contention in court, saying the evidence in the case show the committee that investigated McNair was trying to get its report right.

''They were struggling to get the right result,'' she said, adding that several members of the investigative committee were prominent lawyers and legal scholars.

She also argued that records in the case should not be unsealed, saying it would hurt future investigations. The NCAA does not have subpoena power, she said.

Edited by Projekt, November 21, 2012 - 03:51 PM.

#308 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted November 23, 2012 - 10:27 AM

Honestly I just wish the NCAA would give us back some scholarships, that's always been the worst about all this. That particular punishment was way over the top when you look at the #'s.

Yet all these other schools get a slap on the wrist when they do something wrong.

#309 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,084 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 24, 2012 - 08:23 PM

7-5 for 'SC. Still think Kiffin needs time?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#310 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 08:23 PM

Honestly I just wish the NCAA would give us back some scholarships, that's always been the worst about all this. That particular punishment was way over the top when you look at the #'s.

Yet all these other schools get a slap on the wrist when they do something wrong.

Wish Paul Dee was still alive. I would have loved to hear his response when the NCAA drops the hammer on Miami.

#311 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 08:24 PM

7-5 for 'SC. Still think Kiffin needs time?

His time was up a long time ago.

#312 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted November 24, 2012 - 08:43 PM

Kiffin is done.

Despite what Haden said you just do not have this type of season, lose to all your rivals and keep your job.

The ONLY way I see Kiffin staying is if he agrees to bring in an offensive coordinator and new defensive coordinator.

#313 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted November 26, 2012 - 10:59 AM

Disturbing numbers post by a guy on the Rivals.com USC boards, check this out:

We played a total of 720 minutes of football. We lead for 388:41 of them. About 53.8% of the time. However, 180 of those minutes came against teams that went a combined 6-30 (Cal, Colorado, and Hawaii). Another 60 came against Syracuse. Against teams with winning records we lead for 189:41 out of 480 minutes. 39.5% of the time.

We never held a lead over Oregon, UCLA, or Notre Dame.

We played 8 teams with winning records. We went 3-5 against them. Our 'impressive' victories? Against 7-5 Syracuse, 7-5 Washington, and 7-5 Arizona State.

The record of the teams we beat was a combined 32-51. Our victories came against opponents that went an average of 4-8 to 5-7

Of the teams with winning records that we beat, the only one to beat a ranked team was Washington, who beat Stanford and Oregon State.

We gave up an average of 24.6 points a game. Against teams with winning records we gave up an average of 33.5 points.
We scored an average of 34.2 points a game. Against teams with winning records we scored an average of 27.8

Our average game against a team with a winning record was a 27-33 loss

We gave up 276 first downs, an average of 23 a game.

Our opponents scored with 80% efficiency in the red zone. We ended the year scoring 76.92% ourselves, largely due to a soft early schedule. It fell every month. August-September: 86.67%, October: 76.4%. November: 70%. This is interesting because the number of red zone attempts actually increased every month.

We were outgained by teams with winning records 3488 to 3666, yielding an average of 458 yards a game.

We scored a grand total of 62 points in the 3rd quarter (avg 5.1 points) , being shut out 5 times.

We were shut out the entire second half twice, and only scored 3 against ND the entire 2nd half.

We are 110th in the nation in penalties, giving up an average of 8.3 a game for 99 yards.

We threw 17 interceptions and gave up 14 fumbles, for an average of 2.5 turnovers a game and a -2 turnover margin on the year. 11 of those interceptions came in our last 5 games of the year (It is not a coincidence that this was when we played the majority of the teams with winning records) We ended November -7 in turnover ratio.

Receivers not named Lee or Woods caught a grand total of 22 passes. 19 to Agholor, 1 to Blackwell, 1 to Farmer, and 1 to Flournoy. Roughly 10.6% of all passes to wrs (meaning 89.4% of all passes to Wrs were caught by Woods or lee). Only 8 players caught more than 2 passes on the year. (DJ morgan, Flournoy, Blackwell, and Farmer caught 1, Cope-Fitzpatrick caught 2)

#314 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 01:00 PM

Documents appear to show improper NCAA involvement in USC case

Documents that the NCAA is aggressively trying to keep under seal appear to show improper involvement by NCAA staff and committee members in the landmark USC decision more than two years ago.

A judge's decision made public last week – and obtained in full by CBSSports.com -- shows that at least three persons may have improperly tried to influence the NCAA's powerful infractions committee to find former USC assistant Todd McNair complicit in the Reggie Bush case. Lawyers for McNair are trying to show the association violated its own rules and procedures in investigating their client.

wo non-voting members of the NCAA infractions committee and NCAA staffer allegedly tried to influence voting members inside the 10-person committee. The judge's decision contains excerpts of emails that he has determined show “ill will or hatred” toward McNair.

McNair is suing the NCAA for an undisclosed amount for defamation of character citing irreparable damage to his career. The information was disclosed after a motion by NCAA lawyers to dismiss the case was denied.

Information in Judge Frederick Shaller's decision reveal in detail the apparent lengths the NCAA went to cast McNair – as one NCAA staffer put it -- as “a lying morally bankrupt criminal, in my view, and a hypocrite of the highest order.”

The duties of that staffer, believed to be infractions committee liaison Shep Cooper, are basically administrative -- to assist the committee on infractions on their needs and gathering information. Cooper is a former NCAA enforcement rep.

Shaller said that evidence provided by McNair's attorneys show the NCAA had a “wreckless disregard for the truth.” Emails between Cooper and committee members Rodney Uphoff, a Missouri law professor, and Roscoe Howard, a former U.S. attorney, were circulated “covertly” in violation of NCAA rules according to the document.

Shallers' decision uses only last names “Cooper” “Uphoff” and “Howard” but the document identifies by their NCAA duties and titles relevant to the case.

The document also refers to a four-page email Howard wrote to infractions committee members trying to persuade them that McNair lied numerous times. The entire email is not included in last week's decision but is summarized by Howard saying, “I hope none of you was insulted by this rant … USC's approach to this case I have found very troubling and downright insulting.”

Shaller, a USC grad, already has concluded McNair has proven “actual malice” on the NCAA's part in the lawsuit. McNair contends that false information produced and gathered by the NCAA was central to his appeal that was denied by the association in 2011. He sued the NCAA later that year.

In finding McNair and USC guilty of rules violations, the NCAA used a phone call between the coach and would-be marketer Lloyd Lake, a convicted felon, as evidence. The NCAA concluded that Lake's description of the call was credible and rejected McNair's version. An NCAA investigator got the year of the call wrong (2005, instead of 2006) while interviewing McNair.

The NCAA admitted it had telephone records showing that Lake initiated the call, contrary to his testimony to the association. Lake told the NCAA McNair had called him in early hours of Jan. 8, 2006. That conclusion according to Shaller's decision “could reasonably cast doubt on the occurrence of the … conversation.” The NCAA “should have known” parts of the infractions report regarding that call were “demonstrably untrue.”

Largely on the basis of that call and Lake's testimony, McNair was found to guilty of unethical conduct by the NCAA. Shaller's decision says McNair's attorneys had proven the NCAA infractions report on USC “contained material false statements regarding” the phone call.

An email from infractions committee member, Eleanor Myers, admits to a “botched” interview with McNair according to Shaller's decision.

On the basis of those issues Shaller said last week he would unseal the entire McNair inquiry waiting 30 days to give the NCAA time to file an appeal. The public's access to the file could reveal the inner workings of one of the most contentious cases in NCAA history. Bush was found to taken benefits and cash from two would-be marketing agents. The school was hit with a two-year bowl ban and the loss of 30 scholarships over three seasons. That particularly penalty has two years to run.

McNair was given a one-year show cause order by the NCAA which his lawsuit contends damaged his reputation such that he hasn't been able to find work in his chosen field. McNair, a former NFL player, was a Trojans' assistant from 2004-2009.

The lawsuit was filed in Los Angeles. The fact that Shaller's undergrad degree is from USC is not necessarily considered a conflict in legal circles. Shaller would have to have a personal interest in the outcome of the case.

The NCAA infractions committee hears testimony from enforcement officials and the accused before assigning penalties in infractions cases. The enforcement and infractions process was streamlined last month by the NCAA.

#315 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 02:11 PM

Those mother [expletive]ers.

I hate the NCAA

#316 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 02:33 PM

Rumors circulating that USC is going to sue the NCAA and that Haden has already instructed Lane to recruit for 25.

#317 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 02:47 PM

Rumors circulating that USC is going to sue the NCAA and that Haden has already instructed Lane to recruit for 25.

Hopefully that's the case, but would be very surprised considering Haden is not necessarily Mr. Bad Ass.

#318 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts

Posted November 27, 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hopefully that's the case, but would be very surprised considering Haden is not necessarily Mr. Bad Ass.

That's what confuses me here. Haden has wanted to put this all in the past and move on, so why would he want to drag this on any further?

#319 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 06:33 PM

Monte Kiffin resigned, but will coach bowl game.

#320 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted November 29, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Check this blog post out. This is from a fan who calls himself "uscpsyco". Simply put this guy is a hardcore fan who has not missed a game in over 20 years, he runs his tailgate every weekend home or away. He has been pretty spot on in the past with information he's given out and this was posted shortly before the Monte Kiffin news broke. Anyways there are some big updates in here especially the last part:

It’s been a wild week of rumors for USC.

It’s not uncommon for rumors to swirl in the days following an unsuccessful season but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like this.

Of course, a lot of it is fueled by social media where one person’s speculation can quickly turn into a rapidly spreading rumor. Especially on Twitter.

Over the last couple of days I’ve been the recipient of some credible information about several rumors so I can confirm some and dispel others.

Buckle in…

First the quick hitters.

I’ll start with the bad news. The Sun Bowl in El Paso is a lock. It’s bad news because nobody really wants to go to El Paso for New Year’s. But I’ll be there so book your tickets and join me! Also, there is no truth to the rumors that the team might vote to veto the game. I was told there’s actually a good chance the team would veto the game if they could but Haden won’t allow it. Sounds like there’s a lot of apathy after the disappointing season.

This one is new and I haven’t seen it circulating anywhere yet but I’ve been told that Monte Kiffin is “gone.” The buyout has been negotiated for weeks. If this is true I don’t know how the heck USC kept a lid on it. Especially since you expect they’d be in the midst of a search for his replacement. The fact that this hasn’t been leaked yet gives me reason to question it but the sources seem reliable.

There have been rumors and denials that USC has been in contact with Tedford to become USC’s Offensive Coordinator. This rumor appears to be true but it’s very preliminary. Nothing is imminent here. Since Kiffin probably won’t give up play calling duties unless Haden pries them away from him my guess is that Tedford would come to USC as much to be a mentor as to be OC. Tedford has been a mentor to Kiffin for years but I don’t see what Tedford could gain from a move like this.

As for Lane Kiffin, his job is safe. I haven’t heard any real rumors about him getting fired but I know a lot of USC fans are calling for his head. It’s not going to happen. Not only has Haden thrown his full support behind Kiffin but he’s put together a great recruiting class that USC probably

doesn’t want to jeopardize by firing Kiffin.

Finally the big one. If you aren’t up to date on the recent developments in Todd McNair’s defamation lawsuit against the NCAA you should read this.

In a nutshell, the judge in that case basically said that the NCAA had a reckless disregard for the truth, wanted to stick it to McNair (and by deduction USC) so the NCAA manipulated the evidence to justify the sanctions they wanted to levy. The judge said the NCAA displayed malice, ill will, hatred and a bunch of other things you don’t want coming from a sanctioning body that acts as both judge and jury. The funny thing is that even the NCAA’s contrived infractions don’t justify the crushing sanctions levied against USC.

So the result of this is that the judge in the McNair trial is going to unseal all the evidence after giving the NCAA an opportunity to appeal. Well this is music to USC’s ears. I have heard from four different sources now that USC is poised to take action against the NCAA.

Full disclosure is important before I go any further. While there are several people corroborating the following either in part or in whole, there is another person who says none of it is true. My strongest sources who stand behind the following information are tied to the athletic department. However, I’ve talked to another person with close ties to attorneys representing USC and the Board of Trustees. He says he has heard nothing to substantiate what you are about to read. So take this all with an appropriately sized grain of salt. We are dealing with rumors here. A writer for the Reign of Troy blog also cites a source who states what you are about to read is untrue.

Nothing is official until it comes straight from USC. That goes for everything you’ve already read in this blog and everything you’re about to read. So here it goes…

I received an email from someone with very close ties to the athletic department and quoting sources within the athletic department. It states that USC is going to attack the NCAA as mercilessly as they attacked USC. USC is going to sue to get everything back that was taken away including immediate restoration of scholarships, vacated victories, vacated titles (assuming BCS title and 2011 Pac-12 South championship) and a vault full of money for damages, defamation, lost revenues, etc. To put it simply, USC plans to take the NCAA out to the shed. They also want Reggie’s Heisman reinstated but that’s not an NCAA decision. And I imagine all this will have the effect of restoring Pete Carroll’s reputation and legacy, which have been unfairly tarnished.

The email also said that USC President C. L. Max Nikias is concerned about the effects the sanctions have had on USC’s image and reputation so he is fully supporting the legal action against the NCAA.

There is no specific timeline for any of this. But as soon as the documents are unsealed (if they are unsealed) USC is ready to unleash the wrath of hell upon the NCAA.

Another source not only corroborated this but said that USC’s Board of Trustees voted unanimously last week to sue the NCAA and that USC will spare no expense in going after the NCAA and that Haden instructed Lane to “go after 25 guys.” (25 allowed scholarships rather than sanction-limited 15 scholarships.) I have to assume this means have 25 ready and willing to sign if we get the sanctions lifted. It doesn’t mean Kiffin should sign 25 guys in defiance of the sanctions.

Like I said, these are leaks that have been shared with me and corroborated by others who have heard the same or similar leaks. It’s worth noting that most of my information is coming from ties to the athletic department and they are not immune to rumors – it’s possible these are just rumors circulating through the department. Based on the language used in the email I received I doubt this is just a rumor but anything is possible. And as I said, the one person I spoke to with high level ties in other departments tells me that none of the rumors about USC suing the NCAA are true. Yet.

I don’t get paid to do this but I invested a lot of time on this and did my best to verify the information that was shared with me. No, I did not attempt to get USC to verify any of this. I’m not a journalist so I doubt anyone in the know would talk to me and if they did I doubt they would be prepared to confirm anything. Yet.

Sit tight friends. This could get interesting!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users